***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

CJ VR MY08 - OEM Front Fog Lamp Issue

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Night-Fire
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

CJ VR MY08 - OEM Front Fog Lamp Issue

Postby Night-Fire » Mon May 04, 2015 6:27 pm

Hey all,
I recently purchased an MY08 Lancer VR, absolutely love it!
However I am noticing an issue:
I have front fog lamps that are genuine and the light column has the fog lamp switch on it, however when I turn it on the relay isn't making any click noise (The dash light does come on for the fog lamp).

I have tested the harness from the fuse box to the lamps directly (bypassing the relay and going off the fuse to the female connector) and the lights work.

I have noticed also that two of the legs on the relay socket read 0v while one other reads 13.2v and the other reads from 7.2v to 12v.

I have attached a copy of the relay pins that have a reading and that dont.

Bellow is the socket I am testing based on what I can find online:

Thanks in advance all!

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Mon May 04, 2015 9:35 pm

if they are OEM foglams they are actually controlled through the ETACS ECU. the main fuse box just houses the relay and fuse which is only half of the setup.

have they ever worked on the vehicle before?
if not you will most likely need to get mitsubishi to enable foglamps in ETACS with the MUT III tool.

however since you are getting the light on the dash it most likely points to a fault in the connectors\harness\ETACS ECU\or any other input circuits being defective.

you have made a good attempt at troubleshooting so I will now direct you to the Lancer Workshop manual (MY2008 only but the same principals will apply)

http://www.clubcj.net/workshop/SEARCH/2008/index_M1.htm

you want to load the Service Manual-> 54A Chassis Electrical -> Fog Lamp ->Relay check

but there are also symptom procedures you can go through. which are fairly comprehensive.

Night-Fire
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Night-Fire » Wed May 06, 2015 9:10 am

Thanks for the reply himynameisdaniel.
I was wondering if you know if it will have to be a MUT III scan tool from an actual Mitsubishi repair centre or if I can get away with using an ELM327 device with software for OBD2 (or even if something like EVOScan would work).

It looks like I have to book two weeks ahead to see anyone if I want them to check (lol what a wait).

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Wed May 06, 2015 12:02 pm

ELM327 only read of the main ECU and can get basic codes for some of the sub ECU's, and depending on the software they may be able to successfully write.

unless someone else can give you exactly what address range to overwrite too you would really run the risk of bricking your ECU ('s)
As far as I'm aware the software for the MUT tool only works with Mitsubishi's proprietary chipset.

There is a chance that Lexia 3 tool will work (from Peugeot) as they had the 4b12 in the 4007 but yeah MUT III is where its at.

Message around in your state, I know a few people on here have the MUT III tool and software. they may be able to help out.

be wary about getting Chinese copies from alibabba\ebay most of them do not have coding(write) ability.

Night-Fire
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Night-Fire » Wed May 06, 2015 7:57 pm

himynameisdaniel wrote:ELM327 only read of the main ECU and can get basic codes for some of the sub ECUs, and depending on the software they may be able to successfully write...

Haha, this really sucks.
I thought Australia introduced a law forcing all cars after 06 to be OBD 2 Full compatible (however it must of only been for certain standards).

Thanks for the advice, I will ask around. :)

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Wed May 06, 2015 8:22 pm

it is OBD 2 compliant.
and it is CAN-BUS.

however most of the shelf OBD tools do not have the software to establish communication with all the ECU's in your vehicle.
for example transmission codes or SRS airbag.

you generally get what you pay for in terms of diagnostic tools.

Return to “Electrical”