***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Lost key transponder

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

rustybucket
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Lost key transponder

Postby rustybucket » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:40 am

My key smashed to bits when I dropped it outside.
I thought I had found all the pieces but must have missed the tiny transponder.
Now the car won't start. I can open all the doors and the boot.
But when I put the key in to turn it over all the lights come on then I turn the key and nothing.
Anyone know if I can just buy the transponder or do I have to go to Mitsubishi for a whole new key?
2009 Lancer.
Mitsubishi want $400 for a new key. They say I can't buy the transponder separately.
Thanks

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Re: Lost key transponder

Postby himynameisdaniel » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:22 pm

Mitsubishi are correct.

the transponder chip (the model number is etched on the chip but you need a magnifying glass to read it) itself can be bought for around 20cents from china however it needs to be programmed with your vehicle ignition system.
the tools required to program these transponders vary between $400 - $2k then a workshop will need to constantly update these tools to be able to code new cars.
so around 400 is around reasonable considering they have to buy new tools every year or so. there may be other workshops that have this capability so ring around.
In most cases you will also have to provide proof of ownership prior to the work being done.
K+N drop in
RA intake
SS 4-2-1 Headers
Whiteline Strut Brace
Whiteline Rear Sway Bar
SuperPro Polyurethane Bushings
Paddle Shifters

Merlinised

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:56 pm

Guess no spare key?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

rustybucket
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby rustybucket » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:18 am

Yeah I have a spare key.
Rang around and found a place in Melbourne that can replace the transponder for a quarter of the price that Mitsubishi want.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:38 pm

How about the locksmiths you find in shopping malls? They now often do electronic keys, not sure how they are on prices.

Was told the number one thing to take on any road trip is your spare keys, even if its a day trip. You don't want to be 100's of kays from home with a broken smart key.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

NinaGood
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby NinaGood » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:49 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:How about the locksmiths you find in shopping malls? They now often do electronic keys, not sure how they are on prices.

Was told the number one thing to take on any road trip is your spare keys, even if its a day trip. You don't want to be 100's of kays from home with a broken smart key.

Agree, some locksmiths are available 24/7, at least these ones are http://replacecarkey.org/ , I used their services a couple of months ago. The problem is not serious at all if you find a professional, just don't waste time.

powermad
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby powermad » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:53 pm

Had the same problem with our CH key, dropped and broke with the transponder lost.

Locksmith was able to replace and reprogram the transponder. Took about 20 minutes, $95.

Nelson Locksmiths, Clovelly Park if interested.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:28 am

If worst case scenario and can't get a new transponder you can get a new key cut and programmmed to the car.
The locksmith will also be able to remove the old key from the car ECU.
I can't remember the amount of keys you can have programmmed into the lancer but it is a lot more then just 2

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dopey » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:09 pm

You can buy blank PCF7936 transponder chips, but they need to be formatted to Mitsubishi specs first. Some come formatted, others don't as they are used on different cars.

Once formatted you can then code them up to the car with a MUTIII or similar. They then become locked to that car and can't be coded to any other car.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:42 pm

Also be aware that places like "mister Minit" when they do replacement keys they won't have a boot release button on it. I did ask them about spare keys sometime ago and that was the answer I was given.
Mind you they are not the only ones who can help ounout, there are other locksmiths who can

Return to “Electrical”