***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Evo X bonnet replica's (in steel, not FG or CF)

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:14 am

Painting of a bonnet at a panel shop is usually about A$300-A$400.

I think you need to buy 2 bonnets to let them smash test one to get the Engineering certificate? Else how do you get a the cert by the guy not even being to take a sample of the product?
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

INVUR-1
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby INVUR-1 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:23 am

ofey wrote:Painting of a bonnet at a panel shop is usually about A$300-A$400. I think you need to buy 2 bonnets to let them smash test one to get the Engineering certificate? Else how do you get a the cert by the guy not even being to take a sample of the product?

ohh woot !!!! stuffed that
(cj-black) oO~`AnDreW Black CJ VIC`~Oo (cj-black)

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:50 am

Don't quote me on the 2nd part. But I'm sure the engineering cert needs some form of damage or sample testing.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel

Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust

BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars

EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:50 pm

FRP, CF, FG, Steel and any other material is still listed as 'illegal' until an engineers certificate is obtained. Steel however will easily get an engineers certificate with little to no problems. CF not far behind.

Without that certification; the part is classed as illegal regardless of what its made in.

They dont necessary smash your bonnet to pieces. They check for sound structure, reinforcement of the likelyhood of an impact and a few other things.

Strange thing is there are no tests involved on pedestrian impacts especially with CF (the main reason why everyone thinks CF is illegal; again not the reason why). CF is illegal mainly due to its manufacturing process is so varied it is something that is very difficult to set an industry benchmark standard. How it performs in that likely event of an impact; CF made using the right resins will have a single clean crack. It wont break and shatter into shards like what is said by many others. It will do that though if it is made with a similar resin to FG products.

Crash impact tests are something completely different.
MZG1 leader

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:03 pm

I'm not saying you're wrong Tim but that doesn't make sense to me :?

They obviously have to meet a standard to get certified so why don't they make that standard the industry benchmark?

Unless its more about poor consistency (from manufacturing practices) than product quality.

Personally I wouldn't consider a steel bonnet to be much of an upgrade too :lol:

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:34 pm

It is confusing. CF has so many different ways it can be made and policing it is something that is hard to do. CF has a blanket ban on it so it can be assessed case by case.

Unlike many other materials used where there are standards in place CF it changes from every different manufacturer. Even though the stuff has been around for decades its only in recent years starting to enter more mainstream use. Its making its way from motorsport (where it is regulated) into the domestic market where its still trial and error.

Another issue with CF is you can hardly ever have duplicate parts. Imperfections are very common with CF. Bigger companies have their own standards but its something that varies across the board.

What they mainly look for in the certification process for certain CF parts (different parts will have different checklists to go through) are:

-reinforcement of key mounting areas (in bonnets its your hinge area)
-subframe assemblies (if part does not have any form of this it will not pass)
-attachment of subframes to external material (in steel bonnets its the weld areas, in CF its however the subframe is attached)
-stress/crumple zones present in the subframe (in likelyhood of accident subframe prevents further damage through crumple zones)

Those are some of the things I can remember. Last time I had anything to do with certification was getting a chassis certified and that was years and years ago.

But yeah they dont smash the parts up. That is a different set of tests.
MZG1 leader

INVUR-1
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby INVUR-1 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:52 pm

sound so complicated and expensive $_$
(cj-black) oO~`AnDreW Black CJ VIC`~Oo (cj-black)

driftnut((
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby driftnut(( » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:51 pm

i rang SSV includes vents as mentioned before, but he is unsure if it comes with dent on the inside to allow the intercooler pipes hmmmm

driftnut((.. ClubCJ's first RX TURBO, Merlinised, K&N pod 18" KING wheels, BC coil overs, Alpine/Pioneer system, Short shifter, Cat back system, Evo x turbo system, ralliart injectors & pump

El-Diablo
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby El-Diablo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:48 pm

FACT: Carbon Fibre Components released as part of OEM equipment are totally legal please don't make blanket statements about carbon fibre being illegal.

The reason structural components are strictly regulated is because they affect the structural integrity and crash performance of the vehicles under ADR's

BMW M3 has a carbon fibre roof and is sold and registered in Australia.

Audi is not releasing the latest RS which has carbon fibre front panels as they aren't prepared to do the required crash testing to meet Australia's ADR's

Initially in the use of carbon fibre in formula one they were worried that in a crash it would crack and rupture causing sharp edges what they found was that it disintegrated into tiny shards this is actually an advantage as it dissipates energy.

Carbon fibre in structural components is designed to disintegrate in that manner as a feature it is not why it is "banned"

lukeaday
Club Sponsor
Club Sponsor

Postby lukeaday » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:01 pm

ofey wrote:Painting of a bonnet at a panel shop is usually about A$300-A$400. I think you need to buy 2 bonnets to let them smash test one to get the Engineering certificate? Else how do you get a the cert by the guy not even being to take a sample of the product?

I would be leaning more towards the $400 mark.

Also guys, keep in mind that cars in a production line are sprayed differently to those that are sprayed at a panel shop.
The best way to have your bonet sprayed is to give the panel shop the whole car and have them blend out the colour onto the top of the guards and the top of the bumper bar. Especially if the car is a pearl/metallic which is every colour in the lancer range except white.
Doing this will help avoid the disapointment of having a slightly different colour bonet to the rest of the car.
Obviously this will more than likely increase the price.
Not to mention, painting the underside of the bonet aswell.

From my experience, colours to watch out for are P26 red as it needs a grey base first. I got 2 different colours out of the same tin when I sprayed my body kit. The ABS side skirts and the fibreglas front and rear lip all came out very slightly different to the actual car colour. Not super noticable but if it was a bonet it would stand out like dogs balls.
Also, a friend of mine crashed there P26 red lancer and the accredited panel shop had big dramas matching the colour properly.

I spoke to the paint rep at work regarding A39 metallic grey and he said that the formulated colour must be eye matched to the car as there are variants in the colour across the production line.

So in a nutshell, There is more to just finding the CHEAPEST way around slapping some paint down on the bonet.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.
Official ClubCJ Sponsor.

Return to “Exterior”