***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Rear Diffuser

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Re: Rear Diffuser

Postby sarusa » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:26 am

If tow bar doesn't need original bumper modification ie: something cut out, May be possible, as it sits low down on the bumper only covering very little.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:54 pm

Notice over the passed few years more and more attention is being paid to the rear of the car and its appearance from the back.
Fancy rear diffusers, exhaust surrounds some even fancy shaped, chrome surrounds etc:etc:

Could it be that with a more discerning buyer base. Makers realize the back end of every car is viewed from the rear and is likely to grab our attention and first impression, hundreds of times more then from any other angle. Yes as we drive along every day.
Gee that looks great what car is that?

Stuck the rear diffuser on my car for that reason! :D

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:42 pm

I'll have to consider something like this, way cheaper than a EVO look replacement bumper!
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:02 am

Fitting a rear diffuser. In my case a Talon rear diffuser. Realizing that most I could find in our forums an elsewhere.
including their add: was crooked, low on the left side, decided to overcome that problem. What I did,was, lifted the car high enough to get under it lying down to fit it.

Pushed it up in position and held it in position firmly, with two car jacks ( that's all I had) placed under the diffuser.
Make sure you position it exactly as it should be, properly centered and exhaust correctly positioned.
I then screwed the two extended sides in ,two screws each side. Then screwed the screws across the diffuser.
Making sure it pulled the diffuser up in the right position. Eased off the jacks a fraction to make sure that all was correct.had to re-position
one of them. Eased off the four side screws a fraction and fully tightened screws across. till diffuser was secured firmly in position and re-tightened side screws. Crosswise screws are held in place by relatively flexible part of rear bumper so take it easy don't push it further then necessary.

Found Screws across the diffuser had to be positioned, slightly more vertical then finishing up flush with the angle of the diffuser surface.
Painted mine gunmetal grey

PS Had to trim a bit off the bottom front of the diffuser as it was coming in contact with the rear of the muffler. Causing a rattle!!! :)

Shaun Patterson
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Shaun Patterson » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:49 am

lancerdarryl wrote:No, they are only cosmetic as are all aero devices on road cars.
not compelty true my car is fast become very aerodynimcally functon but thats by design

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:59 pm

Yeah most aero bits on road cars don't really work, and even if they do won't work (or be effective) until you're well over the hwy speed limits. They are mostly there as a feel good exercise for the driver and for others to mock.

I bet if I took the big VRX wing off the back I'd get better hwy economy through better aerodynamics and less weight, yes I know they aren't very heavy.

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:01 pm

sarusa wrote:I mean this one
Image :)

I had one of them but got damaged from being rear ended a few weeks ago. Panel beaters said they couldnt source one anywhere but i believe you can get them from the states, how unsure if it's direct fit as im unsure if the USA lancers have the exact same rear bumper

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:12 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:Yeah most aero bits on road cars don't really work, and even if they do won't work (or be effective) until you're well over the hwy speed limits. They are mostly there as a feel good exercise for the driver and for others to mock.

I bet if I took the big VRX wing off the back I'd get better hwy economy through better aerodynamics and less weight, yes I know they aren't very heavy.

Don't be surprised when you remove the wing and it makes zero difference to the highway economy
If your really serious about better fuel economy the sooner you get the ECU tuned the better

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:36 pm

Did one long interstate trip without the wing, no noticeable difference, its now back on.

Yes a ECU tune is on my list, getting the suspension sorted next week, then new tyres. New Optima Yellow Top battery also on the cards.

Return to “Exterior”