***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

CJ ES "Backup" key doesn't start engine?

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

cyssero
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

CJ ES "Backup" key doesn't start engine?

Postby cyssero » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:58 pm

Hi guys,

Quick question about the 'smart' keys. Dealer gave me two, both remotely open the doors/boot absolutely fine, but only one actually starts the car. The one which doesn't start the car slots into the barrel fine but simply will not turn to ignition/accessory.

I'm not sure if it should start the car (no idea why they'd give me one if it wouldn't though) but before I ask the dealer I thought I'd ask here. I have no other devices attached to that key so there should be nothing interfering with the signal.

Appreciate any responses!

Cheers
Last edited by cyssero on Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:03 pm

you must place the metal key into the barrel and then position keyfob over the exposed part of the key. it needs this done so that it can get the transpoder code from the keyfob....

cyssero
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby cyssero » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:10 pm

My mistake, I've caused some confusion. I only have an ES Lancer, so I don't have a "Smart Key", just the standard remote central locking keys. My Falcon refers to the keyless entry system as "Smart Lock", getting confused with that and the Mitsubishi term.

Anyway, thanks, but that won't apply to me by the sounds of it.

Just one of the two remote central locking keys I got will not start the car. Wondering if there's anything special I have to do.

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:14 pm

Nope it won't! By smart key I thought you mean't the VRX key-less igntion... :lol:

mitch.honey
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby mitch.honey » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:29 pm

i have a es and u dont have to do anything special... so i am guessing there is somthing wrong both my keys work fine:)
Red Tail-light Brigade Member #2

cyssero
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby cyssero » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Cheers for the replies.

So if both your keys can start your car then there's clearly something wrong with mine. I checked the manual and it didn't mention anything about 'activating' it with the ES so when I get my 1500km checkup done I'll have it looked into (along with the brake recall issue). Thanks!

Return to “Electrical”