***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Removeable Roof Racks to add Bike Carrier on Ralliart

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Latino_Ralliart
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Removeable Roof Racks to add Bike Carrier on Ralliart

Postby Latino_Ralliart » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:45 am

Hey Guys,

I'm a keen cyclist and transporting the bike in my car is a hassle. Not a huge fan of the looks of roof racks on my ralliart. But anyone know if they have special removeable roof racks which I can add and remove when I want to take my bike with me somewhere?

Cheers

Latino_Ralliart
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Latino_Ralliart » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:24 am

So does anyone run roof racks on their sporty CJ's? If so do you keep them on or use them when needed?

chunky9
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby chunky9 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:39 am

Hey man, im confused but arent all roof racks removable? lol
I have some thule racks with 2 bike racks on mine (only one is pictured). I have an NA lancer so it doesnt come with the actual gutter mounting points. I think the ralliart has them? Im not sure.
I usually take them off when i dont need them, but sometimes i just cant be bothered. I quite like the look :)

Latino_Ralliart
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Latino_Ralliart » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:15 am

Haha should of made it clearer. How easily removeable are roof racks?

I will just be putting them on when I need to take my bike somewhere.

chunky9
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby chunky9 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:18 am

Yeah it should be no problem. Takes only about 5 minutes to put them on and take them off. Just need to unlock them if you have locks, and then unscrew them.

Latino_Ralliart
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Latino_Ralliart » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:19 am

Sweet :) Cause I got fed up having to put the bike in the car.

Tac89
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Tac89 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:17 pm

Oh awesome. I was thinking about roof racks a while ago. Don't really want a tow bar to carry the bikes around. But I heard the racks damage the the roof, have you had any problems with that? And how much did they set you back roughly? I can fit my bike in the boot but I can't transport the missus bike around then.

chunky9
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby chunky9 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:26 pm

If you have the correct mounting feet, they shouldn't cause any damage. I saw some guy in the US put clear vinyl down where the feet touch the roof just incase. I did the same but it looks pretty crap when youre up close lol so i peeled it off.
Brand new the racks will set you back around 300 with all the correct hardware. bike carriers will be about 150-200 on top for each one.
I picked mine up for pretty cheap off gumtree but they were for a subaru liberty, so i just had to order the correct feet for the lancer which was only about $60 and all is good :) So you might want to check gumtree etc if you dont want to go brand new

Tac89
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Tac89 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:37 pm

Ok cheers man. I'll have a look. Didn't realize you could buy different feet for them.

Latino_Ralliart
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Latino_Ralliart » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:29 pm

Yeah same didn't know about the different feet :)

I was thinking getting the tow bar bike rack but then was told that is a bad option for a Carbon Bike. So have no choice but to go roof rack option

Brimbla
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Brimbla » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:19 pm

I need to get this style of roof rack at some stage. Looks good.

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:20 pm

The Pro Rack Whispbar is one of the best you can buy. There is clear film underneath the clips so as to prevent damage to the paintwork. When I carried one of those roof pods, there was virtually no wind gush. The racks themselves are designed with aerodynamics in mind. You will need additional adaptors for the bike, though.

As for putting them on or removing them, I'm not sure if it can be done in five minutes, but it would help if you remember the mounting points, and once the racks are fully assembled, it should be quicker to mount.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

evil.ralliart
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby evil.ralliart » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:12 pm

There is a Bike Rack system that is designed for Sport/Hatchbacks,wagons etc... I think Thule originally made them but have seen some other brands out there.
They take about 5mins to put on and they lean against the back window (foam Feet) and clip under the hatch somehow. I cant remember the actual mounting procedure. Im pretty sure you can still open the hatch as well making sure that it clears everything....obviously not with the bike still on them.
I used to run into the Thule Rep when i was on the road and he showed me one when they first realesed them. Been thinking about it for my sons bike actually. Theres a few around and you dont have to worry about height clearence as well.
Here's a link i found for one style of them. They would all have different mounting engineering etc... just have to find the best one.
A lot easier than roofracks and you dont have to leave it on.
http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/3007139 ... eItemTypes

Twellsy
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Twellsy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:41 am

I'm using the Thule racks aswell same ones as chunky9 , they have a lock for the cover and underneath the cover they have the built in alan key ( quick and easy to remove / put back )
When I bought mine the guy said something about RA's have a lighter / thinner roof so less weight can go on the racks ( don't no if this is true or if he was spinning bull shit ) didn't matter to me as mine was a NA lancer
ID: 2281

Return to “Exterior”