***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Reverse parking sensor wiring

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:37 pm

IMO you're better off with a camera, cost about the same if you have a suitable HU, far easier to install and way more useful. JMHO
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Swerve
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Swerve » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:20 am

Reversing Camera

Pros:

- The camera tells you exactly how far you still have to go. For example you can see that your not close to the curb or white line compared to a reversing sensors which will just beep you could be 30cm or 3cm away. So camera is better for tight parks.
- Good for seeing non-stationary/low things such as cats, dogs, skateboards or small children when reversing.
- Easier to install and depending on car/mount location no drilling into panels.
- If it's an aftermarket reversing camera kit depending on mount location you can remove it and put it on your new car if selling your old one.

Cons:

- The wide angles lens on the camera can distort the image.
- Sometimes it's hard to see the visual due to poor screen brightness on the headunit.
- You need to look forward at a screen while reversing.
- Can have blindspots.
- Unless OEM or a proper install they stand out and can be a target for vandals.
- Unless you already have a suitable one you'll need an audio/video headunit or a screen that goes over your rear view mirror.

------

Reversing Sensors

Pros:

- When paint matched and installed correctly they blend in and look OEM.
- You can still look behind while parking and listen for the beeps.
- Dont need a upgraded headunit.
- Less blind spots then a camera.
- You can get kits that have sensors for the front and back bumper.

Cons:

- Bumper will need to be drilled into and you cannot remove the sensors when selling.
- You'll need to get it paint matched if you want it to look good.
- If you're not good with tools you'll need a professional to install it due to drilling into panels as well as more difficult to wire up.
- No visual aid.
- Can give false alarms. Some brands that are cheap get set off by rain.

----

Obviously these are meant to aid the driver you should still be doing mirror and head checks.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:44 am

I have a reverse camera and I much prefer the parking sensors. They beep differently depending how far away you are. The camera are not good for measuring distance as they give such a wide angle. You look to be so far away from everything until you are actually on it.
For safety and functionality reverse parking sensors are far more practical. You also have to look at the screen with the camera where parking sensors don't rely on you looking at them.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:38 am

I know it all depends on how much you spend in how good any system is be it camera or sensors and yes the big expense for the camera is a suitable HU but on there there are several out now with a screen built into a revers mirror which clips over the stock one.

And yes they are an aid, for the love of god still use your mirrors! Had one guy back into me and blamed a dirty camera on his Prado, luckily I was in a Pathfinder with bull bar at the time and it was a slight nudge which didn't cause any damage.

I guess just like anything the more you use it the better you get at judging the beeps or the distorted camera image.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:18 am

Yes I know what I said above...

But How easy is it to add revers sensors to the CJ?

I have the MY09 VRX, there are extra wires where the switch goes (behind the gear change) and a plug under the rear bumper. Is it a matter of finding the bumper sensors and other parts at the wreckers or new and plug in and it works or is there more to it? I mean would my CJ have the basic factory wiring ready to add the stuff needed. I know there is also a speaker and controller some where in the car.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:44 am

There is no plug for it. You actually have to unplug a connection and then plug the sensor control boxlx not the sensors in between the one you pulled apart.
The sensors and speaker then plug in to the control box.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:44 am

There is no plug for it. You actually have to unplug a connection and then plug the sensor control boxlx not the sensors in between the one you pulled apart.
The sensors and speaker then plug in to the control box.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:01 am

So it can be done, and what should it cost for a factory system with switch to turn it on/off?

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:13 am

Not sure of the cost, probably best to ring up Mitsubishi. My guess is around $300-400.
The switch on mine is on the speaker only which is mounted in the boot. To fit a switch to OEM presuming it is the same as mine I purchased 5 years ago you would have to cut into the wiring loom and run the wire to a switch on the dash. Not a quick fix as a lot of the interior pulled to run the wiring
Alternatively purchase an aftermarket unit. I received one last week for my wife's car with a mute switch. The sensors are getting painted. I am hoping to install this week.

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:17 am

OEM unit is around $375 plus fitting.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:27 am

Thought I'd call my dealer, and it's $597 fitted. It's about 2 hours labor.

So at $375 you do save a bit, even more if you can get the parts out of a wreck which hasn't be rear ended.

A parts list would be nice to call the wreckers.

I'll check with a auto electrician I know as for after market but I'd prefer the proper switch.

qbmahc
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby qbmahc » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:42 am

SAM-24A wrote:As Jay aka Swerve mentioned .... Smart Park are the best money can buy here in Australia. They have Solid State circuitry & every component in their kits are premium parts. Ive personally installed 7 kits for family and never had a problem. Here is a link to post I did back in April 2010 (5yrs ago) [b:f0bf5a6ded]REVERSE PARKING SENSORS[/b:f0bf5a6ded] The model in the post is a PDC-120PI, but it has since been refined and upgraded to the current model PDC-125PI You can ring ZORG Industries in Sydney, who are the Manufacturer on (02) 9439 9439 and buy direct of them. The last kit I purchased 3mths ago was approx $160 + $10 P&H in Sydney.

Sam, great work on your thread from a few years back. I'm interested in trying to install sensors. What comes in the kit from zorg? Is there a drill template and a hole saw or just the components?

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:38 am

For the money I'd still prefer a camera but I do see the advantages of the sensors and they can be cheaper.

Yes do the its come with a guide on how to cut the holes?

OldEmmGee
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby OldEmmGee » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:34 am

Yes, most kits come with a guide on approximate location for the sensor mounting.
When you do the installation, mark on the bumper where you would like the sensors to be, then remove the bumper and check for clearance behind.
I am the developer of the Genuine Accessory kit and I know how difficult this step can be!
I suggest making 4 stands that line up with theh sensor locations on the bumper, then when you remove the bumper relocate the stands and see if there is anything in the way. The reinforced cross beam is one biggie, but there are a few brackets and wires to avoid also.
Good luck,
OldMG

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:13 pm

Right now the only way I'd do this is if I can get my hands on the parts at a wreckers or if a member is ditching them for a new bumper or something.

Return to “Electrical”