***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Fender flares

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

NotAnEvo
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Fender flares

Postby NotAnEvo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:09 pm

Would it necessarily be a dumb idea to put black 50/70mm fender flares on my lancer (in profile picture) without having any kind of body kit on it?

It’s not lowered yet but eventually it will have a 30mm drop, might put 15mm spacers and canter the back wheels -1.5 or something like that, idk if I should be too keen on putting a body kit on it though

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Re: Fender flares

Postby lancerdarryl » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:49 pm

Just a comment on wheel spacers......don't use them they will cause bearing failure and you will have a hard time keeping the wheels on it because the wheel nuts tend to keep coming loose.A much better fix is to get the offset you need by purchasing a set of wheels with the desired offset.As for the flares that one is up to you.Running that amount of neg camber will wear out tyres extremely fast, 1/2 deg is more than enough front or rear.
PS wheel spacers are illegal and you can be defected for using them
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:38 pm

lancerdarryl wrote:Just a comment on wheel spacers......don't use them they will cause bearing failure and you will have a hard time keeping the wheels on it because the wheel nuts tend to keep coming loose.A much better fix is to get the offset you need by purchasing a set of wheels with the desired offset.As for the flares that one is up to you.Running that amount of neg camber will wear out tyres extremely fast, 1/2 deg is more than enough front or rear.

Absolutely spot on and I am 110% behind you on this

Well said

NotAnEvo
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby NotAnEvo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:39 pm

lancerdarryl wrote:Just a comment on wheel spacers......don't use them they will cause bearing failure and you will have a hard time keeping the wheels on it because the wheel nuts tend to keep coming loose.A much better fix is to get the offset you need by purchasing a set of wheels with the desired offset.As for the flares that one is up to you.Running that amount of neg camber will wear out tyres extremely fast, 1/2 deg is more than enough front or rear.

Oh wow okay, thanks for the warning on all of those points, all the stuff I’ve been looking into and can find have mostly been overseas and I should probably start doing more research about local regulations.

Tbh I’m unsure on the offset of my rims atm but the camber on the wheels would still be cool. Is the 1/2 degree a noticeable difference at all?

Dongdodger
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Dongdodger » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:54 pm

I can second that. I've got an r33 gtr running spacers on the rear and I had the rear passenger side wheel nearly come off 3 times before taking it off the road.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:02 am

I'd hate to see the damage done when a wheel comes off at speed in a suburban area and hits a child.
Sadly people just don't think about that and they should

Return to “Exterior”