***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Smart Key System

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Anhevius
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Smart Key System

Postby Anhevius » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:27 pm

So, I've been thinking about it off and on for my 380 and the Lancer. Upgrading to a Smart Key system that is.

I've been thinking of something like this: http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/automob ... rs/product

I like the basic idea, though I'm after something a bit...more...really. The whole separate card/key idea I can live with, though I would absolutely love one that replaces the original key system even more.

Another thought I had was if it's possible to have a 'valet' mode. I know some cars I had back in the US had this. The basic idea is that if one of the master keys isn't detected, and only the valet key is, the car won't go over a certain speed or distance. For example, if the valet takes the car and drives more than 1km, the car will disable itself at the first 'safe' opportunity (that usually means when it's put into park for an auto transmission, or the park brake is engaged for manual).

Before anyone says it, I know setting up something like that will require possibly removing the ignition transponder system, possibly the entire key security system, etc etc, OR using a bypass module.

My questions are:

*Has anyone set up a system like this on our cars?
*What did you have to do to get it to work (bypass, ECU flashing/editing)?
*Does anyone have a system they suggest?
*Are any of the features of the system I linked, or the valet mode, illegal in Aus/South Aus?

toc
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby toc » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:47 pm

Insurance comes to mind here.
If they expect to find an immobilsation system and your car is reported stolen, then they might have difficulty deciding to pay the claim (or to put it another way, be highly tempted to deny your claim on the basis that the immobilisation system was bypassed).

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:48 pm

Sounds like a big job, maybe something for a pro to tackle.

Good luck.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Anhevius
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Anhevius » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:56 pm

@Lancer1993-Honestly, it's more of a time thing. If it's as simple as wiring the system in and rolling, I will do it myself. If I have to do any intensive work, like setting up a bypass module or ECU work, I'd take it to someone else. Admittedly, installing in a car this new will be quite different from what I am used to, since I'm used to working on older cars (used to restore classics).

@toc- I know that in the US, I simply had to alert them to the fact that I was using an aftermarket system instead of the factory one. Sometimes they'd want the paperwork on it to verify that it has an immobilizer, or have me take it to them to verify in person.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:42 am

So lucky my VRX has keyless start. Yet another reason to spend a bit more and get the higher spec.

I have no doubt it can be added and a qualified car electrician should be able to do it right, Its not something I'd tackle without a lot of research.
Its the one thing I don't like about newer cars, just the amount of electrical stuff that can go wrong.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Anhevius
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Anhevius » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:21 am

Yea, they can get rather involved for even the simplest of stuff. It mainly just depends on how patient you can be though.

Honestly, if I would have had the time when I bought my Lancer, I would have gone for a Ralliart or a VRX. I just didn't have any time to hunt around, since my 380 had chattering lifters and I wasn't keen on destroying the motor. The VR was the first car I saw that I liked the price of, so it's what I got.

Return to “Electrical”