Rattles!

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

jamie885
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Rattles!

Postby jamie885 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:29 am

My BMW was a 94 model and didn't have a single rattle, yet the Lancer is just over a month old and it has several. As does my mates lancer which is a year old.

Im going to post up solutions to rattle and try to find if other members have rattles from the same place.
If anyone has already fixed these post up where they were and how you fixed them.

So far the ones I have.
Passenger side dash - Im thinking its around the airvent closest to the door.

Behind the stereo - only sometimes but when its there its annoying.

shamrockshirts
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby shamrockshirts » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:35 am

Sounds very similar :D

I've had two CJ's in just over a year and they both rattle in these exact same places..I thought maybe the 1st one wasn't put together too well but the second one is just the same. Same rattles different car.

But the new 2010 model comes with better rattle options. I've also got a nice new creek going from the passenger back window area too. NICE!

jamie885
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby jamie885 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:44 am

Where are your's rattling?

shamrockshirts
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby shamrockshirts » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:16 am

Passenger side glove box area, and somewhere near/behind the stereo.

The creek at the back is a new one but with only 3000kms on the car I wasn't expecting that new feature...

The rear creek I suspect to be the swaybar or spring as its only when the chassis twists when driving up onto driveways or when cornering hard.

I find turning the stereo up fixes all of the above. :D

jamie885
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby jamie885 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:35 am

shamrockshirts wrote:Passenger side glove box area, and somewhere near/behind the stereo.

The creek at the back is a new one but with only 3000kms on the car I wasn't expecting that new feature...

The rear creek I suspect to be the swaybar or spring as its only when the chassis twists when driving up onto driveways or when cornering hard.

I find turning the stereo up fixes all of the above. :D

Same place as mine, good to know im not the only one.
If I get out of here early im going to go see Marty @ FHRX get some info on if he can put some dynamat or dynaliner in and shut it all up.

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:45 am

MY10 here also John and I have the glove box rattle and the rattle behind the stereo, although the stereo rattle seems to have disappeared in the last few days (I lost one of the clips when I removed it on Tuesday :P).

jamie885
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby jamie885 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:27 am

Now the question is has anyone sucessfully stopped the rattle?

Im going to try to pinpoint the rattles a bit more, take the headunit out have a look behind.

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:34 pm

I posted a thread to stop the rattle at the glovebox. All you need to do (for me) was to to remove hte glovebox, remove the piston, and wrap electrical tape around the two clips that hold the piston ins place. I've found that it stops the glovebox rattle completely - though now I've noticed more rattles.

The other rattles aren't as bad or loud, and only appear when I drive on country roads (read very course bitumen and potholes galore). There is one behind the stereo which I suspect my be part of my wiring? :S

Oh well, every car we've had has had rattles somewhere. Even my other friends with VWs or whatnot are somewhat worse at times.
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

jamie885
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby jamie885 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:43 pm

milobob wrote:I posted a thread to stop the rattle at the glovebox. All you need to do (for me) was to to remove hte glovebox, remove the piston, and wrap electrical tape around the two clips that hold the piston ins place. I've found that it stops the glovebox rattle completely - though now I've noticed more rattles.

The other rattles aren't as bad or loud, and only appear when I drive on country roads (read very course bitumen and potholes galore). There is one behind the stereo which I suspect my be part of my wiring? :S

Oh well, every car we've had has had rattles somewhere. Even my other friends with VWs or whatnot are somewhat worse at times.

I'll give that a go on the weekend and see if that works. Thats what I thought about the stereo rattle, will have to see if im bothered ripping it all out.

bryzabone
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby bryzabone » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:50 pm

i got a rattle behind the stereo-ish, to the right, in the dash. Sounds like a cable bundle hitting plastic on certain bumps.
One thats really annoying is in the instrument clusteri think, or behind. It might even be in the steering column under/behind the dash cluster, hard to tell when driving of course! lol
its more like a thud of hard plastic on hard plastic...urrgh!

i want them banished!!
For every "Drive Safely" sign, shouldn't there be a "Resume Normal Driving" sign?

blu_art
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby blu_art » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Hey guys, I had my lancer for more than 2years now. I had experience all rattles from a week of purchase. I took it to mitsubishi but they just added some foam tapes. But didnt help. The reason is to fix a rattle they have to remove most of the parts in dash & also have to identify the cause of the rattle CORRECTLY...! otherwise adding foam tape in wrong part can cause more rattles. Here are some rattles that I experienced & my solutions.

1) Rattle that come behind dash/ behind stereo area at about 1400rpm at cold weather. When you start your car early morning you will hear this more often. If you notice your dash there is like a foam tape in between your windscreen & dash which stops the rattle cause by dash panel touching the windscreen when engine is running. So if there is a slight gap in between the foam tape and windscreen still you will hear a rattle. Fix is buy a similar foam tape and add one more layer in between the current foam tape and windscreen. best way to do this by removing the dash completely. ( spend the whole day for this good luck)

2) There is another small ralltle when you drive over a rough surface above 40km/h you will hear creeks from two corners of you dash. This is caused by two plastics rubbing each other ( at the joining of dash panel & front pillar plastic) The fix is when you pull out the whole dash out just add a double sided tape in between these two plastics when assembling

3)Rattle that comes from passenger side glove box is caused by the bottom cover which is under the glove box. Remove this bottom cover by removing the two clips. add some tape around two pointy plastics on the botom cover & then add a thin layer or padding on top of the bottom cover. Now put it back & put two clips.

4) Road noise & engine noise reduction. If you pull the whole dash to above things then buy some 3M Sound deadner & then spray it carefully inside the dash panel are ON THE FIREWALL metal ( firewall the body part which separates cabin & engine areas. Lift the front floor carpets and spray some on the floor metal. Thinkness of the sound deadner coat depends on how much sound insulation you want.

Remove 4 wheels and clean the body part, make sure there is no mud or sand inside wheel arch. Now apply a thick coat and let it dry very well. If your car is manufactured after 09 june then most like it will have sound deadening insulation which can be seen on all 4 wheel arch.

Clone
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Clone » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:16 pm

Seems that most of you are having some sort of rattles at the front of the car. Mine is right at the rear, can't seem to pin point the location. It just rattles non-stop, no matter at what speed or how rough or smooth the road is.

Gonna take it back to the dealer and get them check it out on Tuesday.

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:47 pm

My driver's door rattles/buzzes.
Graham and I tried fixing it, didn't help.

I believe its a loose clip or something... Should be fixable, I just can't be bothered.

Problem with mine is as its in the door, turning the music up is what causes it, and making it louder makes it worse :P

lancervr
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancervr » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:07 pm

yes dire i have the same problem but mine is the front passenger door....

~LancerVR~
Your friendly neighbourhood Red Devil (cj-red)

PsyTrix
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby PsyTrix » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:21 am

I just got a new rattle the other day from the back left passenger door! its a nasty one to..

I'm now calling my car the Rattleart. You think taking it in to Mitsi will fix anything?

Return to “Interior”