***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

tow bar compatibility

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

tow bar compatibility

Postby dopey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:14 am

hey all, is the sportback tow bar the same as the sedan? I know the kits have different part numbers but is the actual tow bar the same?

There is a sportback with a tow bar with part number MR936608, which looks like it will bolt up to a sedan.

also according to these fitting instructions there is a loom that plugs in at the engine bay, but I can't find it on the wreck. It definitely has the factory tow bar and wiring kit with the ECU. does anyone know what the front loom does?

thank you!

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Re: tow bar compatibility

Postby lancerdarryl » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:31 am

It’s just a single wire that goes from the trailer wiring ECU to the battery. They should have run wire down the left side on the inside of the car.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dopey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:41 am

Thank you lancerdarryl! I'll go back and have a look. I couldn't see any additional wiring it all seemed to plug into the harness with the exception of the red wire.

there was another thread that mentioned differences in the wiring for cars up to 2011 and from 2011 onwards. this is a 2011 loom going into a 2008. hopefully the wiring can be bought separate as I can get the ECU.

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dopey » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:45 am

I've managed to bolt up the tow bar from a hatch into a sedan, all the bolt holes lined up perfectly! does need a bit of the bumper cut out though for the tow bar tongue.

so I guess that answers the question!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:10 pm

Some picks would be nice when done.

I got a new one fitted to my sedan earlier in the year, nice to have the option to hook up the box trailer to pickup stuff that won't fit in the car.

They had to cut my bumper for the tongue to work.

My only gripe is the way its wired up through a box that protects the ECU non of the trailer lights work unless the car is running, too bad if you're stuck on the side of the road and need the hazard lights flashing!
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Return to “Exterior”