***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Hard Wire Dash Cam / USB Port

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

rahilp
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Hard Wire Dash Cam / USB Port

Postby rahilp » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:39 pm

Hey Guys so I'm picking My VR-X I bought very soon, so I want to start planing stuff and as I've been on my P's for over a month, I will likely have an accident in the future.

So I will have a dash cam for insurance purposes however I don't want to a cable from the Cigarette Lighter dangling. So I thought what if you wire it to the battery, however this would constantly have power going to the Dash Cam which would drain the battery. I'll add images of my Install when done or Tripod a camera to record all process.

Purchase List: (Wanted to keep all in Aus for quick shipping but you can buy cheaper)
Dash Cam: http://www.harveynorman.com.au/cameras- ... amera.html
Cable To Charge Cam: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-2-0-Cabl ... fGDFD0bElg
Extra Fuse Slot: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Add-A-Circui ... Swu-BWOwCs
12 V to 5 Volt USB Ports: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-12V-to-5V ... SwwbdWO1t0

So what the main idea I have in mind is to wire it to the Ignition switch.

So step by step
Step One: Unplug Battery Just to be Safe.
Step Two: Decide where you want to locate the Dash Cam / Phone (for me it's next to the Rear view mirror.)
Step Three: Start setting out the wire. So I'll be tucking the wire under the the gap between the roof and the roof carpet, then going to the A pillar.
Step Four: Open and remove the wiper motor fuse using the extra fuse slot you bought place that were the wiper motor fuse was and place the original fuse in one of the slot on it.
Step Five: Connect the red cable on the USB Ports to the extra fuse slot red cable and connect the black cable to a metal part of the car, shouldn't be hard to find.

Okay so basically this is done so plug the battery back in and test. Plug your phone in to see if it charges.

Step 6: If it works then put back all the panels and should be fine.

If you are using something else to charge then you might have to change where the wiring runs. But the main idea still applies.

EDIT: Found a Youtube tutorial so I modified the post as his method is better but same principle applies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8TqMfgmJCc

Swerve
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Swerve » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:25 pm

I have front and rear Blackvue dashcams that are hardwired in as I wanted the cigarette socket free. Your dashcam should not drain battery. Mine runs for 10 minutes when the car is off before switching recording off. It then turns recording back on if someone walks past the dashcam or it encounters a shock.

The dashcam draws very little power it wont drain your battery I've had my car off for a month while on holidays came back and still fine. All I did was take a constant +12VDC and -12VDC from behind the cigarette socket or if you want to under the steering wheel. Saves you having to run cables through the firewall and engine bay.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:46 pm

I would wire it straight to the battery wire behind the fuses through a low voltage cut-out switch you find fitted to most RV fridges. This will give it power all the time and you will not have to feed the power wire through the fire wall and you won't end up with a flat battery

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:11 pm

I just ran a longer wire from the plug in the center console arm rest, keeps the other free and its auto on when I start the car.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:32 pm

Don't you want the camera to work when parked as well? I would as I'm paranoid it will get damaged in carparks.

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:43 pm

As you are using USB to power the camera it may be possible to use the USB port in the glove box? That way no converters needed and it will only power up with ignition.

I can't say for sure if it would provide enough amperage though.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:48 pm

Mine turns on for a few seconds when it sensors something, do your really want the camera running 24/7?

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:00 pm

Running off a sensor is the best option but I also think it's important to have a low battery cut out switch to avoid being strandard

Swerve
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Swerve » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:14 am

Even if its connected to power 24/7 internally the dashcam will cut out and go into a extremely low power "parking mode". Easiest way is to tuck the cables into the roof liner starting from behind the rear view mirror and continuing to the A pillar and then just tucking it behind the A pillar down to the drivers footwell then remove the panel under the steering wheel and just connect it to the main wiring loom. Only one panel needs to be removed and if need be you can put an inline fuse in.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:12 am

Hard wiring aside I did a stealth install with all wires hidden in the linings.

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:51 am

Something i'm looking to do as well... so instead to buy power box for black vue, just hard wiring to the battery... question, if i'm using the fuse from interior lights do i still have power to the camera after the car is locked?

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:07 am

I am not sure as the interior light is actually controlled through the earth wire. I believe all accessory power is turned off after a short time.

You are best to check with a volt meter or just run your wire straight to the large wire behind the fuses which comes straight from the battery with an inline fuse

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:54 am

The Main thing some of you guys are overlooking is that all GPS & Crash/Dash Cams run off 5V DC.
If you connect direct to Battery and/or Fuse/Live Wire which is 12V DC you will definitely blow your unit. *eek* *boom*

If you want to Hardwire a GPS or DashCam then you must use a 12VDC - 5VDC Converter Regulator.
Preferably with a "Mini USB Plug" which plugs directly into your unit.

Also, pick a DC-DC Converter Regulator with a "Long Extension Lead" which will allow you to connect anywhere within the Dash/Under Dash/Floor areas.
This will be absolutely essential if your GPS/DashCam unit is mounted near the Rear View Mirror and you intend to run the wiring inside/along the Roof Lining & Down the A Pillars behind the Dash or Glove Box.

Here are some Ebay Items with 3mtr extension leads:
12V to 5V DC Converter Regulator Car Power Supply Step Down Cable Mini USB (Cable Length = 3.5mtrs) (Price $4.41 AUD)

12V to 5V DC Converter Regulator Car Power Supply Step Down Cable Mini USB (Cable Length = 3.5mtrs) (Price $8.19 AUD)

12V to 5V DC Converter Regulator Car Power Supply Step Down Cable Mini USB (Cable Length = 3.5mtrs) (Price $8.84 AUD)

3m DC/DC Converter Regulator 12V to 5V 15W 3A Step down Mini USB (Cable Length = 3mtrs) (Price $15.07) (FUSED)

You might also be interested in:
90 degree Right Angle Mini B USB Male to Female Extension Connector
This item will allow you to direct the USB plug/lead toward the Windscreen rather than straight out which may obscure your sight.
Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:16 pm

:D :D :D :D Cheers Sam

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:23 pm

I thought that was a given Sam. The gropro should come with a plug that needs to go to 12 volt with an inbuilt inverter.

Return to “Electrical”