***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

$10-20 mudflaps

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

crudman
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

$10-20 mudflaps

Postby crudman » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:22 pm

when i was looking for mudflaps the only ones i found made for the cj was rally armour... buuuuuuuuuut they cost an arm and a leg for what they actually are. $200au delivered for their 'premium' ones and 100+ for their normal ones...

so i went to make my own n didn't drill any extra holes into the body.

FRONT:
the front ones were real mudguards i found collecting dust in the garage but most likely a generic worth about $10. the lined up almost perfectly.... seeing as how it was about a 6-7mm rubber i just made new holes...

used 2 prexisting screw/washer/polygon clip fasteners and used an aquired bolt/washer/nut in place of a plastic plug. (4 holes in the front wheelwell (+1 underneath) but only used/needed 3)

note: polygon clip(2 on each original mudguard) is required to screw into the sheet plastic/plastic body otherwise u have to use a bolt... no idea where to buy them so i used a bolt.

lopped off the rounded corners at a 45deg angle in a 1" sq measurement to give it an aftermarket feel and give it a similar look to evo 7-9 flaps.

the fronts being rubber means they will never crack but they may scrape on some annoying things like speedbumps.

REAR:
my rear ones cost about $15 worth of materials (flexible plastic (enough plastic for 4 guards), fasteners). shaped them with a hacksaw/sandpaper. they are roughly 15mm - 35mm in thickness (pattern on 1 side is raised)... offers some flexibility so it wont instantly crack if i hit a parking concrete block or the like...

there were 4 holes in total but 2 were underneath. used 2 pre-existing screw/waster/polygonclip and used an aquired L bracket + bolts/washers/nuts.

you need to use an underneath hole unless you have a really rigid piece of material since the only 2 holes are about 1.5cm apart laterally... as such it will flop sideways possible rubbing your wheel without the 3rd...

they are roughly 4 3/4" high off the ground

notes:

on my visit to the local autobarn (20mins away T_T ) they sold something similar to my fronts for $10 without screws although a lot thinner. gonna buy those if i ever need to replace as all they need is holes drilled into the flap and 1-2 extra fasteners of your choosing.

the decals make it look pretty rice atm but their adhesive is pretty junk... it stuck more to the application thing by static than to my guards. if 1 ever flys off ill take them all off. it prob won't fly off though unless it gets really dirty.

i considered ralliart decals (like evo7-9) but i only have 2 not 4 and 1 was poorly made/packaged so im not about to order more from the same guy.

for all intensive purposes it works as a real mudguard should... the lower side body is already heaps cleaner.

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:14 pm

Looks good man. Top stuff!!
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:49 am

I dig them too - I need to fashion some for mar car - it gets real dirty up the sides.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:48 pm

Thats really good been planning doing my own too.

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

crudman
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby crudman » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:18 pm

thx :P

for the rears i stuffed up 1 hole... so there was an extra hole... then i just changed the L-shape bracket to something of more quality than the makeshift one i was using before but it didn't align the same... so theres 2 extra holes but they can't be seen as they are far in and covered up by a 30mm wide washer designed for fastening in large holes :D

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:23 pm

As much as I need these because my 8" tyres kick up shit all along the side of my car...I want to keep the 'clean' look to it...

crudman
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby crudman » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:14 pm

Ryan_C wrote:As much as I need these because my 8" tyres kick up shit all along the side of my car...I want to keep the 'clean' look to it...

imo flaps don't really make it look too modified ( maybe mine do b/c of the decals but they don't have to be on there) since they come with guards anyway (that are pretty useless... i had the front ones on my es and that didn't stop much....)

n if ur worried about resale then you can easily remove and replace with the stocks. might even save you $ in restoration... alot of american owners complaining about 'easy paint chipping'... going as far as putting clear vinyl over where it kicks up to prevent chips n reccommending flaps asap... of course we don't have salt on our roads so thats a plus and where i live most of the roads are sealed so its mainly dirt that gets kicked up as opposed to rocks.

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Fri May 01, 2009 8:36 am

Crudman, can you give us some pics of the mud flaps from further away, so we can see what they make the look of the car be thanks.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

crudman
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby crudman » Fri May 01, 2009 5:09 pm

here u go

Mizta B
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mizta B » Fri May 01, 2009 10:56 pm

Not a bad job crudman
Lose the decals though they look too ricey
Well done on a handy DIY
Australasian Gerbil Rearers Organisation, Official Re-Seller.
MY09 Rally Red VRX ClubCJ's 1st 4B12 2.4L - CCJ Lifetime Member #0004.
Merlinised....

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Fri May 01, 2009 11:09 pm

They look good mate, but just wouldn't fit in with the look I'm trying to acheive which sucks seeing as our paint is soo shit. Only 17,000km and I already have heaps of chips. :?

Return to “Exterior”