Rear roof lights

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rear roof lights

Postby aspir3 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:48 pm

I have decided I am going to fit rear interior lights in the roof lining, just behind the handles above the rear doors. I was looking at my mates Wayne Gardiner VS Commodore which has them. I want to fit 2 lights to help with rear lighting as I have a sun roof and it is dark in the rear as I only have map lights.
His roof lining has a square cutout for the plastic surrounds and the light then pushes into the surround. This should be easy to install. I will need to take the roof lining out. This will make it easy to fit lights and then run my wires for lights. I want the lights to work like the interior light. E.G.they can be turned on/off, or on when a door is opened.
I would like peoples help on a few things before I start?
Where to purchase lights and what brand? I could buy from Holdens but prefer something like hella. Colour needs to match my interior.
How to wire? I could work it out but if someone already knows how the wiring is, it would help heaps.

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:01 pm

just buy some small LED downlights. they will work great, dunno where to buy from. installing would be easy. just connect them to your interior lights, then they will just behave like them. there is a place where you can buy Luxon LED downlights they are pretty expensive tho. about 40-50 each. or just buy normal LED downlights about 20-30 each, you can get 12V ones. you just need to look for them try electrical places or try places that specialize in LED lighting for boats and cars. if you need any other help at all ask adrian he knows everything, or i could help on things to do with electrical. so can adrian, but he knows more about the car then i do
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:02 pm

I think the best way to wire would be to tap into your map lights.

In the ES, my dome light I believe has a constant 12v and a switched negative so this may be something to bear in mind.

As for what sort of light, I have no idea... might be worth a trip to the wreckers and look around some cars till you find some that suit...

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:13 pm

Keep in mind mate, your airbags are behind there also ;)

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:28 pm

Taking the roof lining off is no easy task so I would set aside half a day to complete this one, but once it's off you should be able to run some wire to the map lights which can come on when the doors open, or even hook it up so they can be turned on by a switch in the back similar to the map lights.

Fitting them shouldn't be too hard, but once you've cut the lining it's permenant ;)
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:28 pm

Thanks guys. I want the lights to have it's own switch like the interior light. Downlikes would look cool but not as effective. I am not worried about cost.
Sir-vrx where are the air bags? Are they in the roof lining? This is just the type of thing I need to know, before starting.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:31 pm

The airbags run along the edge of the roof lining, right behind where it meets the side of the car, and behind the grab handles.

I don't have a pic on hand,but i'll try and find one

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:38 pm

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:40 pm

Are the air bags attached to the roof lining? I have read the post on how to remove the roof lining, but no mention of airbags. The car may have been an es.
If I remove the roof lining I would probably find the answers, to where the airbags sit. I then could find an appropriate position.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:02 pm

They aren't on the roof linin per se.

I was thinking more of the problem of when they deploy, it pushes the edges roof lining out of the way, and could throw the light out of the lining into a passenger's head

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:15 pm

SIR-VRX wrote:They aren't on the roof linin per se.

I was thinking more of the problem of when they deploy, it pushes the edges roof lining out of the way, and could throw the light out of the lining into a passenger's head

Yep. I understand. Looking at the previous photo if I put them about 100mm from the edge, they should be okay.
Do the map lights have power all the time, and come on when the negative is earthed from opening the door or turning switch on?

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:21 pm

That photo is just a computer generated example lol wouldn't rely on it for accuracy :P

I can't find pic of a lancer that has exploded curtain airbags, that'll show you perfectly if I can find one.

As for the wiring, I'll look into it for you. Don't know off the top of my head.

billyboy
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby billyboy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:24 pm

This may help, from when my car was stripped. Guess if you install them above the oh sh!t handles should clear the airbag.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:36 pm

That photo helps heaps.I plan to fit lights about where the screw is right of the rear right handle, holding the air bag. I plan to take photos, and post to help others.
I wonder whether I have the same wiring as I do not have the centre light?

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:40 pm

That's exactly the type of photo I was trying to find! haha or the deployed aiirbag one

Thanks billyboy

Return to “Interior”