***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Paint Problem???

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Matzilla
INACTIVE Member Account

Paint Problem???

Postby Matzilla » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:15 pm

OK,....... I went away for a few days and had to leave my car outside. When I came back I found bird poo over my baby that had dried on. I have washed and polished her straight away but the poo has left marks on the black duco. I have tried polish and spot remover, but no luck. Has anyone got any tips to help or am I stuck with this????
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway!!

Superintendent Chalmers
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Superintendent Chalmers » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:29 pm

Unfortunately its the sad truth that you may be stuck with it. Just do what I do - I put aside $20 a week because I know that in 18-24 months time I will need a respray. The black paint from Mitsubishi is pretty ordinary. The acid in the bird poo can permanently mark it if not treated straight away. Sorry.......

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:35 am

First move, clay bar. Failing that....

A good cut and polish may help. If this fails.... I'm sorry, but I'm out of ideas.

It seems to happen to many black Mitsi cars. Don't know what's so bad about the paint quality comapred to the other colours. :S

Hope that helps.

lukeaday
Club Sponsor
Club Sponsor

Postby lukeaday » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:03 am

It's not just the black. The P26 red on my car is piss thin.
It's got me stuffed how they managed to get coverage with such a thin film build.
Official ClubCJ Sponsor.

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:57 am

Yea, the paint on the mitsus are so thin that our 7 year old camry that we park outside has a better exterior look (in terms of paint) compared to our 2.5 yr old outlander!

In fact the paint was so thin I had to buy mudguards for the outie simply because it was getting way too many chips!
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

Tin_Pusher
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Tin_Pusher » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:59 am

I had marks left in the paint on my bonnet from a few soft leaves blowing in a breeze overnight from a shrub I was parked against :evil:

Toughseal Step 1 got the marks out with a number of applications, then finished off with Step 2. Like exaltd indicates, something with a little more cutting power than Step 1 would have been better though.

The Toughseal steps 1 & 2 and their dry wash & shine after each clean really seems to work with bird poo though. Wipe off with a wet cloth within 24 hours and no mark left. Haven't left anything longer than that, though I suspect if any mark was left a reapp like para 2 above would do the trick.

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:14 pm

lukeaday wrote:It's not just the black. The P26 red on my car is piss thin.
It's got me stuffed how they managed to get coverage with such a thin film build.

its like that cause of the way its paint at assembly. and not the proper way like a real spray painter would do it.
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

blade888
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby blade888 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:35 pm

Yea the thin paint is a major downfall on our CJs.

The amount of time and money spent of polishing etc, getting paint protection (that works) pays off to a degree.
Sportback VR/GReddy Spectrum Elite/Advanti Medusa/K&N High-Flow Performance Panel Filter/Cusco Racing Braces

Matzilla
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Matzilla » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Yeah, I have noticed that the CJ chips very easily. Thanks for the tip, will try the toughseal. Anything is worth a go!!!
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway!!

Return to “Exterior”