***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Dealing with scratches/dents

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:29 am

Depending if your dad's insurance has no loss of NCB because of his current standing with them, sure, get it fixed. But, why not just buff out what you can and live with it for a while....

You could also go a bit ricey and get some mad-as decals made to cover said scratches....

That would cost less than the $500 for excess and is reversable (from all accounts) later when you could afford a respray on your own terms...

Just food for thought...

Fear454
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Fear454 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:34 am

is that smartguys a aus thing? as ive never seen it here in the us mite do some checking into that

bobcrusader
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby bobcrusader » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:40 am

Yes - Smartguys is an Aus thing. http://www.thesmartguys.com.au

My problem is the cars are parked close together and they open one door onto the other car. They are 3 and 5, so they don't understand how to open a door carefully...

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:24 pm

Fair enough mate.

t0omas
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby t0omas » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:51 pm

I always park my car far from every other car in parking lots but idiots seem to want to park beside me even if there are 20 spots around. Hell one day i went in walmart to get pop, came out and some idiot pushed a shopping cart into my front end. Some people....

chris
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby chris » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:38 pm

When we were kids my old dad put old tyres along the sides of the garage, the garage had brick walls, a bit like the fishermen do with their boats LOL this was sixty years ago, might be a tip for someone with young kids.
2009 ralliart

scottieh
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby scottieh » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:19 pm

i had some drunken idiot walk up my bonnet, across the roof and off the boot on the weekend.

luckly the dents are small and barely noticable, hoping the paintless dent repair guys can pop the dents out and touch up the few minor scratches.

i was fuming about it but, luck i didnt see them happen because id would flogged the life outta them. people have no respect for others cars. no matter how much you car for your car theres people out there who dont.
Scottieh

CJ09 VRX
Effect Grey
Stock

Tyson25
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Tyson25 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:26 pm

I just noticed the other day that about 2cm of the paint has delaminated (flaked) away from the bonnet leaving a white patch. I'm not sure what to do, might have to give the smartguys a call and see if it can be fixed
2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart

Scott_VRX_Fan
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Scott_VRX_Fan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:23 pm

bobcrusader wrote:I bought the Smartguys service from the Mitsubishi dealer when I bought the car - my kids are forever banging the car doors onto each other in the garage.

are they any good?
Mods Completed
ANZ Tazer 18" Wheels, Rear LED Tailights, GReddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust, Eibach Pro Kit Suspension 1.2" Front 0.8" Rear

Mods To Be Completed
Front Bumper Upgrade

Mods in Development
Brembo Brakes, Rear Wing, Bonnet, Inbuilt Sat Nav

NetGX
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby NetGX » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:03 am

Speaking of scratches, my car has the front quater scratched and paint removed for about 15cm.

Why can't people have the decency to leave a note, or at the very least, stop friggen trying to get into the park by continuing to keep scratching the bumper of my car, if you bump me, put your car in reverse and try parking somewhere else.

Geeeez.

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:06 pm

I found two new dents on my car today. :(
What are the recommendations for sorting these out myself?
One is on the rear RHS passenger door, clearly from someone slamming their car door into mine. It's very subtle, I only noticed the dent due to the way the light was coming off it. I'm thinking I can just pull the inside trim off the door and work it from from the inside?
The other is the rear bumper, someone has kissed it when getting in or out of a park?! The top of the bumper has a bit of a warp point. The paint hasn't broken but it does look like a bit "orange peel"-ish. Being it's plastic, I dont think pop back again? Perhaps apply heat and work it? *shrugs*
Then again, I'm happy to leave it if it's gonna cause more damage.
Last edited by The X on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:23 pm

VRX_Pete wrote:I found two new dents on my car today. :(
What are the recommendations for sorting these out myself?
One is on the rear RHS passenger door, clearly from someone slamming their car door into mine. It's very subtle, I only noticed the dent due to the way the light was coming off it. I'm thinking I can just pull the inside trim off the door and work it from from the inside?
The other is the rear bumper, someone has kissed it when getting in or out of a park?! The top of the bumper has a bit of a warp point. The paint hasn't broken but it does look like a bit "orange peel"-ish. Being it's plastic, I dont think pop back again? Perhaps apply heat and work it? *shrugs*
Then again, I'm happy to leave it if it's gonna cause more damage.

most plastic damage if its just a dent can be easly repaired with a bit of mild heat. then just pop it back to how it came.

even some metal can be fixed by a bit of heat. not so good for your paint tho.

Quixand
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Quixand » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:43 pm

All I have are weird random light scratches (three by my count) which I honestly don't know how i got.

It is barely visible, very light one-liners.

The thing is they are on random places... the longest one is actually on the spoiler.. no idea how i got that.

To any other person the car would look spotless but I know they're there :(

My mates keep on kidding me about having the worst parking spot cause it is between a post and a railing (stairs) and it is so narrow that it is very difficult to get out of the car, I had to make sure that my hands protect the door frame when getting out sideways (only possible way)... but i honestly wouldn't want any other parking spot cause atleast nobody gets to park beside me and if i dent my car then it is all my fault and nobody else... and not to mention that everybody who comes out of the lift of the basement parking will always see my CJ first being right next to the stairs just outside the lift doors :)

jamie885
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby jamie885 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:11 am

Im pretty careful where I park, we went on a holiday to the entrance and i had no choice but to park in a certain car park, came back bonnet was bent, front indicator was hanging off and bumper was misaligned. some how they had managed to back up over 20m into the front of where my car was parked.
Guess the bogans didnt like bmws

But it always shits me when people damage other peoples cars and drive off or damange them from not using common sense.

For the majority, the car is their second biggest assest why would you just willingly damage it by opening it on someone elses car?

Return to “Exterior”