***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

HELP!! SOMEONE THREW AN EGG AT MY CAR

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

bungfritz
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

HELP!! SOMEONE THREW AN EGG AT MY CAR

Postby bungfritz » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:05 am

Sorry about the caps lock guys, but i am totally devastated today as
someone had thrown an egg at my car! Car was parked in the sun, so it
had time to bake, but as soon as i saw it, i went to wash it off straight away.

Its hard to tell now that its darkish, but it is apparent that the egg has taken off a layer of clearcoat.

Just wondering what i should do now? Guess it won't buff out since its sorta taken a layer off my paint. Lucky i wax and polish my car as the damage would have probably been worse without any protectant on.

I am so sad now.....

scraverX
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby scraverX » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:14 am

Erk. Not nice. I had a similar thing happen with my old car, dead mouse got left/thrown on the boot lid and it both baked and rotted. The car was old and had significant paint fading on the upper panels from sitting in the sun for long periods so I wasn't too fussed but there was a nasty splotch.

About my only suggestion would be to take the car to a panel beater/paint shop and have them look at it. Might be all they need to do is take it back to colour and redo the clear, but that's just a guess on my part. They'd be able to tell you better.
"Max" 2009 MY10 RX, Black. CCJ Lifetime Premium Member #0125
Car & Home audio nut.
Car audio brands used: Audison, Eclipse, Hybrid Audio Technology, Precision Power, Polk Audio, Pioneer PRS
Home Audio: Denon, Epos, Pro`ject, AKG

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:50 am

A few people know my car got egged twice, literally one week after the other, and the second week included some superglue. The egg is ok, but having been left in the sun it has a similar effect to batshit I understand.
Yeah, just take it down to the shop, see what they say. Can't do any harm, thats for sure.

bungfritz
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby bungfritz » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:28 am

Sorry to hear Josh, i just get so angry with senseless acts of vandalism such as this. Don't think they'd be happy if they had a nice new car and it got egged on, but guess thats just the world we live in.

I have to go pick up my V-Lip which i got painted, so i'll see what the crash repairier says about my bumper. I guess i'm sorta lucky in the regard that the guys who did the driveby were crap throwers and hit the lower bottom rear bumper rather than say my bonnet.

Argh can't believe i have to shell out money to fix something i didn't even do

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:40 am

Lol, both weeks involved full half-dozens of eggs lol, it was a targeted attack at my car for sure. I called the cops but never found out who did it.

The ironic thing is, if I had a 1985 Ford Laser like mum wanted me to get (first car etc) I wouldnt care most likely, I'd probably still HAVE the superglued Hungry Jacks cup on my roof (it'd be funny lol) but its a brand new car, and thats what majorly pissed me off.

mitsfan
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mitsfan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:08 am

I'm also sorry to hear about your egging incident bungfritz.

It seems like the more attractive and well kept a car is, the more of a magnet it is for people wanting to vandalise it and make the owner feel lowsy.

You probably have found other posts from CJ owners that have had their car keyed, panels pushed in, milk-shaked, etc. While I can't contribute any further than the others above about how to fix the baked egg damage, there are some other things we can do (even though we should not need to):

First we can identify where our CJs get attacked, so as to identify common hot spots of car vandalism. (E.g. From the posts on this forum and my own experience, Knox City shopping centre in Victoria is a place to be avoided.) Where was your car parked?

Sometimes the culprits can be identified from security camera footage. However, others have reported of the culprits refusing to pay after having been identified and action taken against them. So in practise its often more a matter of letting them know they can be identified, rather than actually obtaining restituition from them.

One strategy is not to keep the car so consistently gleeming, perhaps by not washing it quite so often, but still doing a proper job when cleaning and still using high quality paint products periodically (like you do anyway, which helps protect agains bird/bat poo, eggs to some extent, etc).

Another trick is to just wash the windows every second time when you would normally wash the whole car, as it makes the care seem very clean when your driving it - plus it takes only a fraction of the time to do.

Yes, we should not have to do any of this, but ...
Last edited by mitsfan on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidAnthony
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby DavidAnthony » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:19 pm

I would talk to a professional detailer, a panel beater will try and talk you into respraying it but unless you are down to the undercoat or metal you should be able to buff it out using professional detailing products.

There is a few detailing forums that will be able to help you out
i.e: http://www.detailparadise.com.au/index.php
RALLI//////ART

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:44 pm

iv actually had a light keying yer light i dunno why tho its like a very light wavy scratch on my rear door so either they sucked at it or they just half pulled out
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:57 pm

Might just be from some metal on a bag/handbag when people walk past in the parking lots.
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:18 pm

Has happened to a few of my friends, one was while driving!! That one smashed her back window though... One time, my friends car got egged and they knew who did it. It was the girlfriends brother and his friend that egged the car. After a broken arm and a couple of black eyes they never egged another car again...

Most of the time its teenagers who have nothing better to do and think it cool to do that to cars. Key them, steal the ariels, take off the number plates, let the tyres down, egg them, flour bomb them... You name it and they will do it.

Take it to panel beaters and they will sort it out.

bungfritz
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby bungfritz » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:39 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. Well i've spent the afternoon cutting and polising the area and i'm glad to say it seems as though the marks have come off. The egg must have just reacted or oxidised the topmost layer of the paint bar the point of impact where its left a spiderweb sorta imprint on the paint probably due to the combination of eggshell and egg yolk.

At the end of the day, even though its obvious, damaging other people's property, whether its egging your car or house, vandalising it is just not on. Being a perfectionist, things such as blemishes on the paintwork really do my head in. I've got some tiny ripples on my rear door from idiots who bang their doors into yours in the carpark and i'm planning to book a paintless dent repairer to get it fixed even though most people wouldn't even notice it.

Mitsfan, my car was dirrrty when it got attacked, had roadkill all over the front and 2 weeks of dusty desert northerly winds mixed in with scattered showers. Also my friend had parked his nice brand new black Audi A4 behind my car as well so i guess sometimes you just can't really do much to avoid things such as this from happening. Guess it was lucky his car wasn't egged as black would show blemishes more than my lighter coloured car.

scraverX
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby scraverX » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:47 pm

I hear you on the black. I clean dust off mine every few days. <.<

Car & Home audio nut.

Car audio brands used: Audison, Eclipse, Hybrid Audio Technology, Precision Power, Polk Audio, Pioneer PRS

08VET
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby 08VET » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:20 pm

Went into woolworths for 15 minutes to quickly buy something. Came back. Drove home and about 30 minutes later checked the car.

Two tyes slashed and unrepairable.

Quickly jacked one side up and replaced other wheel temporarily with spare one.

Advans come at $275 per tyre..... at Bob Janes anyway...

So stupid but it happens !

: )

scraverX
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby scraverX » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:09 pm

I wouldn't mind someone slashing my tyres... it'd be a pain but it'd also give me an excuse to change them. Factory Yoko's are noisy for a lot of people's taste. I don't mind but I noticed it on the Wakefield cruise/meet.

Car & Home audio nut.

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:18 pm

Can you claim from insurance for the damages (provided you are rating 1 for life)? I know my parents have claimed small accidents caused by themselves without any penalty (other than an accident report).
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

Return to “Exterior”