***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Magnetic car bra... do I or don't I?

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

casper28
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Magnetic car bra... do I or don't I?

Postby casper28 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:13 pm

Been reading previous experiences with these - the issues that Draevon (Tim) had, but then read the good sides that BD-850 (Ben) had...
Seems that the only place that has the good ones are from Auto City Imports in the US (thankfully I have contacts over there) so I can get it sent to them and then they can send it over. Bit iffy about ebay ones which I think is where Tim got his from.

Has anyone else had any experiences with these magnetic car bras? I don't like the full car bras, but I have got 3 stone chips already (grrrrr), and I am looking at heading to Townsville shortly (depending on what Cyclone Yasi wants to do...)

Any info (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Casper

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:19 pm

well as im sure you have read my reviews but i will give it again for others that may not have seen it.

i got mine because i noticed all my stone chips were at the front of the bonnet and none on the bumper. It does work, because you can see little marks on the Bra where rock have hit it. My main advice, is if you leave the car parked in the sun all day, TAKE IT OFF, otherwise it will melt onto your paint work. It is a pain to put on each time, but i take mine off every month and give it a good clean underneith. but make sure its VERY clean when you put it back on.

But i cant complian about mine and get lots of looks.

casper28
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby casper28 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:54 pm

Thanks Ben. When I am working at Murarrie (near the city) we have an underground carpark so no probs with the sun there. But when I am working at the RAAF base at Amberley or at Rocklea (well.... what's left of work at Rocklea courtesy of the floods) the car would be out in the sun.
Usually it would be in the garage at home, but I have the bike in there at the moment until I sell it.
The main reason for getting one is because of the stone chips. The little plastic bonnet protectors wouldn't be sufficient, as the stone chips are a bit higher, however the magnetic car bra would be.
Thanks again Ben! I will look into and check the bank balance :)

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:57 pm

Why don't they make them better then? :?

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:59 pm

Yep I'll echo what Ben said. As far as how it looks, I loved it. Stared at it the whole time I had it, but yeah I left mine on the car all the time, and at that stage my car was parked in the Sun 24/7, and it cause problems, both with the look of the Bra and then with my paintwork underneath. So if you park the car undercover, are happy to remove the bra when parked in the sun for extended periods, or are willing to take the gamble, then go for it, cause they look awesome :)

For the record I did buy it off of eBay, but from "The maker of the original MagnetBra!!!!" Pretty sure it was the genuine guy, cause he got pretty furious when I told him I had problems with it. Another idea would be giving your car a hefty waxing before putting the bra on, might lower your risk of paint damage. In the meantime, I'm seriously considering recreating the look with 3M Di-Noc :)
GReddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust - TEIN S.Tech Springs - Injen CAI- 3D Eyelids - Carbon Fiber Interior - Pivot Shift Light - Smoked LED Taillights - Carbonout & Debadge.

MichaelG
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby MichaelG » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:26 am

I know this is an 'old' thread, however, I am considering ordering one of these. Does anyone currently use one? If so, can you please provide a review. I am concerned that the magnetic car bra may damage the paintwork, which would defeat the purpose of using one. If this bra is not suitable, are there any other suggestions. All advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated. I have only had my Lancer for 6 weeks and there are already small stone chips on the bonnet.

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:57 am

3M make a clear adhesive vinyl I have it on the Evo and am quite happy with it.Check out your local window tinters they may be able to help you.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

chris
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby chris » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:54 am

Michael Ozishield does the 3M type installation in Melbourne they did mine very happy with the job not cheap though cost me $770 I also had the front windscreen done with ClearPlex windshield protection at a cost of $280 to me it was money well spent.

taz
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby taz » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:13 am

I read the title the first time as "magnetic car, bruh" and was wondering what the hell a magnetic car was lmao

Return to “Exterior”