***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Touch up paint

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Dannn
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Touch up paint

Postby Dannn » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:32 pm

Hey

So I'm after some touch up paint for the car. Where is the best place to get it from and what's the going rate? Has anyone got a link for me that isnt going to take 2 months to get here from great britain.

B06 is the code i believe (lightning blue or Octane Blue Pearl Clearcoat as the paint code says).

Thanks for any help!

Dan
Merlinised

adamhumphrey
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Re: Touch up paint

Postby adamhumphrey » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:49 pm

Best off grabbing one from the dealer they charged me around $17
MY11 Evo X MR (2011-Current)
MY20 Asx GSR (2023-Current)

MY11 Peugoet 207 XT HDi (2020-Mar 2023)
MY09 Lancer Sportback VRX (2015-2019) - Sold Nov 2019
Owner Operator: - Adam's Attention to Detail. Mobile Detailing and Automotive Installations.
https://www.facebook.com/AdamsAttentionToDetail/

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:52 pm

Most paint shops (including SCA) can mix up paint to match your color, I know they do spray but I'm sure they can do a tiny tin, might be worth checking the prices.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Dannn
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dannn » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:13 pm

adamhumphrey wrote:Best off grabbing one from the dealer they charged me around $17

How long ago was this?
Merlinised

adamhumphrey
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby adamhumphrey » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:15 am

A year or so. Im going back down there in a week or so to get some more so Ill report back if its changed heaps

Owner Operator: - Adam's Attention to Detail. Mobile Detailing and Automotive Installations.

adamhumphrey
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby adamhumphrey » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:21 am

I just checked the invoice for Wicked White part number mz103094ex $12.00 I thought it was a year ago it was 2013, Metallic paint is probably little more. I went to Auto One before I got the genuine one and it was a totally wrong colour when they mixed it it was not even close to white it was white with blue tinge so beware if you get it from Super Cheap or places like that.

Dannn
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dannn » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:18 am

adamhumphrey wrote:I just checked the invoice for Wicked White part number mz103094ex $12.00 I thought it was a year ago it was 2013, Metallic paint is probably little more. I went to Auto One before I got the genuine one and it was a totally wrong colour when they mixed it it was not even close to white it was white with blue tinge so beware if you get it from Super Cheap or places like that.

Thanks. Good to know. I will be buying from the dealership. I don't want a mix and match from supershit auto.
Merlinised

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:26 am

Suggest local panel beater price? Does price really matter within reason, Quality of match is what matters, try it before payment.
Must add got a spray can, electronically matched to my car, awhile back from Autobahn that was spot on.

Dannn
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Dannn » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:07 pm

sarusa wrote:Suggest local panel beater price? Does price really matter within reason, Quality of match is what matters, try it before payment.
Must add got a spray can, electronically matched to my car, awhile back from Autobahn that was spot on.

How do you go using a spray can? Was it for a small piece or a rock dint?
Merlinised

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:25 pm

Pretty good price but that do you get for your money, spray or a tiny tin?

I've used a paint shop in Currimundi, cost was about $30 for a spray can and it matched my old Lancer perfectly when I fitted electric mirrors and wanted then color coded. Not tried SCA but have no reason to think they wouldn't be able to match any color, they would get plenty of complaints if they didn't. Might use them as I have a few things I'd like to paint soon.

As for fixing small damage now that's hard, lots of prep and depending on the job will determine if its spray or brush. I might need my front bar resprayed but still debating if I'll do that or use some wrap or platic-dip? If I do get it resprayed its off to the panel shop for me.

CJsportback
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby CJsportback » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:05 pm

When people purchased touch up paint from us it was supplied in a nail polish bottle. Not much paint for your money but more than enough to do the job.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:09 am

Dannn wrote:
sarusa wrote:Suggest local panel beater price? Does price really matter within reason, Quality of match is what matters, try it before payment.

How do you go using a spray can? Was it for a small piece or a rock dint?

For small areas like a dint or scratch, get a small container, the can cap will do. Shake well and spray some paint into container and apply to car with a small suitable brush. For larger areas shake can well and go for it, after preparation, undercoat as necessary and masking as necessary.
If needed, finish with a gloss clear cote. If you don't know what your doing, be very careful because an error can mean even more trouble. Using a spray on part of a panel is difficult and has to be blended in, and over spray can affect surrounding area. Masking off a section of a panel will leave an undesirable ridge.

Most cars today are painted with a two pack paint whereas auto spray cans are generally acrylic which is not totally compatible but I have had reasonable results using spray can of adhesive undercote made for the plastic parts of our cars. Don't bother with this step on small scratches and dint's touched up with a brush.

bookwork4000
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby bookwork4000 » Thu May 11, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi,

No idea if this is the right place to ask but I can't find the information anywhere.

I'm looking for the Paint Code for the Mitsubishi Lancer VRX Grey/gunmetal Wheels/Rims. I got these second hand so no idea what car they came from. I have a few scratches I'd like to touch up so need someone.

I've put them on my black CJ lancer 2010.

If I can't find it, can someone recommend a place who will match the paint and provide a small bottle of touch up paint in Victoria, Melbourne.

:D

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:21 pm

Not sure if this is the right place but how much Plasti-Dip I'd need to paint VRX front bar 'pods' and side skirts?

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Thu May 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:Not sure if this is the right place but how much Plasti-Dip I'd need to paint VRX front bar 'pods' and side skirts?

To do it properly, 4 cans. Basically a can a wheel or there abouts.

A friend of mine did it with hers and used a can of dip on each wheel to make sure it was done properly and was thick enough.
Daily: My14 Lancer LX
Weekender: 2009 MY09 Ralliart Hatch

My Mod Thread: viewtopic.php?p=324612#324612
Instagram: http://instagram.com/mitsii_lx

Return to “Exterior”