***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Reversing lights useless.

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:24 am

93 Rear reflectors
(1) A motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels, and a trailer, must
have a rear-facing red reflector towards each side of its rear.
(2) A motorbike, a sidecar attached to a motorbike, and a
motortrike, must have a rear-facing red reflector.
(3) The centre of each reflector must be—
(a) at the same height above ground level; and
(b) not over 1.5m above ground level.
(4) However, subsection (3) does not apply to a reflector fitted to
a sidecar attached to a motorbike.
(5) A reflector fitted to a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels, or
a trailer, must not be over 400mm from the nearer side of the
vehicle.
(6) A vehicle fitted with rear-facing red reflectors in accordance
with subsection (1) or (2) may be fitted with additional red
reflectors at any height above ground level or at any distance
from the side of the vehicle.

Thats from QLD Transport website.

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

Dungogvolts
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dungogvolts » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:13 pm

No they are way up high behind the bar that the bumper bolts onto. I was only able to get my small hand in there to feel for the screw hole to make sure they would fit. But I only have the SX so don't know about other models.

Dungogvolts
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dungogvolts » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:20 pm

Speedie wrote:93 Rear reflectors (1) A motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels, and a trailer, must have a rear-facing red reflector towards each side of its rear. (2) A motorbike, a sidecar attached to a motorbike, and a motortrike, must have a rear-facing red reflector. (3) The centre of each reflector must be— (a) at the same height above ground level; and (b) not over 1.5m above ground level. (4) However, subsection (3) does not apply to a reflector fitted to a sidecar attached to a motorbike. (5) A reflector fitted to a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels, or a trailer, must not be over 400mm from the nearer side of the vehicle. (6) A vehicle fitted with rear-facing red reflectors in accordance with subsection (1) or (2) may be fitted with additional red reflectors at any height above ground level or at any distance from the side of the vehicle. Thats from QLD Transport website.

Yeah I am aware there might be a problem so I have been checking out other cars on the road and not every car has a reflector in the bumper like the not so old BMW I saw this morning and there are plenty of tabletops and a small Holden barina and Mazda 2. If I do get pulled over I will use that and the fact there are reflectors around the parkers in the light cluster. So will have to wait and see.

Dungogvolts
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dungogvolts » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:41 pm

Ok just found this from the Roads and Maritime and it contradicts its self.
1)Division 14 Reflectors generally 117
General requirements for reflectors
(1) A reflector fitted to a vehicle must show a red, yellow or white reflection of light when light is projected directly onto the reflector at night by a low-beam headlight that:
(a) is 45 metres from the reflector, and
(b) complies with this Schedule.
(2) The reflection must be clearly visible from the position of the headlight.
(3) A reflector may be in the form of reflecting sheeting or tape or other efficient reflecting material.

Division 15 Rear reflectors 118
Rear reflectors
(1) A motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels, and a trailer, must have a rear-facing red reflector towards each side of its rear.
(2) A motor bike, a sidecar attached to a motor bike, and a motor trike, must have a rear-facing red reflector.
(3) The centre of each reflector must be:
(a) at the same height above ground level, and
(b) not over 1.5 metres above ground level.
(4) However, subclause (3) does not apply to a reflector fitted to a sidecar attached to a motor bike.
(5) A reflector fitted to a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels, or a trailer, must not be over 400 millimetres from the nearer side of the vehicle.
(6) A vehicle fitted with rear-facing red reflectors in accordance with subclause (1) or (2) may be fitted with additional red
reflectors at any height above ground level or at any distance from the side of the vehicle.

Now in the first clause,General requirements for reflectors, it states
a red, yellow or white reflection of light when light is projected directly onto the reflector at night by a low-beam headlight that:
So as the lights are clear/white I could argue that as a defence I guess.

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:39 pm

White is forward facing, yellow is side facing, red is rear facing
(1) A motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels, and a trailer, must have a rear-facing red reflector towards each side of its rear. destroys your arguement

Dungogvolts
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dungogvolts » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:17 pm

Speedie wrote:White is forward facing, yellow is side facing, red is rear facing (1) A motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels, and a trailer, [b:e33a37f033]must have a rear-facing red reflector[/b:e33a37f033] towards each side of its rear. destroys your arguement

WOW did not see that in my post but OK thanks for being aggressive I am not arguing. Just like driving around at night with my fog/driving lights on I will still run the gambit and keep my fingers crossed I do not get pulled over.

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:23 pm

The main issuse is if your vechile is parked in a dark spot at night and someone runs into it then insurance wont pay you out but bill you for damages done to the other vechile as yours shouldn't be on the road due to the fact that you made it non-compliant

Shaun Patterson
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Shaun Patterson » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:44 pm

i removed my reflectors and added light havent ever even been looked at

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:05 pm

For dark cars like mine these are also an options if you don't want/need extra white reversing lights.

For the police I guess the rule is if it looks stock then they probably won't bust you on them, so many cars they have better things on there mind that rear reflectors.

The above ones are basically black when not lite, not sure of the reflective qualities when not on at night. Also most tail lights have some reflectiveness built in.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Return to “Electrical”