***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

What could the problem be?

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Gamblr
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

What could the problem be?

Postby Gamblr » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:38 pm

Hey guys,

I had my cj sitting in the garage for 6 months and obviously battery was gone completely I jump started it whenever I wanted to work on it but just got a new battery and my head unit and aircon and also the volt gauge I have wired in won’t work anymore except when I give it a good rev the aircon/heater will start working and gauge will turn on but the head unit won’t at all. I’ve checked all the fuses and everything is intact

What could the issue be?

Cheers

Gamblr
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Re: What could the problem be?

Postby Gamblr » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:38 pm

And power doors won’t work aswell

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:13 pm

As a guess since everything works when revved I'd say you have a low voltage problem, possibly caused by a short circuit somewhere or a faulty alternator/serpentine belt.

If you have a multimeter check the voltage across the battery and have someone rev the engine. If it's low, less than 10VDC then your charging system or battery is no good. When revved it should be around 14VDC (as long as it's over about 12VDC the battery will charge).

Also as you have added in a gauge check the wiring joins, it's possible that after sitting they have corroded or come loose causing a poor ground or short circuit (be sure to check inside any insulation).

Not 100% sure but constant jump starting may have caused some issues to the electronics. If you can get an OBDII reader on your car it may show some fault codes you can work on.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:13 pm

Sounds like you just need to adjust the throttle so it idles around 4000 rpm and your home and hose.

Lol

Seems a bit odd with a new battery installed

Check the basics. Whack a DMM over the battery and see what kind of voltage your getting across the terminals with car running and go from there

When was the last time the battery terminals were cleaned?

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:58 pm

Don't forget to check fuses for etacs ecu in glove box.
It controls central locking, mirrors, windows, etc
K+N drop in
RA intake
SS 4-2-1 Headers
Whiteline Strut Brace
Whiteline Rear Sway Bar
SuperPro Polyurethane Bushings
Paddle Shifters

Merlinised

Gamblr
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Gamblr » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:11 pm

Mooman wrote:As a guess since everything works when revved I'd say you have a low voltage problem, possibly caused by a short circuit somewhere or a faulty alternator/serpentine belt.

If you have a multimeter check the voltage across the battery and have someone rev the engine. If it's low, less than 10VDC then your charging system or battery is no good. When revved it should be around 14VDC (as long as it's over about 12VDC the battery will charge).

Also as you have added in a gauge check the wiring joins, it's possible that after sitting they have corroded or come loose causing a poor ground or short circuit (be sure to check inside any insulation).

Not 100% sure but constant jump starting may have caused some issues to the electronics. If you can get an OBDII reader on your car it may show some fault codes you can work on.

Just finished work, and hooked the battery up to the multimeter it read just above 12 when engine was turned off and then 11.7 when engine is on and being revved so definitely the alternator the battery and service lights also come on when being revved so time for a new alternator

Gamblr
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Gamblr » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:13 pm

bumblebee wrote:Sounds like you just need to adjust the throttle so it idles around 4000 rpm and your home and hose.

Lol

Seems a bit odd with a new battery installed

Check the basics. Whack a DMM over the battery and see what kind of voltage your getting across the terminals with car running and go from there

When was the last time the battery terminals were cleaned?

Lol atleast my idle will sound meaner, but yeah first thing in the morning I’ll give the terminals a clean before going to pick up a new alternator

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:59 am

Before you go nuts with a new alternator what do you want to do with the car down the track?
If you want to build an audio monster car then grab an alternator from USA. Theres a lot who make 370Amp lancer alternators delivered for under $800

Have a chat to these guys

http://www.mechman.com/alternators/mits ... 2008-2015/

When my alternator lets go i will get one of these

Return to “Electrical”