***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Problem with (not my) car

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Problem with (not my) car

Postby Josh_Emerton » Sun May 05, 2013 6:18 pm

So... Me and a mate decided today to install an iPod twin charge dock in his 09 Lancer Sportback.
The idea being to run it behind spliced into the existing AUX port with an iPod docr (which is actually an iPhone 4 being used permanently as an iPod) for music.
In addition, installing a twin-port cig lighter socket to run dual iCharger's - one to charge the iPod on permanent state and the other to provide a charging station for his iPhone 5 (how many iThings has he got???) under and through into the "space" in front of the cup holders. We did not, however, get around to installing either charger.

So

We'd removed almost the entire interior dash (or that's what it felt like) to the amusement of his wife, and had spliced an AUX cable into the existing AUX port - essentially an extension to the AUX port allowed us to run the port forward into the old ashtray space, where the iPhone 4 "iPod" was going to sit in it's custom built dock.

So, installed, reinstalled most of dash, and went to turn on the accessorys with the key. Uh Oh. Car wouldn't start, sudden loud ticking. Not good.
Traced the ticking back to the MFI Relay in the fuse box (big grey box thing). Can actually feel the damn ticking through the relay.

So... We can't figure out why this would happen. For any reason. All we've done is splice an extension to the AUX cord. Any ideas anybody?

Tweak
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Tweak » Sun May 05, 2013 6:38 pm

flat battery?

craigeth
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby craigeth » Sun May 05, 2013 9:53 pm

Hoges, what does that mean?

And tweak it kept ticking even after we took the keys out...
Twenty Three Frames - Photography and Video Production
www.twentythreeframes.com

kalt
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby kalt » Mon May 06, 2013 12:22 am

Did you splice install the dual cig lighter port too? Remove that and see if it still triggers the relay. Splicing audio in shouldn't cause a short unless its the apple proprietary connector and MMC system. Others will have more knowledge of that thing.
Signature For Lease - Apply Within

craigeth
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby craigeth » Mon May 06, 2013 12:53 am

we havent touched anything to do with the power yet. thats whats so weird for me.

the "dual charger" is just a standard one from Woolworths.and thats going into the original 9v socket. but that wasn't even plugged in when we started getting this problem.

----------------------------------

To be more specific, we spliced (and soldered) the red aux wire into the original red (pink) wire directly behind the original ports. We then spliced and soldered the white into the original white (blue) wire.

We then spliced the copper wires into the original black wire.
We didn't start getting a problem until after we soldered the copper to the black wire.

We had spliced into the black and wrapped the copper around, but not soldered yet. Then we turned the car on and the radio worked but we couldn't switch it to AUX because the facia had been taken off. So we turned the car off and went to finish up. The next time we tested it when everything was back together, we started getting this ticking noise...

Help..?

kalt
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby kalt » Mon May 06, 2013 1:12 am

craigeth wrote:we havent touched anything to do with the power yet. thats whats so weird for me. the dual charger is just a standard one from Woolworths.and thats going into the original 9v socket. but that wasnt even plugged in when we started getting this problem. ---------------------------------- To be more specific, we spliced (and soldered) the red aux wire into the original red (pink) wire directly behind the original ports. We then spliced and soldered the white into the original white (blue) wire. We then spliced the copper wires into the original black wire. We didnt start getting a problem until after we [b:3ad64f3026]soldered[/b:3ad64f3026] the copper to the black wire. We had spliced into the black and wrapped the copper around, but not soldered yet. Thmmmhen we turned the car on and the radio worked but we couldnt switch it to AUX because the facia had been taken off. So we turned the car off and went to finish up. The next time we tested it when everything was back together, we started getting this ticking noise... Help..?

12V socket :)

Thanks for clarifying the dual cig lighter port, should dismiss that straight away seeing it has not been connected yet. Im sorry I have to bail from here before I tear out too much of my hair trying to figure out what the copper wires and coloured wires you're referring to, pics or diagram would help nicely.

A fair few audiophiles on here should be able to offer the right advice :)
Signature For Lease - Apply Within

craigeth
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby craigeth » Mon May 06, 2013 5:59 am

Does Fitter still frequent these forums? haha.

I'm referring to the RCA cables, but anyway. Cheers :)

Return to “Electrical”