***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

DRL switchback help

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

DRL switchback help

Postby Tywhiteguy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:46 am

Hi all, I planned on getting the Audi style headlights but haven’t figured out how to convince my lady that I NEED them lol! Until then I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to wire in a drl switchback on the ES model. I tried this on my last car but couldn’t quite figure it out. Also, if that is out of the question how do I set up oem drls? because my base model does not come with them
Thank you in advance
2012 ES Sportback USDM Long Beach, CA. RA Snorkel, K&N Drop-In,Custom 2.25 catback with Flowmaster resonator+jdm 4” muffler, Gutted from rear seats back, Pioneer AVH-211EX+12” compact sub :welcome:

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Re: DRL switchback help

Postby bumblebee » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:33 pm

From memory the indicator stalk had to be swapped out and the ETACS box modified

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:34 pm

Easier way is to use the Parker lights as a trigger thru a relay to power up the DRL

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:28 am

Yah that’s how I have it now was wondering if there was a simple, clean fix. What about modifying the turn signals into switchbacks?
2012 ES Sportback USDM Long Beach, CA. RA Snorkel, K&N Drop-In,Custom 2.25 catback with Flowmaster resonator+jdm 4” muffler, Gutted from rear seats back, Pioneer AVH-211EX+12” compact sub :welcome:

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:41 am

I haven't removed the entire stalk assembly before so I'm not much use to you on how it's done . sorry

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:39 am

So I recently found a video on YouTube of someone who seems to have figured it out but it’s in russian and he doesn’t explain it very well. From what I understand it’s a regular oem connection with an added 12v constant from an acc fuse connected to the white part of the switchback led. https://youtu.be/vwHiD2jCAgY
Here’s the video, if anyone can give me an answer or even a hypothesis that would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

brandito
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby brandito » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:18 pm

Tywhiteguy wrote:So I recently found a video on YouTube of someone who seems to have figured it out but it’s in russian and he doesn’t explain it very well. From what I understand it’s a regular oem connection with an added 12v constant from an acc fuse connected to the white part of the switchback led. https://youtu.be/vwHiD2jCAgY
Here’s the video, if anyone can give me an answer or even a hypothesis that would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Yo, I recently did something similar with my car so I can tell you what colour wires are which if you need?
video of the indicator can be found here

I took out the parking light and the stock indicator light and now its all running off the DRL and indicator

I'm getting some hyperflashing on the LED strip but I have bought a relay to hopefully fix this.

FYI its a $16 strip off amazon, one thing I love about this is the fact it wraps around the headlight to the very corners which provides a nice indicator of how far away I am from other cars, especially when parking in a dark car park.

also be careful taking out the radiator fluid reservoir because I sliced my pinkie nail in half doing that and it still hasn't healed

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:11 am

Ok so you added on of those universal strips? Yah I had that set up but I was trying to go for the oem drl setup but with a white for the drl and yellow for the turn signal in one bulb. Yours does look better than mine do tho

brandito
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby brandito » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:23 pm

Tywhiteguy wrote:Ok so you added on of those universal strips? Yah I had that set up but I was trying to go for the oem drl setup but with a white for the drl and yellow for the turn signal in one bulb. Yours does look better than mine do tho

From what I've seen the bulb has 3 connections, ground, ACC and turn signal positive. I only set mine to the parking lights so I could toggle the lights on/off.

I'd have to probe around to find the ACC to find the right one, I'll post back here when I do.

I'm assuming these are the ones you're talking about?
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/292507867814

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:29 am

Yah something like that, the ones that I found didn’t come with a resistor but same concept. White and yellow LED chips alternating. Great thanks man

Return to “Electrical”