***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Ralliart Turbo Timer???????

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

DStutter
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Ralliart Turbo Timer???????

Postby DStutter » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:03 am

Hey guys, just wanna know if anyone has figured how to install turbo timers in the ralliarts yet? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:28 am

I don't imagine it is easy, with all the electronics such as immobiliser, smart key, alarm etc.

It would be possible, but would not be easy. Nor would a normal one work. Would need to be integrated with the CAN-Bus I'd say.

DStutter
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby DStutter » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:45 am

I'm an installer myself and we have had a little play around but haven't gone into it so much. Smart key dosnt allow you to lock the car with the remote while to car is running. That was tested at the back of the ignition barrel. Any info would help.

aussie027
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby aussie027 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:22 pm

Mate,
Given the potential problems mentioned I honestly wouldn't bother.

They are basically a waste of time, if you drive it hard,fast, (ie on the boost) and then arrive at destination just let it idle for 1-2 min to let temps stabilize and oil to still flow thru the turbo bearings and you should be fine.
It is a sustained oil flow for a min or 2 that you need before shutdown, there are oil accumulators that do this job by forcing oil thru the turbo bearing after shutdown.

If you are driving normally I would pull in to park and let it idle for 30sec or so while I got my belt off, turned off switches grabbed my bag , jacket etc and then turned off and got out.

Regular servicing and oil changes are most important of course.
I had 2 Mitsu turbo cars for over 10yrs each and never had a prob with either and did what I mentioned above.

Also remember, it is illegal in every state to leave a vehicle running while unattended, which means having a timer fitted.
I FIND YOUR LACK OF FAITH DISTURBING......

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:51 pm

If a turbo timer was so important - wouldn't the car have come with one?
ClubCJ's first Sportback

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:18 pm

The smart key is going to make things hard. Even with a CAN-bus controller I doubt it could be done by simply whacking commands onto the bus as the ETACS will still be recieving data from the engine's ECU and possibly the WCM/KOS ECUs and refuse to lock the doors.I think what you'll find is you'll need another remote control module (can get 12V remote control kits from jaycar for example) to drive some electronics pulse the door solenoids to lock them and something to retain a relay connection of the wires coming from the back of the key barrel for the minute or two and then cut out and in doing so turn the motor off. You'd then need to put a lock command onto the CAN-bus I suspect to arm the alarm even though the doors would have already been locked.

But as said before, easier to just sit around for a min or two and let it idle

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:02 pm

Blitz make a plug-n-play version for the Evo X so it should PnP with the RA

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:40 pm

For those turbo timers to work they require the spare key fob to be left in the car. not very smart.

Those do work on the non-smart key Evos and RAs, which ours are not.

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:18 am

No they don't. If the fob is left in the car the doors won't lock. The Blitz won't allow the doors to be locked while the engine is running. The only way around it that I've read is guys are getting out of their Evos with the drivers window down and using the inside door lock button to lock the doors and installing a window auto up controller for when the engine turns off the windows wind up

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:33 pm

you can lock the doors with the emergency key. I have done that when I've left the car running for a min or two before returning. Works

tmr_colt
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby tmr_colt » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:30 pm

TMR in Melbourne don't use turbo timers on their 12 hour Bathurst cars, nor do they recommend using them.

You really don't need one, it's a waste of good money that could be spent somewhere else on the vehicle (in my opinion). Get an exhaust system, or induction kit or something!

Also illegal in some states (but meh).

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:58 pm

AFAIK noone on EvoOz uses them in their X's.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

arutha
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby arutha » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:10 am

no need to put a turbo timer on the Evo Jace as it already comes with a factory automatic unit. try driving it hard at a track and then turn the car off and it will continue to run until it has finished its cooling cycle. i would imagine that the RA's have something similar.

if you're just wanting to put an aftermarket TT on your car so you look cool then thats a fail in my book
Born at JustJDM's 'ninjaworks' facility,
Honed into a weapon by Mercury Motorsport

bye2u
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bye2u » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:35 pm

its not really a turbo timer.. its just the cooling fans that stay on when the temp in the engine bay is high..

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:57 pm

And the oil pumps still I am led to believe ;)

Same as the VW GTi (I think it's the GTi that does it also)

Return to “Electrical”