***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Bonnet Gas Struts

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Bonnet Gas Struts

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:56 pm

Okay not sure if this has been cover on other threads.

What to get some bonnet gas struts for my VRX, tried SCA but nothing listed on their system.

eBay has a few listings at $80 and $99.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301346961531 ... EBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131207840767 ... EBIDX%3AIT

The cheaper one is from the US while the $99 is from Brisbane.

I have no problem getting the $99 one but my question is which way up do they need to be mounted?

The $99 has the bigger end at the bottom, the US one has it at the top. Not sure if it matters? The ones on my CC coupe (from a M21) have the big end at the top or higher end.

Has anyone fitted these, apparently they bolt on in minutes I know the ones I got for the coupe when one quickly.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

JaZira5
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby JaZira5 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:18 am

Hey Craig, I bought the $99 from Brisbane. When installing them have a friend there to hold it as you will need to remove the bolts holding the bonnet to the hinge to install the bracket for the struts (that is if they haven't changed their design).

The picture they have on eBay is wrong, its the other way around. Follow how the US struts link look like. So that when you open the bonnet it will push itself up, instead of pushing itself down.

And yes installation is only a few minutes. Very easy to do, but easier with another pair of hands holding the bonnet, while you do one side at a time. :D

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:30 pm

Yeah I've installed similar ones on my CC coupe, they were designed for the Proton M21 coupe so bolted strait on. Hardest part was undoing 1 of the hinge bolts and it does help to have a friend to hold things up.

I guess whom ever installed the Brisbane ones just put them on the wrong way around.

The ones from over seas are probably exactly the same.

Annoyingly the Brisbane one is just a few streets away from the place I got my weather shields a few weeks ago but they have free delivery. Just need them to re-list them as the auction ended this morning.

I don't know what Mitsubishi were thinking not making them stock, at least on all but the base model CJ, its not like the cost a fortune for them to fit.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:51 am

Found out the Brisbane place won't have anymore until May... but I can wait. Unless I get the over seams one at a slightly lower price. Its probably the same one as the local one?

JaZira5
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby JaZira5 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:49 am

eBay after conversion shows that it will cost you around $83AUD for the overseas one. Completely up to you, either case you will get one in May. The overseas one if you get it now may arrive by the end of April depending on which shipping type is used. I say if you're willing to wait, wait. If not you will still have to wait due to shipping. :P

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:54 am

Yeah I missed the last one the Brisbane place had by a couple of hours.

I can wait.

That said I wish they had more options for color, seen some in a carbon look.

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:33 am

Just remember the Evo ones may not hold the heavier CJ bonnet up as high

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:12 pm

Good point, I did read they are not suitable for non metal bonnets but how much lighter are the EVO ones?

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:53 pm

Evo bonnets are probably half the weight of a steel one. Struts for a Evo bonnet definately aren't up to holding up a steel one. If you use struts for a steel bonnet on an Evo bonnet the bonnet flexes if you try to close it. So make sure you get the correct set :)
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:26 pm

So I guess the Brissy ones are ok for a stock CJ bonnet found of the NA cars?

anghel132
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby anghel132 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:12 am

I'd wait a few months for the Brisbane one. I live around the corner from Paul's shop, if you want me to pick them up and test them for you? I had some issues with mine feeling like they were grinding when I first got them. He replaced them no questions asked. Local always gives better piece of mind imho

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:10 pm

Normally I'd go get them, went to a near by place in Coopers Plains to get my weather shields but in this case they have free delivery so I'll wait. Wish I could order them now and they could contact me when they come in.

I asked them and they said for the normal bonnet they are fine, but the lighter ones just new one strut.

Annoyingly the ones I got for the CC coupe are cheaper even though they are from some place in Asia. When I first put them on they made a funny grinding sound but that went with time and are still working good...

Also they came in yellow. LOL

Bwar
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Bwar » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:07 am

I went with RPW's. They work great.

Also, their website is clunky as hell so if you like the look of them, bookmark the page. Much easier than navigating back there.[/url]

Return to “Exterior”