***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Thoughts on this GPS tracker

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Damir
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Thoughts on this GPS tracker

Postby Damir » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:23 pm

Hey guys, with me pouring all the mods into my car id like to know where it is at all times so i was considering a general basic gps tracker
tried to look at ebay australia but they all came up with the same stuff as china
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180783106557 ... 1423.l2649
was wondering what your thoughts were, i have an existing 12v circuit i can hook it up with a fuse easily so install isnt a problem
just wanted to know what others thought about this
My Build Thread : http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=14731
ROTM Winner OCTOBER 2015 (Nominated for favourite CJ)
-Australia's first airbagged CJ-

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:41 pm

Get a proper tracker that has a service that alerts u on yer mobile 24/7 if your car starts without the key etc...u pay a few bucks a month for it..they can track and immobilese live with the police...but they will charge a "fair" amount $50-$200....if your smart with this u would wire your power to the fuel pump (same wire) so if they do snip the wire they loose the fuel pump and cant go anywhere

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:31 am

Damir the only thing you need to be aware of is, how long do you want this unit for?
I've had a look at some, most operate on the "old" mobile networks called the 2G or GSM networks. I'd dare say 2G will be shut down in the next few years for those networks on 900Mhz and 1800Mhz frequencies, as carriers are refarming those bands for 3G and 4G networks for now. So if you don't mind replacing it the unit in a few years then not an issue, if it is, look for a unit that does 3G bands (don't bother looking for 4G units, they wont exist as 4G is fairly new).

From reading in the past, the way to interrogate some of these chinese units is pretty primitive, you send it an SMS in a certain format and replies back with GPS co-ordinates you need to punch into google maps. No sexy tracker interface you can bring up in a browser, like those "track my phone" apps. As that requires a dedicated web host so the GPS device can actively update it's location and that data is stored by some company.

Toybox
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Toybox » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:21 pm

Stay away from Chinese/ebay stuff when it comes to car security. Spend the extra mile to get a proper GPS tracking unit and the product warranty for a piece of mind

Return to “Electrical”