***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Experienced body kit owners, your advice would be wonderful!

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

lawrencepartington
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Experienced body kit owners, your advice would be wonderful!

Postby lawrencepartington » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:07 pm

Hey everyone,

So I'm looking at getting a body kit for my lancer, but i don't want an full evo body kit.

http://www.bodykits.com/AIT-Racing/Body-Kits/Mitsubishi-Lancer-AIT-Racing-C_Weapon-Style-Body-Kit-_-ML08HICWSCK/822139/
The above link is just a reference and an example for what I'm looking for.

1. What different types of materials can body kits come in, and which ones are more reliable?
3. Whats going to be the difference between getting a good deal or just a cheap body kit?
2. How much am i looking at for installation?

If anyone else has purchased a body kit i'd love to hear what it is, what it costs and how you installed at. I'd just like to know as i am a student i will need to set goals in saving enough money.

Thanks!

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Metalstrix » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:18 pm

1. What different types of materials can body kits come in, and which ones are more reliable?

I apologise if I didn't answer the question but:
PU = It's bendable and flexible (I think)
PP Plastic = Plastic that will bend / crack depending on impact.
Carbon Fibre = Is illegal and won't help your insurance claim is there's an accident.

2. Whats going to be the difference between getting a good deal or just a cheap body kit?

Cheap = Bad fitment.
Deal = Probably same result depending on who is supplying it.

3. How much am i looking at for installation?
For just a front bumper it's $150. excluding painting. You're probably looking the same for the other pieces. You can install the pieces on your own for free. But you'll have to get them painted.

Please note that OEM evolution pieces are bigger than Ralliarts and lower.
They will learn... I will always be a step ahead

No longer an active member.

D
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby D » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:42 pm

Pretty much as tommo said,
Anything that is not oem is never going to have 100% fitment, (excluding some)
As an example everything you buy should be stamped some where what it is made for
PP is flexable and is foldable and will return to shape pretty easily with some heat etc
^ that bar is actually a varis style bar I bought for my EVO that is actually made to fit NA/ralliart.
So be warn with parts you get what you pay for, there is a reason why some things are cheaper then others, wether it is quality/long geverty, or fitment some times it is worth saving and waiting in turn paying more to get it right the first time, trial and error is an expensive game to play but then again there is always an exception to the law
My EVO (X MR) progress: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?p=328713#328713
4 cylinders, 3 diamonds, 2 litre, 1 turbo, 0 reasons to buy anything else
ROTM WINNER SEPT 2014

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:57 pm

Ok, if you're a student, it's probably not a bad idea to try a bit of DIY...

You've already got rear spoiler, just add side-skirts and the VRX front 'pods'.

If you start with the front 'pods', they're small enough to handle easily, and with a little care and patience you can paint them yourself fairly inexpensively - the pods are a one-man job, so if you stuff up, no-one needs to know! :-)

The side skirts will need a friend to help you put them on, but in both cases, pre-fit them before you paint - makes everything happen a lot more smoothly.

You can 'dress up' the front-end with chrome ring if you like - easy mod and very cheap & effective....

There's plenty of 'How-To's' on the site, and feel free to ask questions... :-D
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

Return to “Exterior”