***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Clear Coat Restoration - Any one had this done to their cars

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Latino_Ralliart
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Clear Coat Restoration - Any one had this done to their cars

Postby Latino_Ralliart » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:43 am

Hey Guys,

Has anyone had something like this done. I have a black ralliart with some swirls and superficial scratches which I would be keen on fixing up. Wondering if this actually is good... Seems to good to be true.

I'm already going to get a scrape on my front bumper and a chip on my door fixed... So I was wondering if this would work also.

http://www.touchupguys.com.au/mobile_ex ... ailing.php

r00tc4u53
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby r00tc4u53 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:27 am

Check that what they do is proper correction, don't want them to just "fill" the imperfections and have them come back again once the filler\wax or whatever they use washes off. Look at my thread http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=17242 Mine was brand new and covered in swirls and marks and what not, full 2 stage correction done and 99.8% perfect now, and coated in opticoat for a bit more protection.

As always, you get what you pay for, I took the road that it's worth doing right once.

Latino_Ralliart
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Latino_Ralliart » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:37 am

Thanks :) This Opticoat stuff doesn't seem cheap.. But I agree get it right once.

Just need to find a reputable place in Sydney who offers this and then work out how much!!

How is the opticoat holding up after applying it.

r00tc4u53
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby r00tc4u53 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:41 pm

Mine is good, just give it a quick wash and comes up like it's been waxed all that every time. Bugs and other crap just hose off mostly before washing. I got a lifetime warranty on it as it was a new car so can't complain. Just don't have to spend hours cleaning the car anymore, just that's the best part for me.

rustybucket
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby rustybucket » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:02 pm

If you would like to learn to do it yourself or have an expert do it for you have a look here https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/

They have a Sydney workshop too.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:13 am

I really wanted a white VRX but ended up with a black one, really need to get something done like this to restore the black paint. That aside I've been considering plasti-dip or wrap to give the car a new look and help protect the original paint.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

alex8337
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby alex8337 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:09 am

I've restored my black lancer.
It'll take about two days, you cannot drive the car once you start and you'll need a garage.

What you'll need to do:
1/ Wash the car thoroughly with a soft liquid that doesn't contain wax.
2/ Wash it again because you probably missed spots.
3/ Shammy dry the car.
4/ Go over the entire car once or twice with a clay bar and clay bar spray.
5/ Microfibre cloth dry the car.
OPTIONAL EXTRA: You can lightly rub out deep scratches with extremely fine wet and dry sandpaper to just take the top of the clear coat off, this will remove deep scratches and create a white swirl which is then filled in when you use the rubbing compound and polishing compound.
6/ Random orbital sander + sponge applicator pad the car with a light rubbing compound, I used the Meguiar's one, be careful not to apply too much force or focus on the same spot for too long as you can smear the clearcoat or rub right through to the paint.
7/ Microfibre cloth dry the car.
8/ Random orbital sander + sponge applicator pad the car with a polishing compound, I used the Meguiar's one, be careful not to have the speed up too high but you can apply more force and focus on spots more but still be careful.
9/ Microfibre cloth dry the car.
10/ Wax the car.
11/ Microfibre cloth dry the car.
12/ Wax the car again.
13/ Microfibre cloth dry the car.
14/ Crack a beer because you'll deserve one after that.

trevordd
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby trevordd » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:42 pm

Hi there! Yeah, you can really do it on your own. I made such works for my car thanks to colourshield. It helped a lot to restore and protect my car finish. It is not difficult at all.

Return to “Exterior”