***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

What's with the trend of CF wrapping of bonnets?

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

What's with the trend of CF wrapping of bonnets?

Postby Gleno » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:07 am

Recently i have noticed a trend with carbon fibre wrapping bonnets and other parts of the cars.
Would like to know how long has this trend been going for and the reasoning for CF wrapping bonnets?? How much does it cost etc? Do members on here like the look of it and would they have it done if they have the opportunity??

cammag5
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby cammag5 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:25 am

I personally really like the look of it but I am on the fence about getting it done. Not sure if people would think im a tool :lol:

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:38 am

It breaks the colour up on the car and I'm presuming it's a cheaper option to spraying the bonnet.

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:38 am

Oh and no paint chips from stones either lol

MRWOLF
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby MRWOLF » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:41 am

Personally, it does look good if no one else copies you. We saw on sat nite on Redlancer08?? He had it done and personally it looked good especially on a red lancer

I think you can just do the bonnent, as this is the most recognised part of the car... anywhere else people might not notice it and i think it would be an expensive mod

But really, apart from the legality issues, I would buy a real CF hood. Its expensive but it would look better then a vinyl
Mine's quicker then yours!!!

Range Rover Sport 2014-
2013 WRX: 2013-
2009 Lancer: 2010-2013
2003 Astra: 2008-2010

Quixand
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Quixand » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:08 am

It really does look ok... but personally I probably won't do it, I like keeping a good balance between "being street", "sophistication" and "maturity" with my car.. having a CF bonnet throws that balance out the window and sorta tags you as being "just Street" and that's it (that is just my opinion)... i'd probably go for more chrome outside and inside the car and it would suit my goals more.

driftnut((
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby driftnut(( » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:21 pm

PROS: it looks sweet, depending on brand of vinyl i would only use 3M, i've put this on a few cars and i always got the same the response which was good feed back..
CONS: idiots/ vandals ETC. people have been know for cutting the vinyl to see if it real or not, yeah i know these people need a hobby.. Also cops may pull you up to check and if they ask you to pop your hood and you have a pod (uncovered) your gone not to mention they'll go over your car with a fine tooth comb..

driftnut((.. ClubCJ's first RX TURBO, Merlinised, K&N pod 18" KING wheels, BC coil overs, Alpine/Pioneer system, Short shifter, Cat back system, Evo x turbo system, ralliart injectors & pump

bye2u
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bye2u » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:02 pm

i would only cf wrap interior parts.. wrapping the exterior parts like the bonnet, boot etc just looks tacky to me..

Mitsi
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mitsi » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:07 pm

I really wanted to get it done so asked my spray painter brother and he suggested not to because moisture can get under it and rust out the bonnet and the sticker will eventually fade and don't want to shell out a few hundred $ every few years
2010 Lancer Ralliart <3

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:02 pm

driftnut(( wrote:PROS: it looks sweet, depending on brand of vinyl i would only use 3M, ive put this on a few cars and i always got the same the response which was good feed back.. CONS: idiots/ vandals ETC. people have been know for cutting the vinyl to see if it real or not, yeah i know these people need a hobby.. Also cops may pull you up to check and if they ask you to pop your hood and you have a pod (uncovered) your gone not to mention theyll go over your car with a fine tooth comb..

Bad points also go for the real stuff too. People will do it with their keys to see if its real...

You can easily tell the fake stuff from the real stuff; the real stuff has distortions in it (not uniform, you never get a perfect weave) and interacts with light differently (has tone).

The fake stuff simulates a perfect distortion free weave and does not interact with light the same way that CF does.

In small areas the fake stuff gets a pass but in large amounts it looks strange
MZG1 leader

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:10 pm

I have it on my roof, and I love it :)
GReddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust - TEIN S.Tech Springs - Injen CAI- 3D Eyelids - Carbon Fiber Interior - Pivot Shift Light - Smoked LED Taillights - Carbonout & Debadge.

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:57 pm

CF bonnets (wrap or real - they look similar esp from a distance) look awesome if it suits the car :)

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:28 pm

When did you take a photo of my car Graham? :lol:

I like it but it depends on the car and colour. I like black/carbon fibre roofs especially.

sleepy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby sleepy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:54 pm

I have my front bumper done. My car is already black but it still breaks the colour up, also matches the vlip since thats matte.

I never really thought about how it would look, but I didn't want to go with straight matte black for a vinyl. I wanted to relocate my numberplate so thats why i got the wrap done there.

whitenight
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby whitenight » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:12 pm

Mitsi wrote:I really wanted to get it done so asked my spray painter brother and he suggested not to because moisture can get under it and rust out the bonnet and the sticker will eventually fade and dont want to shell out a few hundred $ every few years

you actually have a aluminium bonnet so no rust issues. :)

Return to “Exterior”