***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Rear Diffuser

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Re: Rear Diffuser

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:27 am

lancerdarryl wrote:No, they are only cosmetic as are all aero devices on road cars.

I have read the roof ones can aid in better fuel economy, but maybe that just marketing from the sellers?

But I guess on my VRX taking the big wing of the boot could be just as useful, less weight and one less object to catch the wind.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:54 am

Basically all these items, such as rear spoiler, rear diffusers, roof and front diffuses and other add ons, do very little, if anything for the car with normal street usage, with in some instances a benefit at highway speeds. For instance at 120kph some down force from a properly designed and fitted boot spoiler and roof tabs that will help redirect airflow down the rear window thus reducing drag,these do work at highway speed if properly designed and and correctly fitted and have been and are used on trucks and semis:

Rear diffusers once again can and do work, if properly designed but of little to no value at normal day to day usage. However in many if not most instances, are purely built for cosmetic purposes as even manufactures have been known to admit. They are fashionable and the reason I and I imagine most others do or intend to put one on. Added weight and more likely to be damaged on uneven ground.

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:57 am

This one is a proper diffuser........
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Wow! Diffuser and then some. Presume its a race car? Whats the material? Cosmetic?
Be interesting to see results in a wind tunnel.

Remember reading about a Stanley Steamer, steam car years ago, that was streamlined and bottom done in similar manner to try and break the then land speed record. At 190mph it took off, air borne and crashed. They weren't very well versed in aerodynamic, down force etc: in those days!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:57 pm

I guess if those buying them know its just for appearances in most cases then they should be happy.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:37 pm

Placed order for Talon rear diffuser today being shipped to me tonight! Price $330 delivered.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:01 am

Received Talon diffuser, cant see any problem with finish. Put it up just holding it up with hands, mine and my sons, fit looks great right along the top except possible fixable problem at both ends, appears to be a slight gap at the corners, could even be OK when fitted. Will be painting and fitting it myself. :) If needed whats the best way to build up a fiberglass edge? :?:

Edit:- Problems could be worse then first expected! One side issue, chrome tip supplied doesn't fit. MY15 ES sport comes with chrome tip, not quite a match with the two supplied, on removing the original one, I discovered that the outlet pipe from the muffler starts at 2" and widens out to a 2.5 inch section outlet. Yes the muffler is the original! Will keep you informed of final outcome.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:39 pm

Test fitted talon rear diffuser. Everything fine, fit great, except for need of a bit of fill necessary on both corners. Made template and will fill with fiberglass.
Removed diffuser , will now fill corners and paint and then final refit. Should be perfect! Well pretty close!

Stevie
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Stevie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:45 am

Always the risk of aftermarket parts not fitting correctly. Though lots work well with a tiny bit of adjusting. :P

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:47 am

lancerdarryl wrote:No, they are only cosmetic as are all aero devices on road cars.

Currently fitting a Talon diffuser to my ES sport, admittedly for cosmetic reasons but it does have a mesh outlet
that scoops air from under the car and out into vacuum at rear, so should have some effect on slip stream.
Also upward sweep of item could provide some down force. Unfortunately negated to whatever degree by added drag
due to design. The RA diffuser is designed for effect rather than cosmetic reasons. :D

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:05 pm

Talon rear diffuser painted gunmetal grey, ready to install. :D

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:34 pm

Finally fitted the talon diffuser!!! Very happy with the results. painted it myself Gunmetal Grey, tones in perfectly with cool silver of my car

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:42 pm

That looks very good.Its would be the best fitting one I've seen.Good colour too!
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR

"Don't back off until you hit something"

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:51 am

lancerdarryl wrote:That looks very good.Its would be the best fitting one I've seen.Good colour too!

Gaps on two outer corners, not noticeable unless looked for, could have been better. Maybe future fix?
Will paint those screws underneath :)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:14 pm

Nice work,
I want something like this and be able to remove the center 'grill' to putt on a removable tow ball when I need to tow something.

Can this be modified to do this?

Return to “Exterior”