***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Main Battery flat. Parasitic load?

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

BeHaV3
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Main Battery flat. Parasitic load?

Postby BeHaV3 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:15 pm

I have had the NRMA out 3 times to jump start the car. Battery load tests fine, less than 2 years old, charges fine, second battery since new. Battery will hold sufficient charge for 24 hours, so if I go away, the car won't restart.
There is a one amp draw with everything off. Standard car, no lights left on, even checked the boot light.

There is only one other " flat batt" topic with no conclusion.

Anybody had a similar problem? Internet search suggests relay not deenergising or diode failure in alternator.

Thanks in advance.
CJ RA. Stock!

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:35 pm

Do not let the alternator charge your flat battery.

trickle charge it over night and see how that goes.
It takes a very long time for the alternator to restore charge into your battery and can be quite difficult with all the electronics in the vehicle which sap all the juice.

If you still have reason to believe a drain issue i would suggest using a multi meter to go through every fuse on your fuse box (engine and ETACS) to find the culprit.

with a fuse number you should be able to narrow down the circuit.

BeHaV3
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BeHaV3 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback. At this stage i am hooking up a 2700mA charger over night to keep it all topped up. You can poke small allegator clips under the battery cover without pulling off cold air intake and battery cover on the ralliart.

Had the car serviced at the dealer today. Got a call to say all tyres needed replacing and the battery was stuffed at 12.8 volts. Told the guy the NRMA refused to sell me a battery saying it was fine and the load when off needed to be dealt with. The dealer spend "three hours" and coukd not find the source of the load. I did not think there were that many fused circuits! Any way i was told i needed 4 new tyres too. I asked them to check again as i have only got 2000km on a new set...... Silence.....
Dealers are desparate, no money in new cars, not enough in fixed price servicing. Only way to make a buck us "up sell" stuff you dont need. Quite disappointed no result on the problem, just grief on stuff which did not need to be done.
CJ RA. Stock!

BeHaV3
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BeHaV3 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:02 pm

I can either be my own auto electrician for kess than 100 dollars with a thong test amp meter or find a honest auto electrician on the north side of Sydney.

Any body recommend an auto electrician?
CJ RA. Stock!

BeHaV3
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BeHaV3 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:27 pm

Ok. It is the sound system. Outside warranty for that.

For now the fuse is out, and weighing up options of:
- remove and repair
- remove and replace like for like.
- upgrade....

No clock is more frustrating than no sound!

Off to the Audio threads.....
CJ RA. Stock!

Return to “Electrical”