***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

"Service required: ASC off"

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu May 07, 2009 10:06 pm

I know from my previous experience that it is the LEDs.

What it is is the ETACS ECU has a blown bulb detection circuit, and replacing all the tails, brake lights with LEDs causes it to have a spack, as when the LEDs are on, there is virtually no resistance, where as a filament globe has a faily high resistance. The error code of the brake pedal is part of it, the dealer just didn't realise.

To prove it, drive with tail lights off. Cruise works, no error msgs. Turn lights on, cruise instantly stops and the warning comes up after a min.

The only way around it is to buy load resistors for each of the LED globes you replace them with.

Been there done that. haha

ads18x
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby ads18x » Thu May 07, 2009 10:30 pm

Thank you sir vrx, you may have saved me going down to the dealer again looking like a fool cos i just went for a drive to the shops and i got the warning again....

now that i think about it everytime i go the warning was at night.

do u still have led tail/brake lights? do u have these load resistors?

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu May 07, 2009 10:47 pm

Nah, I ditched the LEDs because I haven't bought the load resistors. Cheapest I've found them are at www.brightlightautoparts.com

Unfortunately there is no other solution. Even though the Outlander has LED tails and brakes. The ETACS ECU in the outie must be programmed accordingly.

Mizta B
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mizta B » Sat May 09, 2009 9:43 am

At least it turned out to be a straight forward solution
Guess it's up to you if keeping the LEDs is worth the hassle....
Australasian Gerbil Rearers Organisation, Official Re-Seller.
MY09 Rally Red VRX ClubCJ's 1st 4B12 2.4L - CCJ Lifetime Member #0004.
Merlinised....

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sat May 09, 2009 10:46 am

oh I forgot to point out, the ETACS ECU only senses the rear tail and Brake lights. So changing the front parkers, dome lights to LEDs is ok. I have done so and no problems. Of course changing indicators to LEDs will make the indicicators flash fast still unless you install load resistors with them. Buying one of those flasher relays suited for LEDs won't work because the ETACS ECU does all the flashing and switching of all the lights, no seperate flashers anywhere.

Return to “Electrical”