***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Installing VRX Front Apron Lip

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

darylcheng029
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Installing VRX Front Apron Lip

Postby darylcheng029 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:38 am

Hey everyone,
I have a Mitsubishi Lancer VR 2008 and I really want to get the two front side apron lips that come standard with the VRX models. I saw one on eBay for $120 that still needs to be painted, but I can do that. I was wondering if installation is an easy job and which tools will be required? Any help would be appreciated thanks guys

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162184465965 ... EBIDX%3AIT

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Re: Installing VRX Front Apron Lip

Postby lancerdarryl » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:11 am

They don't look too hard to fit,the OEM one are held on with a couple of bolts and double sided tape.The most important thing is to get a good fit before you paint them,this will involve some filing and sanding.As for tools just your basic hand tools maybe a drill to make some holes.Do they supply the mounting hardware? If not you will need to see what you need when you get them.Probably you will only need some 6mm bolts and speed nuts and some double sided tape(3M brand is best) or maybe some Sikaflex adhesive.Just take your time,get them to fit nice and you should be OK.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

darylcheng029
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby darylcheng029 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:20 pm

Thanks so much I'll have a look into it

Stevie
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Stevie » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:43 pm

Be careful with fiberglass front pods. They can crack much easier than a plastic alternative.

The only other seller that has a plastic alternative (that I'm aware of) is bodykitskingdom on ebay. I've got some on order that they should have in stock by next tuesday and i can let you know how they fit and if they're even etc at that time. They're also screw/bolt ins + with a bit of double sided tape (3M brand if you can find it or even sikaflex as mentioned by Darryl above will be fine, although most high end brands combined with a wax & grease remover should be fine.)

Parts like this are not hard to install, though if you can get an extra pair of hands it will make it much easier! Recently did some skirts and they follow the same installation concept as the front pods.

Goodluck and I'll post back about my pods when they arrive :)

Please make sure to do a fitting before any type of sanding/primer/painting others you won't have a hope to get a refund.

Dannn
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dannn » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:57 am

Watching this with interest. Has the part arrived?
Merlinised

Stevie
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Stevie » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:03 pm

My part has not arrived yet. Was dispatched last night, I hope to have it early next week!

darylcheng029
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby darylcheng029 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:31 pm

My parts arrived. I ended up buying the fiberglass one because he accepted my offer of $100. No idea how to install though. My car's getting restored cosmetically so I asked the guy to install it for me. I'll let you know how it all goes

darylcheng029
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby darylcheng029 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:52 pm

Hey everyone, so my car got all fixed and the front lips were installed. Because it's an aftermarket product, there is a very small gap between the lip and the actual bumper, but nothing noticeable at all. The guy said it was easy to install, just drill three holes for each lip and bolt it on. He said he put adhesive on it as well but that's optional. Hope all the best for you guys

Dannn
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dannn » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:26 am

Could you take some pictures if you get a spare minute? Would like to see it fitted on your car.
Merlinised

Stevie
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Stevie » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:11 pm

I've been meaning to post this earlier but 7 day working week and other commitments have held me back. These are my pods from Bodykitskingdom. They are Plastic instead of FG and compeltely untouched. No sanding, primer or paint etc etc done yet.

I have not fully installed them. These pictures are part of a test fit for when I had 10 minutes to spare to see how they lined up and I will say they're a 99% perfect fitment. If I have a second pair of hands it would've helped me determine whether they are completely perfect but I had no one around to help me out at the time.

My apologies if these pictures suck and I have no idea how to format them properly on this forum.

I couldn't get the one on the right in the pictures to line up perfectly due to not having help and a fly attacking me, but I do believe them both to be a perfect fitment. Just not 100% sure. I'm also aware my car is a bit dirty. :(

Tried to get a picture of most angles to show them off but I realised I forgot to get one of the underside of my car to show where/how the the three screws fit.

The clips on the inner side where the screws fit feel very solid but do have small gaps and I would advise anyone buying aftermarket parts to seal them up. Even with a little bit of basic super glue. Little bit of extra hold won't hurt.

The only issue with these is that the bottom 3 screw holders (?) are bent to shit. They are very flexible and once they're in place they should be completely fine. There's no sign of fatigue when bent back into shape with how they will be sitting once installed.

EDIT: Just realised I forgot to cover my plate. Fuck. The secret is out. Toot me if ya see me. :P

Dannn
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dannn » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:25 pm

So you need to screw 5 or 6 screws into the front of the bar, sit it over top and screw in underneath?
Merlinised

Stevie
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Stevie » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:33 pm

Yes, you tighten the front (i'm pretty sure it's) 5 screws in from the inside on the lip. And then the three on the bottom.

Combine that with some double sided tape such as 3M adhesive and you've got yourself some front pods.

My set of pods included all the screws and little fiddly bits I require to install them. You can see the little bag next to the tape in the last pictures, there's two sets. One for each side.

It's an easy job, especially if you have someone else to help you but can be done alone with little hassle. Just make sure you measure up the holes correctly before doing anything with a drill.

Fitting the screws into the pods with something on the end of the screw such as a small amount of grease to line up when pressed against your bar, will not work. You will have to measure up with a ruler and a pencil to get exact measurements. The grease trick in my opinion is only good for spoilers.

I'd like to see how Daryl's turned out if he decides to post soon as they're fiberglass compared to my plastic ones. I'm sure with correct coating they will look extremely similar.

darylcheng029
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby darylcheng029 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:47 am

Hey so these pictures are my front apron lips installed, primed and painted. These are the fibreglass ones and you can see the fitting is not 100%. It's nothing too obvious, but you can definitely tell close up. Fibreglass also has a tendency to crack if it has impact or anything like that, so when you park front first, make sure you are careful when park and kerb bumps. Looking at Stevie's pictures, the plastic ones do look really nice, so I think that if you're not too fussed about the more expensive plastic option, I'd definitely go for those. But if you don't mind the small gap between the bumper and lip on the fibreglass option, it is the cheaper alternative.
Attachments
IMG_2652.JPG
IMG_2652.JPG (270.33 KiB) Viewed 16770 times
IMG_2651.JPG
IMG_2651.JPG (298.18 KiB) Viewed 16770 times

Stevie
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Stevie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:29 pm

They look nice! Obviously there is a gap. You can always user a filler to hide it a little more.

If I can get around to doing mine soon I'll update it here. Currently working on my RA rear bumper and dual muffler which should be done by the weekend as well as my RA bonnet. Pods aren't a big job though so might squeeze them in before the others.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:41 pm

I would fit oem ones. They come painted to and are well priced. They fit perfectly and are plastic so they wear better and won't cracked.

Return to “Exterior”