***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Car Audio Wiring

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Masochist
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Car Audio Wiring

Postby Masochist » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:59 am

Over the weekend I installed a double din stereo into my car, and found it rather difficult to source all the information required to get this done. But managed to find a website which explains the wiring colours of the loom. Having searched ClubCJ before going anywhere else, I couldn't easily locate this information, so figured I would share the Gem that I found.

Firsty, remove the negative battery terminal to prevent short circuits.

To get to your stereo innards, get into the passenger side of your car.

Open the glovebox, reach into the back, and push the sides in, this causes it to drop further, and gives you more room. Alternately you can unclip it from its hinge, and pull the piston inwards slightly and completely remove the glovebox.

From here, remove a single phillips head screw to the left of the glovebox, and gently pull from the bottom of the small panel in the footwell to remove that. From there, gently ease off the 'silver' facia panel that runs across your dash, ensuring to support it as you go along as this part is expensive, and easily breaks. There are about 5 clips going along from memory.

Once this is done. Unscrew your hazard switch/passenger seatbelt banner, and remove the little ribbon coming out the top (this gives the stock facia power/function to the stereo/CD player so dont damage if you still need), three phillips head screws hold this in this panel, and two clips into the stereo facia, and you can push a tab on one side of the harness behind this to release the harness from the hazards,

Then place your fingers to the bottom of the stereo facia, and gently lift. This will remove the entire facia unit. From here, you can unscrew 4 Phillips Head Screws (2 either side), and get to the loom.

2007 Mitsubishi Lancer Car Stereo Wiring Chart

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Red/White
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Orange
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Green/White
Car Stereo Power Antenna Trigger Wire: Pink

Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Blue
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black/Yellow
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Red
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black/Red

Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Yellow/Blue
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray/Blue
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Yellow/Red
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray/Red

Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 6 1/2″ Speakers
Car Audio Front Speakers Depth: 3″
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Front Doors

Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 6 1/2″ Speakers
Car Audio Rear Speakers Depth: 3″
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Rear Doors

Steering Audio Control: Blue/Grey (to remote wire)
Steering Audio Control: Black/Grey (to car body for Ground)

Tested the above steering control wiring, and confirmed working.

Now, I have adjusted some of this information, and added some in from the original source, and this is for the 2007 (MY08) ES CJ Lancer, so may be different to other years, and I know it definitely is different from the Rockford Head Unit/Speakers.

To Avoid the need to cut your existing harness, you can try source an AERPRO APP0113 ISO harness. After visiting every automotive store in Toowoomba Yesterday, AutoBarn said they stocked it, but were out, Repco don't stock it but can order, Supercheap Auto are the same as Repco.

The Harness in the vehicle is extremely short, and only comes out of the dash around 5cm (2 inches), so cutting the original harness makes for some tricky work with Solder or messy work by twisting wires and using electrical tape. So I would recommend trying to source the ISO harness if you can.

That is about as much help/information as I think I will be able to give. I will update this post as required, but

My question here is, since getting my Lancer, I have installed Stereo Controls on the Steering Wheel, but I was not able to locate the wiring colour combination for these. And was wondering if anyone else knew them? or could find them out?
Last edited by Masochist on Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:18 pm

Thanks for this, planning a similar upgrade and this will help.

Just wondering, does disconnecting the battery affect your trip computer?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Masochist
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Masochist » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:56 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:Thanks for this, planning a similar upgrade and this will help. Just wondering, does disconnecting the battery affect your trip computer?

It does affect the trip computer. Realised this morning after running my car for 15minutes yesterday that my monthly total was gone. Meaning no claiming fuel for work this month =P.

Masochist
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Masochist » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:22 pm

Still searching around and found a youtube video where the guy states he uses a blue and black cable from the original harness ... found this at 8pm and didnt want to pull the dash apart this late so will test it when able.

bunnishiwa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bunnishiwa » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:44 pm

You can get the harness on Ebay http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/IMC-Audio-Wire ... nav=SEARCH well worth the $. Re differences between RF and normal head units this harness will work on both for power, acc power, dimmer and earth, so good for either if your wiring your own speakers/amps
- Self tuned - work in progress - tune revision #16_03
- GS 3 port controlled wooooot :)
- Lowered on Kings
- Black Evo X FMIC/ Evo IX BOV/ Depo HFC/ UR UICP
- Awesome self installed Alpine/JL Audio sound system
- Whiteline Rear Swaybar

