***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Broken wheel arch moulding

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Broken wheel arch moulding

Postby burfadel » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:41 pm

I just got back from holidays, and on my trip I came across a bird in the middle of the road. I was thinking it's going to fly off... it's going to fly off... it didn't fly off! I ended up running over what I believe was a Common Bronze Wing Pigeon (a native bird). At 110 kph I wasn't going to swerve for it, nor slam on my brakes as there were cars behind me. Anyways, I heard this very loud noise, much louder than I thought a pigeon hitting the front of the car or underneath should sound.

I pulled over, and saw the damage the bird did. The wheel arch moulding on the left side, at the front, from the bottom up now has a huge 'n' shaped hole in it at the front, and it is broken down the bottom. I'll attach a picture tomorrow. Basically, it's a Common Bronze Wing Pigeon size hole (much bigger than a feral pigeon) and I can see inside the front of the bottom of the engine bay!

What I believe happened is I ran over the bird, it got (or started to fly) up into the top of the wheel arch, and the tyre spinning at 110 kph launched it forward and down and created the hole. Before you ask, yes I did get part of what was remaining of the bird out from where it entered in the hole, it backs up what I think happened.

The question now is, how the hell do I fix it?! The problem is the force of it also damaged the plastic bits it attaches to, just enough that replacing one part would still require glue and patience. The plastic is fairly thick really, it must have been an incredible amount of force to break it cleanly like it did.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

CJsportback
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Re: Broken wheel arch moulding

Postby CJsportback » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:30 pm

It's hard to say without a picture. I think once you've uploaded the photo we'd be able to provide more insight as to how to fix it. You may be able to get away with a new moulding and some clips, you may not need to buy anything. There's really not much we can say without seeing for ourselves :)

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:15 pm

Well,that sucks. Did the same sort of thing near Broken Hill a while back. Interested to see a few pictures of the damage.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:22 am

Ouch!
Daily: My14 Lancer LX
Weekender: 2009 MY09 Ralliart Hatch

My Mod Thread: viewtopic.php?p=324612#324612
Instagram: http://instagram.com/mitsii_lx

Dannn
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dannn » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:43 am

I have nothing to input on the topic but Daryl, i may be wrong here but damn that looks funny.
Merlinised

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:50 am

Dannn wrote:I have nothing to input on the topic but Daryl, i may be wrong here but damn that looks funny.

:D It was the unlucky one out of a flock.Had to pull the inner guard off to get him out of the oil cooler.

Dannn
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dannn » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:52 am

lancerdarryl wrote:
Dannn wrote:I have nothing to input on the topic but Daryl, i may be wrong here but damn that looks funny.

:D It was the unlucky one out of a flock.Had to pull the inner guard off to get him out of the oil cooler.

With that picture in mind and looking at your forum sig, my question is, did you back off? Haha
Merlinised

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:30 pm

Okay, here's the damage. As you can imagine it made quite a noise when it got projected forward through the arch.

Sorry about the angle, it was the best I could do given the angle and using a phone.

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:56 pm

Wow that did some damage! Be worth a trip to the wreckers to try and find what you need.New parts would probably be expensive but I'd still check on the OEM price...you never know.

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:11 pm

I looked on the Upullit website at the stocklist, there aren't any actual CJ Lancers in Adelaide at their locations. There are CJ Lancers listed, but they are all before 2007 (so not CJ Lancers).

I would imagine the OEM parts would be expensive, plus I won't know if there are any other issues until it is replaced. The other thing is how would I describe the part? It would probably have to be ordered in from overseas considering there is probably zero demand for it.

Who knew a stupid pigeon (Common bronzewing - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_bronzewing) could do damage like that?! I think it must have just been a one in a thousand (if not more) shot. Typically you would expect such a bird to take off and not just stand in the middl e of the road looking around!

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:51 pm

It's called a "wheel arch cover" from memory.If you describe it to the parts person I'm sure they will be able to identify it.

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:08 pm

Also have a look at the autObarn website they have them listed in their body panels and crash parts section.Sorry I couldn't get it give me a link.There was no price listed either :)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:11 am

Sorry to see the damage, the worst I got on a trip last year was a few pot holes and 6000km of bugs coasting the front of the CJ.

You still did the right things, so many have tried swerving only to end in a ditch or worse causing way more damage. I did come close to hitting a small Kangaroo that decided to jump out in front of me in rural NSW, lucky just slowing was enough to avoid it.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:03 pm

Hard to believe a bird that size could do so much damage. Perhaps what could have happened, bird caused initial damage causing the panel to come into contact with the rotating tyre and from there varoom!!!!

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:19 pm

That's a possibility! Although it would have happened within a fraction of the time that it hit. I don't see how it could have come from the front, so I still think it hit from the tyre launching it into the panel. What may have happened is the bird punched the flap one way near the top part, which the impact also broke the clips attaching it, the wind flowing through the grill pushed it forward onto the tyre and the tyre pulled it down and ripped off the section? With the huge hole there it didn't push the panel again, probably enough room for the air to flow through. Actually technically it probably has improved the drag coefficient at highway speeds on the left side!

Return to “Exterior”