***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Manual to automatic climate control

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Re: Manual to automatic climate control

Postby dopey » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:57 am

Quismiff wrote:Will have to look at that cabin temp sensor hole in my dash, I looked all through my EPC and there is nothing about a sensor going in that region :? if someone has pulled it out and has a part number or a photo of it, please send it to me so i can have a wifes look :lol:

its definately 86353 in the pics above, the diagrams make it look like they go into the climate panel but it does go behind the dash spear to the left of the steering wheel.

86306 is the hose that goes into the heater box.

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:10 pm

dopey wrote:its definately 86353 in the pics above, the diagrams make it look like they go into the climate panel but it does go behind the dash spear to the left of the steering wheel.

86306 is the hose that goes into the heater box.

Must be to create a vacuum so air flows over the sensor to give the computer a reading.
So the newer cars must have more of a control in the ECAS so the photo sensor is null and void.

Reading this thread it seems some people believe the photo sensor controls the auto headlights, no one has posted since to say it is, but seems plausible. although I have seen ECAS menus stating different levels for the lights to come on, low-mid-high sort of thing. Might have to try and report back :lol:
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dopey » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:05 pm

Quismiff wrote:Must be to create a vacuum so air flows over the sensor to give the computer a reading.
So the newer cars must have more of a control in the ECAS so the photo sensor is null and void.

Reading this thread it seems some people believe the photo sensor controls the auto headlights, no one has posted since to say it is, but seems plausible. although I have seen ECAS menus stating different levels for the lights to come on, low-mid-high sort of thing. Might have to try and report back :lol:

awesome link! seems to confirm that the climate panel is plug and play and all you need, and by adding the sensor it only gets better!

I guess a write up isn't needed as it's pretty straightforward!

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:22 pm

Just did a quick test, stuffed a black rag over the photo sensor, no headlights, held hand against windscreen over sensor and headlights come on... And the wipers nailed me giving me a hell of a fright (was watching the dash cluster)
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:47 pm

Had to do it most mornings when traveling because no garage or shelter most stops and leaving before 8am things tend to be frosty in southern parts of the country durning May. I also learnt the hard way to wipe the water off the back window some mornings, why don't sedans have a rear wiper?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

adamhumphrey
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby adamhumphrey » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:02 am

Lancer1993 wrote:The panel on top of the dash, centre near the windscreen, is for the AC. From memory its a light sensor so its used to adjust the climate control settings.

The sensor on the windscreen is the rain light sensor and is only used to auto turn on headlights and for the wiper speed.
The sensor that is fitted on the centre of the dash part number 7825A003 is the sunload sensor. I have two cars with the Rain light sensor and auto climate control. One car is 2008 and the Evo is 2010 they both missed out on the sunload sensor.
MY11 Evo X MR (2011-Current)
MY20 Asx GSR (2023-Current)

MY11 Peugoet 207 XT HDi (2020-Mar 2023)
MY09 Lancer Sportback VRX (2015-2019) - Sold Nov 2019
Owner Operator: - Adam's Attention to Detail. Mobile Detailing and Automotive Installations.
https://www.facebook.com/AdamsAttentionToDetail/

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:06 am

I'll have to check if my 09 VRX has the light sensor, maybe it doesn't?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

adamhumphrey
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby adamhumphrey » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:16 am

I would think it would have a light sensor in the windscreen, It was standard on the vrx. My wifes 2008 lancer is a VRX and it has one. I did a quick check on that sunload sensor and I dont know if all cars can use it. Some parts places say excluding Ralliart and model years 15-18.
I'm interested if it helps adjust the climate control better. Where does the sensor plug into??
MY11 Evo X MR (2011-Current)
MY20 Asx GSR (2023-Current)

MY11 Peugoet 207 XT HDi (2020-Mar 2023)
MY09 Lancer Sportback VRX (2015-2019) - Sold Nov 2019
Owner Operator: - Adam's Attention to Detail. Mobile Detailing and Automotive Installations.
https://www.facebook.com/AdamsAttentionToDetail/

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dopey » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:44 pm

adamhumphrey wrote:The sensor on the windscreen is the rain light sensor and is only used to auto turn on headlights and for the wiper speed.
The sensor that is fitted on the centre of the dash part number 7825A003 is the sunload sensor. I have two cars with the Rain light sensor and auto climate control. One car is 2008 and the Evo is 2010 they both missed out on the sunload sensor.

I've checked out 4 Lancers at the wreckers with climate control and none had the sunload sensor, just a blanking cover. I even pulled out the cluster to check the connector and there was nothing connected to it. But some members as above do have the sensor. For whatever reason Mitsubishi decided some cars needed it and others didn't.

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:14 am

Lancer1993 wrote:I'll have to check if my 09 VRX has the light sensor, maybe it doesn't?

Standard fitment on the VR and VR-X models was auto lights and wipers, VR-X got keyless start, body kit, high spoiler, 18" wheels, and more on top of that.
adamhumphrey wrote:I would think it would have a light sensor in the windscreen, It was standard on the vrx. My wifes 2008 lancer is a VRX and it has one. I did a quick check on that sunload sensor and I dont know if all cars can use it. Some parts places say excluding Ralliart and model years 15-18.
I'm interested if it helps adjust the climate control better. Where does the sensor plug into??

Best I've found is in the link above, the dude found the plug behind or around his steering wheel, so it plugs into the cabin loom, my VR-X also has a climate control ECU (7820A209) down in behind the panelling by the glovebox which members without the photo sensor don't seem to have, so I wonder if in later models Mitsubishi built more into the ETACS for climate control, as most of this is plug and play without any need to reprogram anything using a dealer.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dopey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:03 pm

and the final product installed in a pov pack ES! all plug and play, so far so good!

List of ingredients:

1 climate control panel
1 cabin temp sensor
1 temp sensor to heater box hose

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:18 pm

Nice work Alan!

That is good to know, be interesting to see when I have the MMCS installed if that little climate control unit has any bearing on the ability to display the climate control functions on the MMCS unit. or if it is just an extra part left over from the older system.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

Return to “Electrical”