***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Replacing current key shell with new flip key shell?

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Evo_Girl
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Replacing current key shell with new flip key shell?

Postby Evo_Girl » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:32 pm

Hi guys, I want to replace my current key with the flip key one. It looks easy enough but when reading how to replace it some of the things kinda made me think twice.

So this is what it says:
1.    Get the key cut by local lock smith or key cutting shop.
2.    Transfer the transponder chip or immobilizer from the old key to the new key
If the key contain transponder chip, ask the local lock smith to program the transponder chip into the car.
3.    Please make sure the chip is well installed before you can start the engine. Please do not start the engine with empty key blade before you installed and programmed the transponder chip to your car by the local lock smith.

So number 1 is obvious and not a problem but 2 and 3 is what worries me. Should this be easy enough for a lock Smith to do? Has anyone ever done this and did it work?

And honestly should I risk it?

This is the flip key:

Neo
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Neo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:29 pm

Ive had mine for about a month now.
Its pretty much take everything out of old key and put it in the new one. Only problems i had was when i took the new key apart the spring jumped out and it took me ages to figure out how it goes back together hahah >_<. And when i got it cut the key didnt work right away.. i just used a bit of sand paper over the key and it worked :D.

chunky9
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby chunky9 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Heres a how to: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=11452 ... t=flip+key

Dont worry about programming anything, Just swap everything over :)

Evo_Girl
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Evo_Girl » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi Kevin, Did you have any problem starting the car at all? With the new cut key? Or any problems at all?

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Metalstrix » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Evo_Girl wrote:Hi Kevin, Did you have any problem starting the car at all? With the new cut key? Or any problems at all?

Hey evo girl. I got this key as well. What problems are you having?

I got unlucky because my locksmith was crap. But the second one I went to did it really well and I learnt that you need to have the sensor chip near the ignition to turn it lol
They will learn... I will always be a step ahead

No longer an active member.

chunky9
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby chunky9 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:24 pm

Evo_Girl wrote:Hi Kevin, Did you have any problem starting the car at all? With the new cut key? Or any problems at all?

Nope no problems at all, everything to this day working 100%. If you do everything exactly as i did and just get it cut at a reputable place there shouldnt be any problems.

Tac89
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Tac89 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Ive had my key for months haven't gotten around to getting it cut yet. Its pretty easy to pull apart and put back together though. Question for the people that have done it. How does it feel when you turn it in the ignition?

chunky9
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby chunky9 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:03 pm

Doesnt feel as solid as the factory key. You cant be as rough with it. The factory key you could just crank that thing as hard as you want haha. Just hold/pinch the key at the base of the blade/ where the flip button is when you turn it. Its not necessary, but i have heard stories of a honda one exploding everywhere because the dude turned the key holding the bottom of it and the plastic shell just broke apart lol. I havent had any problems though, but im still careful/ gentle with it!

Tac89
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Tac89 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Yea thats what I was thinking. It doesn't feel the strongest. Im gonna give it a go anyway still. May aswell haha. Cheers!

Lancer09
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Lancer09 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:50 pm

Some flip keys you can buy with the same key shape so you don't need to get the key cut.

But does anybody know how much it costs for a car key to get cut? I can't find a flip key for the ES.

lantourismo
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby lantourismo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:00 pm

Silly question do the newer non KOS lancers have a flip key or are still the same regular key?

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:49 pm

I was looking at his one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370731276178 ... 1423.l2649

The Seller will cut the key to your code for another $8...

That way, if there's a problem with the key, or the cut, he'll cover it!
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

lantourismo
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby lantourismo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:24 pm

I think those where pretty flimsy?

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:17 am

Oh, ok - I just stopped at that one 'cos of the steel bit at the end, figured they might be ok.... I'll have to re-read this thread...

*facepalm*
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

Return to “Electrical”