***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

VRX CJ 2008 Front Bumper after accident

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Mecanico
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

VRX CJ 2008 Front Bumper after accident

Postby Mecanico » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:38 am

Anyone knows a real good and reliable smash repair in the Sydney area that really knows VRX????? Why, please see below:

Had the misfortune to be hit on the front side (hit on the right by reversing car). That left the VRX bumper with a crack and shifted downwards. A big gap was all around the light. The left side was ok.
NRMA took me to a preferred repairer and when I picked the car this morning the same gap, exactly as it was after the accident was still there........ the guy insisted so I took the car to Mitsubishi and they said it was rubbish. On my way back to the repairer part of it came off, on the side.
He now says he will fix it but needs to talk to Mitsubishi. So gives me the impression he does not know what to do.
I am not a mechanic but if you try to fix a brand new original bumper in precisely the same holes with the bolts, as original..........shouldn't you check the place of those metal plates/chassis that might become bent with the impact in the first place ?
He should know that ?

At the moment I am ultra p......... of big time ! :evil:

Any ideas ?

empror
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby empror » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:10 pm

ahhh. that may explain the gap under my headlights... although i would think the panel shop i got to place it back on would have picked up on that -.-

Kyrus
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Kyrus » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:13 pm

sorry about your unfortunate experience man, and this go to you and anyone, if you come across an experience like this. dont just vent. at least name the shop so others can avoid.
燒

Mecanico
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mecanico » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:48 pm

Thanks, guy. The name of the shop is G&S Prestige Panel Beaters in Kirrawee.

In July, NRMA put them as preferred. NRMA is closed till Monday but they will hear my Italian blood on Monday. I assure you this !

At the moment they took it back and promised to do something about it.
They said need to talk to Mitsubishi................looks like they do not know what they are doing.

I have high quality photos taken in July this year (accident happened in early September) from front and car was perfect.

I am counting that NRMA is quite good with ethics otherwise looks like I will be doing something drastic. Lawyers, I mean.

Sorry, I am not in my best mood.

Mecanico
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mecanico » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:51 pm

Hoges wrote:There is a gap under one of my lights bigger than the other. Behind the bumper there is a tab on each side that are a little tricky to get in and unless u know they are there it is easy to miss when putting the bumper back on. U can see them if u look through the fog light holes. Not saying that its the problem but could be causing it
Hoges wrote:There is a gap under one of my lights bigger than the other. Behind the bumper there is a tab on each side that are a little tricky to get in and unless u know they are there it is easy to miss when putting the bumper back on. U can see them if u look through the fog light holes. Not saying that its the problem but could be causing it

Thanks ! I have the factory manual that I took from one of the links in here and can see lots of parts. Either they missed something or something is bent and out of tolerance after the mechanical stress of the accident but they should know better..............

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Mecanico
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mecanico » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:12 am

Sebastian (SEB15), thanks :)

Seen the video an is very interesting. Lots of things to do but not something that you couldn't with patience.

What I am trying to understand and assess is that provided they did not missed anything when putting it back, then what could have been whacked or put after tolerances/alignments, somewhere, which causes that you put the bar back in the existing holes/moldings/brackets; and the right side is shifted downwards leaving a big gap under the front lights glass line and the left side is perfect.
So no matter how new is the bumper (I mean replaced with perfect new parts) if you are now fitting t back and one side is ok and the other is not, then something is bent somewhere.............but what ?

Mecanico
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mecanico » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:32 pm

EPILOG: The saga is over.

NRMA: is an insurance company with high ethics and customer service, at least compared with the others.

I rang them early this morning and upon presenting my case they sent an inspector within 2 hours.

The car has now been properly fixed and I have it back as it should be.

Return to “Exterior”