***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Tow Bar Setup Advice

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

d-Wizz
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Re: Tow Bar Setup Advice

Postby d-Wizz » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:57 am

I have a 2009 ES Lancer sedan. Just bought a towbar from wrecker which apparently came off the same car as mine. Part number of the towbar is MR936608. Wiring system was retained in place by the wrecker when removed from the original vehicle.

I assume that the brown plugs "splice in" to the similar brown plugs I found on the LHS back passenger side. The conundrum I have is how to get the wiring from those brown plugs (inside the chassis) to the tow bar outside. There's also a large white plug, a loose red wire and an earth which don't have any logical homes.

The installation instructions posted on this forum are for a hatchback not a sedan, but they did provide a clue on how to get the wiring through the chassis by drilling a 35mm hole using a template. Is this how it's done in the sedan and where would that hole be located? I suspect that the template supplied in the instructions are for a hatchback, as I can't see anywhere in my car with a shape like that.

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:19 pm

Take the trailer plug off then you only need to make a hole small enough for the cable and a sealing grommet.Make your hole in a convenient place.The large white plug fits into a small ECU which is probably still on the car at the wreckers. The loose red wire goes inside the car under the plastic trims in the floor and through a small hole in the left side of the firewall and up to the positive battery terminal connected to a10amp fuse holder. The earth wire will go onto a bolt somewhere in the LHR corner where your ECU will go. Make sure you get the ECU because nothing will work without it.Hooking the trailer cable into the car directly isn’t advisable as the wiring isn’t heavy enough to support extra electrical loads,hence the ECU
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:59 pm

Darryl I fitted a tow bar and just spliced into my wiring. I only used. Trailer with led lights and I no issues at all

Vmlinuz
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Vmlinuz » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:37 pm

Not related to the wiring portion of this but how do these mount to the car? I'm assuming they tie in where the sub-frame mounts onto the uni-body?

Someday I'd like a tow-bar but the previous surface rust on the sub-frame has me weary unless i replace it outright. The POR-15 rust remover/preventer job i did last summer(May) on both sub-frames is still holding up great at least but who knows how strong the underlying metal still is. Really don't want that to be a safety hazard.
Rally Red '09 GTS

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:21 pm

Yes they bolt onto the subframe. There are captive nuts fitted in the appropriate places.If there are any rust problems in that area then I wouldn’t be bolting anything in there.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR

"Don't back off until you hit something"

Return to “Exterior”