***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Paint problems - supercheap=bad

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

troyc4
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Paint problems - supercheap=bad

Postby troyc4 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:03 pm

My mate thought it would be a good idea to cover a few scratches up with some left over paint he had (I later found out was from supercheap :!: ).. He's gone and painted without any knowledge or prep and it's basically fooked my whole car lol.. any ideas?

Was thinking possibly a decent polish/buff could bring it back to the former paint after a while?

Thanks in advance guys :D

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:19 pm

What paint was it? and was it your car?

Just because it's SCA doesn't mean it's bad, was it the premixed selections on the shelf or something made up specifically with the right paint code?

Only ask as I may be getting some to fix a few bits on my old car, not the CJ but I do want to repaint the mirrors.

As for fixing, depends on the damage, photos?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

artoawesome
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby artoawesome » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:28 am

I've done some touch ups on my white cj 2013 lancer - and the supacheap ones mixed with the paint code aren't too bad. Of course you do mention the fact that no prep work and proper treatment occurred so no wonder I guess!

From experience with mine - if the primer hadn't been done correctly you might find that washing the car and then using the flat jet of a hose setting to catch the edge of the paint work he's done could actually get under there and strip away the paint really quite easily ;)

Anhevius
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Anhevius » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:04 pm

This is why I make sure everyone I know is quite clear on the rule of 'Don't even think of doing shite to my car'.

Did you have any luck getting the paint off? I know I usually get a rag with some mineral spirits, gently wipe the freshly painted area, then hose down IMMEDIATELY. That can take off freshly applied paint, especially if it wasn't primed. (By freshly painted, I mean within the last 24-48 hours, sooner is better though)

If you let the paint cure and the thinner evaporate out, there's a good chance it can and will bond to the original paint on your car.

Though, that's all for typical paints. If it's aerosol paint, then your cure time tends to be a LOT faster, and you'll see bonding as fast as thirty minutes depending on the solvents they use in the paint.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:28 am

Just about every modern car has been painted with a low bake (40 degrees centigrade or over) can be used at normal room temp but takes longer to dry and more susceptible to picking up dust blemishes two part paint, bottom cotes flat, top cotes full gloss.

Car touch up spray can paints usually acrylic lacquer aren't entirely compatible but can work with careful preparation. first and foremost make sure you get rid of any wax or polish and have a clean surface.

My own results have generally been OK. Haven't tried anything really big! :roll:

Return to “Exterior”