***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

X Factor Air Dams

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:41 pm

There are markings on the inside of the bumper for the holes to be drilled anyway

robnkel
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby robnkel » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:10 pm

That would have been good to know, I may have removed the bumper had I known.
2010 Lancer Activ

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:23 pm

I actually dread the day I install mine.. following hte guide I did a rough fit with the airdams on the bumper.. not easy to get it perfectly straight! I wonder if its possible to drill from the wheel arch or from under the car hmm..
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

Shadows
Club Sponsor
Club Sponsor

Postby Shadows » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:14 pm

Step 1 ) Remove the front bumper

Step 2 ) Locate the factory pre-mark marking at the inner side of the bumper

Step 3) Drill holes at the marking from inner side of the bumper. the holes must be in oval shape.

Step 4 ) Install the front airdam to the bumper, at the same time do some adjustment to made sure it fit to the bumper without gap

Step 5 ) Drill holes at the under bumper and tighten with bolt & nuts

Step 6 ) Put back the bumper

Done !!!!

Estimated 1 hour
Image[flash width=600 height=200 loop=false]http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq110/X-Factordesign/E-MailBanner.swf[/flash]

Shadows
Club Sponsor
Club Sponsor

Postby Shadows » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:18 pm

robnkel wrote:It took me approc 2-3 hours in total.
The method was to put some sticky dots on the airdams then roll them on from the wheel arch end, when removed it leaves behind the dots, which is where you drill the holes.
This method isn't great as I needed to double up on the dots so as to leave dots behind when "unrolling" the airdam.Or else they wouldnt get left behind.
Because of the extra thickness of the dots it meant that the dots further from the wheel arch were no longer accurate.
Anyhow I managed but I ended up with a slight gap at the 90 degree wrap around at the starting point..ie the wheel arch.
A far better way would be for the airdams to arrive with a paper "template" which you would attach to the front bumber with some masking tape etc and simply drill holes at the marked positions. Far simpler, more accurate, and why am I the only person to think of it? Bugger me!! Its not rocket science.
A great product somewhat let down by poor installation instructions and methods.

The is the same method that apply from the OEM. :lol: :lol:
Image[flash width=600 height=200 loop=false]http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq110/X-Factordesign/E-MailBanner.swf[/flash]

Shadows
Club Sponsor
Club Sponsor

Postby Shadows » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:20 pm

robnkel wrote:It took me approc 2-3 hours in total.
The method was to put some sticky dots on the airdams then roll them on from the wheel arch end, when removed it leaves behind the dots, which is where you drill the holes.
This method isn't great as I needed to double up on the dots so as to leave dots behind when "unrolling" the airdam.Or else they wouldnt get left behind.
Because of the extra thickness of the dots it meant that the dots further from the wheel arch were no longer accurate.
Anyhow I managed but I ended up with a slight gap at the 90 degree wrap around at the starting point..ie the wheel arch.
A far better way would be for the airdams to arrive with a paper "template" which you would attach to the front bumber with some masking tape etc and simply drill holes at the marked positions. Far simpler, more accurate, and why am I the only person to think of it? Bugger me!! Its not rocket science.
A great product somewhat let down by poor installation instructions and methods.

Ideally this may not the best method to apply. but is the same as what OEM applying. :lol: :lol:

Sgt Kulpepper
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Sgt Kulpepper » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:53 pm

Just wondering if you got my email Shadows. I would pm you but Im under the 20 posts needed to do so.

Cheers

Shadows
Club Sponsor
Club Sponsor

Postby Shadows » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:18 pm

Sgt Kulpepper wrote:Just wondering if you got my email Shadows. I would pm you but Im under the 20 posts needed to do so.

Cheers

Yes !!! already added you name on the Q

Please refer to group buy first page : http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?p=121094#121094

Thanks

Sgt Kulpepper
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Sgt Kulpepper » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Could you please explain how the group buy works? Sorry for my ignorance.

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:01 pm

So I installed the front airdams after making sure that it wouldn't scratch when I go up my driveway (thanks for SIRVRX for testing :P)

Anyway, I looked on the inside of my bumper - didn't see any premarked holes for the airdams.

Used the X-factor method supplied, but I doubled up on the round markers. Also, before I pressed the airdam onto the bumper for the markings, I took the markings on and off the airdam to ensure that the markings would come off on the bumper when pressed against it.

I found that when drilling the holes, you only need to be careful of the water tank with the second screw on the drivers side (from the back). Also, after numerous tries, it seems the best way to enlarge the holes would be an UPWARDS oval shape. This way the airdams will fit FLUSH with the crease line on the lower bumper. Make sure when you tighten the screws that you press the airdam onto the bumper firmly (check the bottom of it). The first screw from the front is the WORST to tighten.

The Airdams fit reasonably well once all the screws are tightened. Very happy with them. There are some microgaps but nothing an average person will pick-up. I am very particular about detail so that's probably a reason why I picked up the microgaps.

Gave the airdams a good wax and most of the gaps are now hidden (as when the wax dries it turns white - cheap armour all wax :P).

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:22 pm

HAHAHA I assume you don't scrape? hell, if I didn't going up that incline there is no way you would even come close :lol:

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:33 am

Well, I havne't driven it up or down yet, just did a test run with masking tape :) No scraping surprisingly.. got it all on video too :P

tommo08
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby tommo08 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:43 pm

hey all i tried to email xfactor /shadows? a few weeks back about the front air dams? i havent heard anything was wondering if i got the wrong email or something??

was just wondering how much a set to sydney would go for??

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby RyanMK » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:53 pm

Try david.kuek@x-factordesign.com.

I got quoted A$232 including shipping a couple of months back. And that's with a free set of window visors thrown in.
VG/Ultra Racing/Whiteline/Work/Ralliart/Supercircuit/Cosworth/Pioneer/BC/Recaro

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:05 pm

Guy !!! very sorry for not responding. coz my systems was crash and just manage to get a new system to replace and setting out for business.

Yes, so long as there are enough participate we can start a group buy for WA.

PM me if you are ready.

Thanks !!!

This shadows last post in another thread.

Return to “Exterior”