***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Advice on boot swapping...

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

zeroshift
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Advice on boot swapping...

Postby zeroshift » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:10 pm

Should receive my ES boot lid in a couple of days. I was curious to know if there is anything I should know about the actual swapping process and the installation of my lip spoiler.

1. How long will it take (roughly) to swap over all the electrics and trim bits from my existing VRX boot to the shell? Is there anything I need to keep in mind, other than the issue with the boot button?

2. The lip spoiler is a genuine Mitsubishi one that is already painted. It will arrive in a couple of days also, so I've yet to see it. I've heard rumours about screws/bolts being used in a factory install. Is this true? Also, what should I use to fix it to the back? I'm not satisfied with simply double sided tape... does anyone know what adhesive Mitsubishi use?

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:15 pm

Yep I think the factory lip spoiler has two bolts that need to have holes drilled.

Sikaflex is what a lot of use to adhere things to cars, this is a very very strong silicon glue that will permanently stick, can be bought from bunnings about $30 for a tube (make sure you get the adhesion version rather then the sealer).

Swapping out the boot lights should only be a couple of screws one you have the inner boot carpet off.

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:39 pm

The most painful thing will be swapping over the wiring loom.

The lip spoiler will have 2 screws I believe (My ARS Replica did). If it is genuine, you will most likely get a template. If not, get yourself a paint marker, smear around the padding where the holes are on the lip and position on the car. This will show you where the holes need to be drilled.

You will need to remove the boot lid lining (approx 8 plastic clips)

There are 2 nuts (10mm) on each of the inside tail lights. There are also 2 plastic plugs on each side which locate the lights.

Once these are removed, remove the globes from the wiring loom and put aside so they don't break. Feed the loom though the boot.

Unscrew the boot (best to have a 2nd set of hands) and put aside. Install new boot, and reverse the process.

If you want to retain your boot button, this will need to be drilled most likely with a small holesaw. Remove the button from the existing boot, and have a look.

zeroshift
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby zeroshift » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:52 pm

Maybe I'll be best to get the lip spoiler and boot button drilled and installed by someone else. I don't see the rest being a problem for me though.

Any idea on a (rough) time frame?

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:54 pm

Drilling the lip is easy as long as you get the location of the holes right.

Timeframe is hard... I would give yourself a couple of hours.

I reckon with another set of hands I could get the whole swap done in 20mins not including drilling the lip spoiler.

Return to “Exterior”