***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Clicking Sound after A/C turned ON

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

misterclay
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Clicking Sound after A/C turned ON

Postby misterclay » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:26 pm

Hi,

Lately, I have noticed a constant Clicking Sound after I turned my A/C ON. The interval of the clicks are 30seconds...My current settings are FAN 2 sometimes 3, Temperature at 22C.

Do you think my freon is low or my compressor has a problem. My car is only 1month old and 1,200kms on the clock.

Your opinions are highly appreciated. Many thanks! :lol:
"The wicked world wanted me to crawl"

woofermew
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby woofermew » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:57 pm

Just a peace of mind before the techie explains the actual reason soon, its normal. My car does it too and so does alot of other lancers.

So no need to worry that your new lancer is playing up :)

Lethal_1
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS
Location: Sth Side Of Brisbane, Here @ Springwood, Qld, Australia.

Postby Lethal_1 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:15 pm

Yeahh ... I expressed the same concerns with MITSU on my 1,500K service.!

They said there is nothing wrong.! - It's normal like " woofermew " has said.!!

I just make it a note to turn the Air-Con off when I lock the car ...
When U start it next time, let the car start w/o Air-Con, & once running, turn it on ... 8)
ClubCJ Lifetime Member #0098
NA AUTOSPORTS AND ENGINEERING - 3808 3048

misterclay
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby misterclay » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:16 pm

thanks woof:) i've read one solution and they suggest try to increase my thermostat to 15C. BTW whats ur thermostat settings?

vi93r
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby vi93r » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:23 pm

Yea I do the same its off whenever I'm not in it (20C on mine its what I find comfy fan/ac on if its warm, fan on/ac off its its cool), theres a few noises that unsettled me at first that are perfectly normal on the lancer, other one not to worry about is the clunk when the car moves off forward after its been off for a few hours, forgotton what it was traction control self test I think.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:56 pm

Yes it is perfectly normal. It is the compressor's electro-mechanical clutch engaging and disengaging.

The cooler you require the air the less frequently it will happen, as it will use the compressor more, and for longer.

I usually keep my thermostat around the 20 to 25 mark, but it varies a lot depending on conditions and how I like it.

Hope you enjoy your Lancer!

misterclay
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby misterclay » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:16 pm

Thanks for all your kind opinions, now my worries are starting to fade. Its just (like most of us) I treat my new lancer as a baby and whenever I hear a weird noise (crying baby) I really panic!!! Honestly, my wife and I had a fight once and to the point she was asking me to choose between and her & my lancy, lol:) I almost chose my car:)

Going back to the clicking sound...I always make sure that A/C is off before engine start. I'll observe this evening the clicking interval will be reduced after adjusting my Thermostat from 24C to 15C. Will let you know the result. as long as Im reading your feedbacks that this is NORMAL Im happy:)

woofermew
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby woofermew » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:10 am

Yea we all go through this worrying stage when we first received our Lancers :)

As vi93r stated, if you have not noticed already there is also a "normal" cluck noise when you 1st take off from starting the engine.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:22 am

Oh yeah, that noise vi93r speaks of is the ABS/ASC unit doing it's self check. Happens when the vehicle is first moved forward after a start. Perfectly normal, it is even mentioned in the manual here in Australia.

misterclay
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby misterclay » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:21 am

ok, after observing it in a 15C temperature the clicking sound continues on & off. ive checked under the bonnet, ive noticed the hose connected to the freon refill cap has moist and it is cold, is this normal or it is leaking? now im worried again...

also my accelaration is fluctuating whenever i depress the gas pedal...and my tachometer is like playing up and down...:) any thoughts?

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:51 am

The clicking will continue. It's computer controlled. A lot of things affect how it operates, like outside air temp and required inside temp etc

the condensation and coldness on the pipes is an indicator that the air con is working, that is perfectly normal.

I don't understand what you mean by the acceleration fluctuating. Can you explain in more detail? If you are really concerned just pop into your dealership as I'm sure they will be able to help.

misterclay
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby misterclay » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:52 am

SIR-VRX wrote:The clicking will continue. It's computer controlled. A lot of things affect how it operates, like outside air temp and required inside temp etc

the condensation and coldness on the pipes is an indicator that the air con is working, that is perfectly normal.

I don't understand what you mean by the acceleration fluctuating. Can you explain in more detail? If you are really concerned just pop into your dealership as I'm sure they will be able to help.

thanks SIR, most probably this saturday i'll visit my service center and have it checked.

what i meant by fluctuating is having unpredictable ups and downs revs. When i accelerate (normal depress on gas) my rpm revs up from 2...then stocks up in 2.5 for around 2secs...then moves up to 3 then gears up. I really don't know if u understand me as im not good at technical terms:)

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:06 am

Is yours a CVT transmission? That would explain it..

slickthug
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby slickthug » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:26 am

is that the sound when you turn the key to on? i just assumed it was normal so i wont get worried. isnt it more of a ticking sound than a clicking?

misterclay
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby misterclay » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:32 pm

SIR-VRX wrote:Is yours a CVT transmission? That would explain it..

yes it is :D

Return to “Electrical”