***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

*Problem* radio and aux interference when charging phone

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

hobba
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

*Problem* radio and aux interference when charging phone

Postby hobba » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:08 pm

my second problem of the night...

so when i plug my phone in to charge, via a cable into a double usb port into the cig-lighter, all radio stations develop a quiet static/hiss sound.

all stations, both FM and AM. and also when the cable is in either of the usb ports on my adapter.

problem is similar when i aux mode. however sound is more of a constant "bip, bip bip" sound, and much louder than the static of the radio.

hope this makes sense..

i have also used 3 different cables to no avail...

porkkrop
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby porkkrop » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:32 pm

yes i too encounter this issue with the factory head unit. does this also occur with aftermarket

Ayrton
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Ayrton » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:06 pm

yep I also have this problem...dont think its avoidable in stock aux ports as I've tried different cabling
Red, it goes faster. Exhaust Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOCZgiDJtoM

Fizzlefuzzle
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Fizzlefuzzle » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:59 am

I Also have this problem! It's terrible when I'm trying to listen to my iPod and charge at he same time
<b> Proud owner of Australia's and club cj's first glitter pink 2011 CJ Mitsubishi Ralliart Lancer :) </b>

<i> Life is short, so are my dogs! (corgi life) (basset life) </i>

Mod thread ; http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?p=297953 (cj-black)

Syke
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Syke » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:17 am

is there another cig lighter in your centre console?
if so have you tried switching to that one?
Syke
One step closer to owning an Evo

Google Is Your Friend! Learn to embrace it...
Check Out My Garage
http://clubcj.net/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1054

Fizzlefuzzle
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Fizzlefuzzle » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:37 am

Yes I have 2 cigarette lighters and it does the same thing in both. I even bought another cigarette lighter to plug into it to see if there was any difference but there was none.
<b> Proud owner of Australia's and club cj's first glitter pink 2011 CJ Mitsubishi Ralliart Lancer :) </b>

<i> Life is short, so are my dogs! (corgi life) (basset life) </i>

Mod thread ; http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?p=297953 (cj-black)

evil.ralliart
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby evil.ralliart » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:21 am

hobba wrote:my second problem of the night... so when i plug my phone in to charge, via a cable into a double usb port into the cig-lighter, all radio stations develop a quiet static/hiss sound. all stations, both FM and AM. and also when the cable is in either of the usb ports on my adapter. problem is similar when i aux mode. however sound is more of a constant bip, bip bip sound, and much louder than the static of the radio. hope this makes sense.. i have also used 3 different cables to no avail...

The Bip Bip sound is the phone locating its signal...if you hold any phone next to a radio it will do this even if not on charge. You should have heard the racket the first digital phones made near a radio or any amplified device(Yes im that old...i remember swapping from analogue to digital)
As stated before...keep the phone as far away as possible from the head unit and its charge lead...also try a more expencive charge lead ...most of the cheap ones have little or no shielding. Try putting the phone in the arm rest console and using that charge point not the dash plug.
When the phone is plugged in the lead acts like an antenna/booster for the bip bip noise basically.
So...things to try:

1: Try a genuine apple lead or a better quality one.
2: Keep the phone as far away from the head unit as possible.Try putting it on the back seat with the lead totally wound out...At least you will know if this fixes the problem.
3: Dont coil the charge lead up as this may amplify the interference.
4: Run a fused lead directly from the battery to under your seat
5: If it is an iPhone Gently throw iPhone out of the driver side window preferably while vehicle is moving at hi-speed and replace with Droid.LOL

Note: I only use the centre console charge point with a 2 x USB 2 x Cig lighter adaptor inside the console and have never had any noise problems with the MMCS.

Hope this helps and best of luck with solving it.

Cheers

itsagrantos
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby itsagrantos » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:56 am

I have the exact same problem with my 09 VRX.

From the research I have done, the problem it is called 'Ground Loop Noise' meaning that the power and stereo are grounded to different quality grounding points creating potential difference between these two points, and when you connect your phone to the power and then to AUX, you complete the circuit and the small noise you hear is the interference of the small current flowing around the 'mini circuit'.

I personally believe this is not good enough considering I paid extra for the Rockford premium sound. If I had of known that I couldnt charge my device at the same time I would have purchased after market and had it installed properly unlike our factory stereos.

Has anyone been able to solve the problem?

I have read a number of US forum posts suggesting that re-grounding the AUX port solves it, but haven't given this a go.

n.b. dealers in AUS seem to have no idea about it.

[EDIT] I should also note that I have run a USB port directly off the battery and the noise continues , leading me to believe the problem exists on the AUX end.

itsagrantos
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby itsagrantos » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:44 am

In case anyone has this problem in the future, I have had mine fixed by MITSUBISHI.

The dealer has run a 'new' (not sure if there was one) earthing wire from the 12V power socket to the chassis.

This has eliminated pretty much 90% of the noise I was hearing when playing and charging at the same time!

I don't know if this was covered under warranty or not, but he didn't charge me.

Return to “Electrical”