***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Dual Exhaust Bumper

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Swerve
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Dual Exhaust Bumper

Postby Swerve » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:59 pm

Just got the Mars Performance Dual Exhaust Rear Bumper paint and fitted to my car, if anyone is thinking about purchasing it and wants to see how it looks.

It makes the car look a lot fiercer, the product doesn't feel cheap and fits very flush around the join lines. However it's a bit of a pain as it doesn't fit with the stock exhaust on. Had to grind the exhaust all the way back flush with the resonator and even then the plastic of the bumper was about an inch away. The bumper fits but will get melted by the exhaust. To fix this I just took it off and put the stock bumper on.

Now I'll have to get an exhaust shop to install the dual exhaust system but I can't drive the car with the aftermarket rear bumper on. I'll either have to drive it there and if they allow me once it's on the hoist I'll do a quick bumper swap or I'll have to measure the aftermarket bumper and mark on the stock bumper where they are.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:48 pm

Good work.
So how does it feel against the stock bumper? One of the first things I noticed when I got my CJ is just how flimsy the bumper feels, you can easily push it in on the side, same goes for the front and even the mirrors feel light weight compared to my older CC coupe and it's plastic bits.

Where is the resonator?
Photos please if you can, visual aids help.

May I suggest going to the exhaust shop, tell them your plan and they might alter it with the tip hidden under the back and the resonator away from the plastic. Then fit the bumper and go be to have them fit/make the new exhaust system.

Or option 2 is if you have someone who can deliver the new bumper to the exhaust shop, as I know they won't fit in the back. And then get them to remove the old system, see if you can fit the new bumper and then they can do the work fitting the new exhaust system.

Can I ask what you paid to get the new bumper and then have it painted?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Swerve
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Swerve » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:41 pm

The rear bumper is only held on by 4 bolts and 6 plastic clips. So there isn't much structural support fixing it to the chassis. I'd say ot s pretty much same as the stock bumper if you push it in the right spots it'll flex.

The resonator if you look under the car is the oval cylinder ttoe thing. I'll try get photos later. So follow your tip back to the oval metal cylinder and that's pretty much where it's cut.

Yes my options are:

Option A: Bring the new bumper in and fit it in the exhaust shop once the cars on the hoist as the car can't be running with the new bumper on.

Option B: See if they can fit a temporary pipe system that'll just direct hot exhaust fumes away from the rear bumper that way I can drive with the new bumper and then get a proper system fitted

Option C: Cut the exhaust back even further probably halfway down the car so that way I can drive with the new bumper on. Obviously I'll consult with the muffler guys. This means I'll be driving around without a resonator.

Option D: I might just have to mark/draw on the stock bumper where the cutouts are for the new bumper and hope that they're correct.

Mainly want to do it ASAP so the new bumper isn't sitting around outside too long, so I'm not driving around with a grinded exhaust and also before the Christmas break.

The whole job cost me $950 but that was to get a spoiler and rear bumper painted in two colours + fitted. I'm pretty sure it's roughly $600 painted and fitted. But honestly not worth getting it fitted I thought it'd be more difficult then it was. My mates and I swapped the bumpers in less then 10 minutes.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:29 pm

I know what the resonator is, got my muffler chopped off and a resonator in it's place but it's in the center so different to newer models.

When they were doing it the guy ran my car with nothing after the big center resonator, sounded pretty good, not too loud so that's another option. Just don't rev it too much or you might attract the wrong attention.

Still think the best option is if you can get the new bumper to the shop as swap it over while they do the other work, then you just need someone to brink the old bumper back.

Some bumpers are made better than others and need a little work to fit 100% strait, good to see you got one that fits fine.

I need to save up to do this work on my VRX.

Swerve
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Swerve » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:37 pm

Spoke to the muffler shop and they reckon to bring the car in and they'll swap the bumper over in the shop

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:32 pm

This is my system, so when it comes time to do this work I'll get them to chop it off and put a temp tip bent down well clear of the bumper.

Damir
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Damir » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:27 am

You can just unbolt the axleback and drive sounding like a fartbox till you get the new exhaust made up

Im going to assume the exhaust shop will charge to fit it to your car

I had a similar situation with mine when I went to fit the ralliart rear but my exhaust was one whole piece so I couldnt unbolt it and I just drove to the exhaust shop with no rear bar and fitted it when I got there

But I advise to just go there with your axleback bolted off
My Build Thread : http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=14731
ROTM Winner OCTOBER 2015 (Nominated for favourite CJ)
-Australia's first airbagged CJ-

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:35 am

I agree unbolt the axleback is the easy solution, fit the bumper then go get the new exhaust. But on mine the previous owner was cheap and they cut the pipe just in front of that join, was debating to get them to fit a new join but decided to put it off until I get a twin pipe. If I buy a bolt on one they can bridge the gap and fit a flange at that time.

Swerve
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Swerve » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:21 am

Anyone got a photo of where exactly to unbolt it or can I just follow the exhaust back until I find some bolts assuming it's not one whole piece (2014 Lancer I'd anyone knows. Also dunno how trusting I'd be lying down under the car while it's jacked up. If I can cut/unbolt it far enough back then I'll be able to drive with the new bumper on

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:54 am

There should be a join at your back wheels, it's after the cat and resonators but before the muffler. If my CJ is a guide the car shouldn't be much louder unless you rev it hard.

Swerve
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Swerve » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:03 am

Cheers mate, I'll have a look after work. Is your exhaust removed at the moment? Do you think there will be any issue with driving with the exhaust removed that far back like melting anything under the car. Because that would solve a lot of my issues then I could drive around with the new bumper on.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:36 am

I wouldn't go for a long drive, as you could get a defect if pulled over. My main concern would be gases leaking into the car, but it shouldn't have any affect for a short trip and modern cars are pretty well sealed unless you have a rusty floor. Best bet is book the car in for the new exhaust, then take off the old axleback. Fit your new bumper and go strait to them to fit the new axleback.

Swerve
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Swerve » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:27 pm

Yeah I'll have a look at how difficult it is to take it off, I'd do it right before I had to go the exhaust shop. If gases are a problem ill just drive with all the Windows down. Can't book the car in for an exhaust until they look at it.

Return to “Exterior”