***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Louder horn for CJ?

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

mitsfan
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mitsfan » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:01 am

VRX_Pete:

Relay comes with horn not harness kit.

My right/left references are relative to your position when you are standing in front of car facing the engine, as when you are working on the front of the car. :)

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:24 am

VRX_Pete wrote:JaCe, so what's your thoughts, well worth the trouble?
Since you got the TM80/2 - that's going to be a 500 & 410 harmonized tone plus the left over lancer's other horn (which is may be the 500) - hence the too high pitch noise. Try putting the removed one back in to even things out and have the original dual harmonized tone.

Me, really considering the 300Hz truck one for a triple harmonized tone of 300/410/500 and a bit of oompf. :)

1. The leftover horn was disconnected so it's just the aftermarket ones in operation.

2. It's a bit high pitched/sharp- definitely a lot better than the stock ones but nowhere near as good as my previous Stebel horns which I've installed in my Civic and a few other cars. In other words, it doesn't have the same OOMPH and "GET OUTTA MY WAY" which the old Stebel ones in the sub $25 category had, but still good enough IMO.

3. The new red horn however does look nice through my grille :)

ps. If anyone with a stock CJ horn wants to do a video comparison for the forums I'm happy to participate :)

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:24 pm

Hmmm now to find a decently priced 300Hz Nautilus truck horn. Cheapest I can find on fleabay is around $89 from a place in Qld. :(
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

mitsfan
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mitsfan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:02 pm

OK, I have had a few weeks of real-world experience with the 300Hz Stebel horn added to my two OEM electric horns, and can now provide some meaningful feedback:

1. Yes, short beeps are still relatively friendly, with the 300Hz air horn not having time to get fully up to speed, which is a nice feature to maintain.

2. Sustained blasts (of a second or more) are much more effective with the additional 300Hz horn at discouraging intrusions into my immediate path (i.e. warning to avoid a possible collisions). Not only is the total horn volume louder, but the lower tone is automatically associated with larger vehicles, and when heard by other drivers their initial reaction is to take the warning noticeably more seriously.

I have waited a few weeks because I don't actually use the horn unless I need to - really! However, when I do need to the horn in earnest, I need an earnest horn, and the 300Hz horn fits the bill. I am very happy with the result, especially given the relatively low cost and the modest amount of work involved.

As noted on other forums, working out exactly what I was going to do took much longer than actually do it.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:05 pm

I agree at the friendly remark. The new horn still sounds relatively friendly compared to my Civic's Stebel horn.

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:06 pm

Help. :)
OK, so I finally got my Stebel Horn, so ready to hopefully to do tmrw. i'm a bit of a noob when it comes to car electrics, so I've had a look at the "instructions" on the back of the box and the Mitsubishi wiring diagrams and the "instructions" have confused me. I hope i am right that our cars are "with ground lead to horn button" - highlight in RED.
However, I have trouble understanding the bit circled in yellow. What's with the scissors? The horn is the switch, so I dont understand how the OEM horn GND is connected to the horn switch GND (other than common ground) and how or if I should sever that at all....

I've got the proposed wiring, have I missed something? (The doco and original wiring diag is below this pic)

ImageImage

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:22 pm

Some of the guys at the NSW meet today (24 Jan 2010) heard my horn- it's not that loud/powerful but I think it's considerably clearer and far more overt than the stock.

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:28 pm

I installed mine on Friday. Have the Stebel and 2 OEM horns. bloody loud, not too truck-ish.
The combined tone of 300, 410 & 500Hz plus the extra volume definately gives it a nice imposing purpose to the sound. Which is what I want.
Will post up pics and sound/video later on tonight or tmrw. :) I need to make "after" recording of the new tone....

ImageImage

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:48 am

Here is the sound of the OEM Mitsubish 410Hz and 500Hz horns:OEM_Horns_410500.wav - 0.54MB
Here is the sound of the Stebel 300Hz air horn in additon to the OEM horns:Stebel300_1.wav - 0.59MB

ImageImage

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:55 pm

Ah, welcome to the world of real horns! :)

ImageImage

bryzabone
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby bryzabone » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:47 am

Heres a good example of a horn here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zEH5GxPNO8

hehe... ;)
For every "Drive Safely" sign, shouldn't there be a "Resume Normal Driving" sign?

canberrachris
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby canberrachris » Sat May 21, 2011 11:39 pm

Just ordered the Stebel :)
thanks for the info and recommendations mitsfan

empror
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby empror » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:32 pm

realise this thread is long dead, but this was a really informative thread, and i'm definitely looking at the 300hz truck horn in the next few weeks. if i have pretty much zero knowledge of wiring, is it worth trying to do myself? or is it easier to get someone else to do it for me so I don't go breaking things..

BrownSound
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BrownSound » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:28 pm

If you buy it with the wiring harness it is extremely simple. You will also get the satisfaction and pride of doing it yourself - and save yourself some $.

If you get into any trouble I'm sure one of us with the horn can try and help you out. :D

Return to “Electrical”