Noli Timere Messorem

bunnishiwa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bunnishiwa » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:49 pm

Re steering controls it is a single wire to tap into. If you the harness plugged in you will see the black/blue wire (i thought black/white but it had been a while since i had my head unit out) coming in on the car side but has no wire coming out on the harness side. I just cut this and tapped into it then did the programming stuff. Used a PAC-SWI unit that's been going strong for 5 years now
- Self tuned - work in progress - tune revision #16_03

- GS 3 port controlled wooooot :)

- Lowered on Kings

- Black Evo X FMIC/ Evo IX BOV/ Depo HFC/ UR UICP

- Awesome self installed Alpine/JL Audio sound system

- Whiteline Rear Swaybar

Noli Timere Messorem

Masochist
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Masochist » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:16 pm

Thanx for the info bunnishiwa, and after being unable to get a harness over the weekend and having to splice everything manually myself, figured i would share the info i found for ithers who may be in same situation.

Further investigation since my last post does continue to prove the blue/black pins. This is all coming down to having an extra part for the connection which i am trying to avoid. Reference for further informatio is here

So either tomorrow arvo after work or sometime before i head up the coast on thursday i will pull my dash apart again and test the wiring combinations i have found and report results

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:16 am

Masochist wrote:[quote:bd6e6e9820=Lancer1993]Thanks for this, planning a similar upgrade and this will help. Just wondering, does disconnecting the battery affect your trip computer?[/quote:bd6e6e9820] It does affect the trip computer. Realised this morning after running my car for 15minutes yesterday that my monthly total was gone. Meaning no claiming fuel for work this month =P.

Sorry to hear that, do wonder if audio installers have a way of over coming this, maybe another option is to pull the fuse for the sound system?

While I've put in a number of HUs over the years they are more complicated on the CJ. My previous upgrade in a CC was so easy. It had a Kenwood HU but was failing so got a newer model and it was a direct plug in swap, took all of 15 minutes and I have a new HU with USB and bluetooth for the phone!

Swerve
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Swerve » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:20 pm

Don't know if this is what you were looking for but the blue grey wire on PIN #22 needs to be connected to the remote wire on the headunit and the black grey wire (PIN #32) needs to be grounded to the car body. Don't ground it to the ground wire on the headunit.

Masochist
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Masochist » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:56 pm

Swerve wrote:Dont know if this is what you were looking for but the blue grey wire on PIN #22 needs to be connected to the remote wire on the headunit and the black grey wire (PIN #32) needs to be grounded to the car body. Dont ground it to the ground wire on the headunit.

that is exactly what i was looking for. Thankyou so much. Will modify top post as soon as i get home

VRXblack
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Re: Car Audio Wiring

Postby VRXblack » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:49 am

Hi Guys
Apologies for rebirthing this thread, but is the only one that i can find with any sort of information. Although this thread has already helped me with 99% of everything that i need! Much Much appreciated Masochist!!!

Just wanted to ask a quick question im planning on installing my new head unit this weekend (Kenwood DDX-7015BT) which also came with a reversing camera which i decided to run the cable over the weekend to get it out of the way. But just needed some info on finding the reversing lamp trigger. The head unit has a specific cable for it which im assuming will automatically get the headunit to flip to the reversing camera once its triggered. But have pretty much searched the entire web but cant find anything. Anyone able to help me out?

Cheers
Chris
Black 2010 VRX Lancer

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Skrallex » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:37 am

If no one lets you know before I pull apart my dash next time, I'll trace the reverse trigger for my HU to see which wire it is :P might be a while though.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:12 pm

From memory at the boot end there is a wire that goes to the reverse lights, at the other end it plugs into the HU wiring so when the reverse lights come on it powers and triggers the camera. That's all I know.

I'll looking at a front camera which is a little trickier as you either have a switch for power or have the camera running all the time, which I don't like. Rather have a switch to turn off the power and have it on the dash some place, maybe near the gear change with those switches.

yatza
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby yatza » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:20 pm

the trigger wire for the head unit is just running another wire from the reverse light wiring back to the camera. i should have done it with mine when i installed because if i leave the camera setting ON it continuously flashes to a black screen every few seconds. (pioneer avh275bt)

if there is a trigger wire in the dash i dont know about id love to know cause i dont want to pull the panneling a third time haha.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:59 pm

With mine the trigger wire was included with the video RCA 'molded' together. I pre run them before taking it to an expert to connect it all up, sorry I can't help much.

Return to “Electrical”