***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Turbo timers?

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Numptee86
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Turbo timers?

Postby Numptee86 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:04 pm

Hey all,

So I finally have a 2012 Ralliart...completely stock. Are turbo timers still a thing in this era of turbo technology? Do any RA/Evo owners run them? Or are the computers on these cars too 'all encompassing' to run something like that?

Thanks guys!

Nate N
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Re: Turbo timers?

Postby Nate N » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:25 pm

Turbo timers aren't really required for an RA or Evo as the ECU has pretty good control over engine functions and can be readily tuned via an OpenECU program. A boost pill or 3-port boost solenoid are common upgrades to maintain high and consistent boost levels.

Shorty
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Shorty » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:07 pm

My RVR Hyper Sports Gear has a turbo timer.
I always let it cool down after driving it.

My Evo X doesn't have any, but I let it run for a sec before turning it off as well.

Numptee86
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Numptee86 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:13 pm

Nate N wrote:Turbo timers aren't really required for an RA or Evo as the ECU has pretty good control over engine functions and can be readily tuned via an OpenECU program. A boost pill or 3-port boost solenoid are common upgrades to maintain high and consistent boost levels.

Sorry mate you lost me a bit there. Are you saying a timer isn't necessary any more because of newer turbo designs or something? The timer isn't anything to do with boost control, it just keeps the engine running for a certain period of time once you finish driving to prevent oil coking on the turbine if it cools down to quickly.

Nate N
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Nate N » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:10 pm

Numptee86 wrote:Sorry mate you lost me a bit there. Are you saying a timer isn't necessary any more because of newer turbo designs or something? The timer isn't anything to do with boost control, it just keeps the engine running for a certain period of time once you finish driving to prevent oil coking on the turbine if it cools down to quickly.

My bad, had a bit of a moment there. I saw turbo timer but kept thinking mechanical boost controller *facepalm*

I personally don't believe you need a turbo timer with modern turbos as a couple minutes is sufficient to get enough oil circulating to cool them down. So unless you're boosting down the street before you get back home, there's really no need for them. Even after hot laps on the track, I find a cool down lap and slow cruise back into the pits sufficient to get temps low enough.

Numptee86
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Numptee86 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:47 pm

Nate N wrote:
Numptee86 wrote:Sorry mate you lost me a bit there. Are you saying a timer isn't necessary any more because of newer turbo designs or something? The timer isn't anything to do with boost control, it just keeps the engine running for a certain period of time once you finish driving to prevent oil coking on the turbine if it cools down to quickly.

My bad, had a bit of a moment there. I saw turbo timer but kept thinking mechanical boost controller *facepalm*

I personally don't believe you need a turbo timer with modern turbos as a couple minutes is sufficient to get enough oil circulating to cool them down. So unless you're boosting down the street before you get back home, there's really no need for them. Even after hot laps on the track, I find a cool down lap and slow cruise back into the pits sufficient to get temps low enough.

All good! :) I had bad habits as a P plater blasting it all the way home which justified needing one....but you make a good point, these days I don't drive like that anyway, so I will cross that one off the list of things to look into :) Cheers!

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:57 pm

Turbo timers are not required.

Just good driving. Always drive your car slowly before stopping. Never thrash the car and stop it

Return to “Electrical”