***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Installing factory reverse sensors

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

jolly_tas
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Installing factory reverse sensors

Postby jolly_tas » Sun May 10, 2009 2:16 pm

Just wondering if anyone has installed reversing sensors themselves and what is involved in doing it. thanks in advance.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun May 10, 2009 4:08 pm

I haven't myself, but I know it can sometimes be a bitch. I would recommend the genuine ones, as they should come colour-coded and they would come with vehicle-specific instructions, not universal instructions. IIRC the genuine ones also include a drilling template so you shouldn't go wrong getting the holes lined up.

Price up from your dealer supply and fit as well as supply only pricing. If there is not much difference ($100 say) then I'd just get the dealer to do it. Easier and if they stuff it up, it's up to them to fix it.

OR if you don't have your car yet, try to get them thrown in as part of the deal. Failing that get it installed at delivery and it is covered by the full 5 year Mitsubishi warranty rather than just the 12 month warranty.

Hope that helps.

jolly_tas
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby jolly_tas » Sun May 10, 2009 5:00 pm

Thaks for that. Already have the car and have found some factory ones - they just need painting to match the colour. Will give the local Mitsubishi dealer a call and see how much they would charge.

spareparts
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby spareparts » Sun May 10, 2009 5:04 pm

it depends on if it is a hatch or sedan.... im guessing you have the mmcs... the kit will come with instructions but eather way the head unit will need to be taken out the plug it in to the back, and a small harness will need to run to the back in to the boot / hatch. If you are mechanical minded you will find it easy but if you not the best on the tools you might strugle a lil... you will find most dealer ships charges about $100 a hour. and mits says about 2 hrs fitting
the voices may not be real, but they have some pretty good ideas :D:D
..... If streets could talk they would Beg For Mercy!!! 151.6kw & 330nm @ all 4 paws .....

billyboy
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby billyboy » Sun May 10, 2009 5:31 pm

I've done it myself, but I have some electrical know how.

Bought aftermarket kit for $80, went to auto paint store & $25 got my colour code in spray pak, sprayed 2-3 light coats followed by a clearcoat.

Marking out drill holes took forever cause wanted to get it 100% spot on. Tapped power off my reverse light.

My kit came with speaker that I installed under the seat & LED display panel which I mounted on my rear vew mirror.

Took me most part of 3 days. There are some how to guides if you google it, but if not confident seek a professional for sure.

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Sun May 10, 2009 6:39 pm

The problem with teh factory ones is that they dont look that great, sticks out a bit.
>CLICK HERE to view My 08 Lancer in all its Glory!
"Its STILL happy go fun fun time!"

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun May 10, 2009 6:52 pm

The neatest fitting sensors I've ever seen are on my mate's Volvo C30 T5. They are factory fitted as standard (not dealer fitted) and they are competely flush, except for a small circular indent around them. Pic:

jolly_tas
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby jolly_tas » Wed May 13, 2009 8:14 am

thanks for the advice guys. The price of the sensors is going up as we speak and I contacted the dealer and looking at round $180 for fitting. Also found this on ebay -

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/INVISIBLE-REVERS ... dZViewItem

The bonus is that it's invisible. Has anyone ever heard of this before? For the price it may be worth trying it. Cant really go wrong for $30.

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Wed May 13, 2009 8:31 am

I guess for $30, it wont be the end of the world if it doesnt work that well. I would be a bit skeptical of a product that is so cheap to be honest! And I am also skeptical of its effectiveness behind the bumper bar. If it were good, wouldn't presitge car makers like Volvo etc etc use it so as not to spoil the look of their vehicles?? And how does it work for the corners of the car which are more likely to be struck than directly in the middle of the rear? All sensor systems that are installed by car manufacturers have sensors near the corners of the bumper.

But for $30 and some fiddling - why the hell not.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

LAP_DANCER
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby LAP_DANCER » Wed May 13, 2009 10:54 am

Heard that if you get the rear lip from the factory they dont fit for some benign reason wonder why?
It's not how you Stand By your Car, Its how you race your car, you betta learn that,

Lap Dance is my metaphor, the way i drive "all of the boys and all of the girl are beggin to if you seek amy" LOL yeah ino ima tool

deeps
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby deeps » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:03 am

jolly_tas wrote:thanks for the advice guys. The price of the sensors is going up as we speak and I contacted the dealer and looking at round $180 for fitting. Also found this on ebay -

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/INVISIBLE-REVERS ... dZViewItem

The bonus is that it's invisible. Has anyone ever heard of this before? For the price it may be worth trying it. Cant really go wrong for $30.

I purchased two, and installed it in one car, and I didn't like it at all. I have one more sitting here, and if someone wants it, they can have it for the price of shipping (about 12-15 bucks)

I don't like it, I wouldn't recommend it, but it seems vehicle dependant too. The mazda 6 i tried it on has a rear metal bar that 'interferes' apparently.

Aspired
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Aspired » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:07 pm

How do the factory ones work ?
I mean do they just beep faster as you get closer to an object, or is there a distance to object displayed on the MMCS display ?

Return to “Exterior”