***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Activ spoiler install

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Nick07
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Activ spoiler install

Postby Nick07 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:42 pm

Hey guys, I just purchased myself a second hand activ spoiler for $80 in the same colour as my car, bargain in my opinion, it came with all the fixings. My main question is that I can see there was a type of adhesive used to keep keep the spoiler in place, almost like a foam type substance, I was just wondering if I would need to use a type of product like this when installing it, or should I just do the holes and put silicon around each hole once it's all together.

Does anyone have measurements as to where I should drill the holes, it is the same as the VRX.

I can't wait to put it on, hopefully it will look a bit more aggressive.

Thanks,
Nick

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:07 am

Nick congratulations on the great buy. That will be a nice little feature.

Try your local Mitsubishi dealer as they will be able to print you a copy of the installation instructions.

I would fit the rubber/foam seal down. It is just door seal. You can buy it from hardware stores or rubber suppliers. It is sticky on one side. Just fit it to the bottom of the spoiler all the way round. Cut it so it is neat around the base of the spoiler. It will stop the spoiler from moving and protect your paint. It also will seal against moisture getting in the holes.

DORA_ANNE
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby DORA_ANNE » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:48 pm

Nick We Fitted The Activ Spoiler To My VR , And If You can't get the instructions That Troy Suggested I can PM You our Phone Number and My Husband said he will explain the Installation for you if you would like ....

Regards Doreen .
Angels Are Sometimes Disguised As Friends

Nick07
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Nick07 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:04 pm

aspir3 wrote:
Try your local Mitsubishi dealer as they will be able to print you a copy of the installation instructions.

Would all the dealers have this and would they most likely charge for it?

Nick07
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Nick07 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:17 pm

Well I took some pictures to help clarify some of the things I was talking about.

Here are the holes that I am talking about, from sight they look like they will match, but as you pointed out Doreen you think they don't fully line up, I was told the VRX and Activ spoiler have the same holes, fingers crossed:

Troy, there is still a bit of that rubber left on the spoiler on both sides so hopefully I don't need to replace it, what do you think?

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:49 pm

Yes all Mitsubishi dealer will have copies of the drawing. My dealer is happy just to print them for me at no charge.

As for the holes you pointed out, they are tooling holes for the inner boot panel. I will try not to get too technical, but they are used to help locate the panel as it goes from one press tool to the next. But tooling holes are often put in a position that also are used for some thing else. eg. spoiler attachment holes. Factory fitted spoilers will have the holes punched in to the outer boot panel as well. This helps with location issues and time. Also the holes get painted as well.

Fitting the spoiler to a boot without the holes is easy enough though. You just need to measure properly and be good with a hand drill. If you can check the holes position to some ones car with a spoiler fitted as factory(VRX) then this will help you.

The rubber looks fine on the bottom of the spoiler. It is just there to help protect the paint on both boot and spoiler. Just make sure they are not touching when you fit the spoiler. If they are, just cut new ones and use the old ones as a template.

Nick07
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Nick07 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:53 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll have to go down on Tuesday and ask the local dealership, they are a good bunch of guys.

Yeah, my step brother has some ideas on how we are going to do it, just start with a small drill bit and work up in size.

Can't wait to install it :)

Happy New Year.

DORA_ANNE
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby DORA_ANNE » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:31 pm

Hi Nick I Have Taken This Photo of the Bolts to give you an idea where ours are and I measured between the bolts and it is Roughly 12 cm , But Bear in mind that I have the Little VR Lip spoiler as well and my Activ Spoiler fits just in Front of that . So yours might fit a little back then mine . Hope this makes sense to you if not just ask any Questions I may be able to help you with .

I Have put a photo in to give you an idea with my lip Spoiler as well . Regards Doreen .

unfazed
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby unfazed » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:44 pm

Rear Spoiler Removal And Installation

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tape Installation

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1. Installation position CAUTION:

o The ambient temperature should be 15 (59) to 40°C(104°F). Ensure that the working area is clean.
o If ambient temperature is less than 15°C (59°F), heat the tape and application surface to a temperature of 15 (59)to 40°C(104°F).
o Be careful that air bubbles are not formed under the tape.

2. Installation procedure

1. Wipe the tape application surface and clean it with a rag moistened with isopropyl alcohol.
2. Remove backing paper from the tape, and apply it to the rear spoiler assembly.

I don't know if this will help but here ya go. =)

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:55 pm

if you ever get any leaks, patch it up woth silicone

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:33 pm

Doreen is right about having to put the Activ spoiler a bit further back. The rear of it should be reasonably flushed with the back of the boot lid.

Nick07
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Nick07 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:56 pm

Is it alright if I have it hanging over the back of the boot ? It's not illegal or anything?

Nick07
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Nick07 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:33 pm

Installing it tomorrow, hopefully will have pics up on Thurs or Fri.

DORA_ANNE
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby DORA_ANNE » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:42 am

Good Luck with The Installation Nick ... I will Look out For The Pic's :)

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:08 pm

if its too late ahh well, but when i put my wing on i just used double sided tape as the foam bit between the wing and the boot.

Return to “Exterior”