***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Clicking Sound after A/C turned ON

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

misterclay
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby misterclay » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:36 pm

slickthug wrote:is that the sound when you turn the key to on? i just assumed it was normal so i wont get worried. isnt it more of a ticking sound than a clicking?

a bit louder when you turn the key to on. yes, it like a ticking sound.
"The wicked world wanted me to crawl"

slickthug
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby slickthug » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:57 pm

ok kool. saves me from worrying as well. just hate dealing with car problems. gotta find time to hassle the dealer and find the time to bring the car in.

hey but mine is manual. is it still the same then?

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:01 pm

The manual would be the same slickthug.

I was asking about the CVT in regards to the fluctuating engine speeds.

From your description, misterclay, that is normal behaviour, as the CVT constantly varies the gear ratio (and that will effect the RPM) to get the most optimum ratio and speed for the load requested of the engine.

misterclay
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby misterclay » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:35 am

update: i asked my brother to check and see if he will notice something, as explained by you guys he said that clicking sound on a/c is normal...but one thing he noticed is the pick-up of the car when he accelerates...the pickup is quite slow, as if it was pulling a heavy load. I have a schedule tomorrow in the dealership service center. i will keep you posted Happy B-day Club CJ :D
"The wicked world wanted me to crawl"

tmr_colt
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby tmr_colt » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:22 pm

I'll 2nd/3rd/4th/5th that.

Easy explanation

Somewhere in the car there's a temp sensor as part of the air con system (like what you'd have at home in your house... or inside your fridge).

You set your air con to a certain temp, so the system will continue to drive the air con until your desired cabin temperature is reached. This is controlled by one of the computers in your car, so it treats everything as either 'yes, within limits' or 'no, outside of limits'.

The clicking you're hearing could be a couple of things.

i. like mentioned it's the air conditioning clutch kicking in/out or
ii. more likely what you're hearing could be a relay for the system continually clicking

The computer 'flicks a switch' (aka relay) on or off whenever the cabin temp sensor reaches the desired temperature or falls outside of the desired temp. (pretty sure I just repeated myself in a different way heh).

The lower you set your in cabin temperature, the harder the entire system works and the more frequent you'll hear these clicking noises. Chances are that you'll never actually achieve the 'lowest' temp setting (just like trying to set your home A/C to 15deg and getting massive power bills).

Myself, I set my car, my house, work to 21deg all the time and it's a pretty good medium.

These noises are normal, hope that helps in some way.

Return to “Electrical”